Import GLM -> export XSI -> Carcass -> too much verts??

Guest KENNITHH
Go to solution Solved by DT.,

Guest KENNITHH

I had this idea that 'should' work but for some strange reason it does not.

The theory is , when you import an original model (glm) and export it as XSI and recompile it with carcass, it should work right? Well it doesn't :/

As a test I imported this original hand model in 3dsmax with the GLM importer then exported it with Archangel35757's new XSI exporter, tried to compile it with Carcass and got this error

Error: Surface 'lglove' has 1005 verts, max is 1000!
Warning: Surface can't use stencil shadows, #verts(1005) > SHADER_MAX_VERTS/2 (500)
( "lglove" )

In ModView, the original model's lglove only has 411 verts, same thing shows in 3dsmax.

Any ideas?

4a2e48f01a.jpg

Sounds like every triangle is being separated from each other (i.e. none of the adjacent triangles are sharing vertices) during export. Problem with the exporter?

The dotXSI file shows 411 vertices, 486 triangles, 486 normals, 411 UV's. So the triangles are sharing vertices.  More likely this is some sinister case of Carcass creating additional vertices for materials, normals, UVs, etc. -- I'm just guessing

• Solution

What's your model.car look like?

Also, please post what your export options are and provide your max file.

EDIT:

I imported your .xsi file and it appears you did not set any smoothing groups, and then proceeded to export using smoothing groups. Either set smoothing groups or choose Vertex (ignore smooth groups).

Archangel35757 likes this
Guest KENNITHH

I imported your .xsi file and it appears you did not set any smoothing groups, and then proceeded to export using smoothing groups. Either set smoothing groups or choose Vertex (ignore smooth groups).

Thanks DT85, that seemed to be the problem

So i'd either have to use "ignore smooth groups", or add smoothing groups and "use smoothing groups" in the export