Accept-Encoding gzip, deflate
Accept-Language en-US,en;q=0.5
Connection keep-alive
Host www.xhaus.com
User-Agent Mozilla/5.0 (Android 4.4; Mobile; rv:41.0) Gecko/41.0 Firefox/41.0
Via HTTP/1.1 alp2nz04msp1ts02.wnsnet.attws.com

Your browser software transmitted the following HTTP headers

URL: http://xhaus.com/headers

Request parameterValueRequested URI/headersRequest MethodGETRemote IP Address<REDACTED>Remote IP Port45035Protocol versionHTTP/1.1HTTP Header*ValueAcceptapplication/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,*/*;q=0.5Accept-Charsetutf-8, iso-8859-1, utf-16, *;q=0.7Accept-EncodinggzipAccept-Languageen-USHostwww.xhaus.comUser-AgentMozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1ViaHTTP/1.1 alp2nz04msp1ts02.wnsnet.attws.comX-Att-DeviceidSAMSUNG-SGH-I777/I777UCKK6X-Wap-Profile

Yeah. Sorry, won't fix. I could, but it'd break again when I implement TLS, which is within the next 6 weeks if all goes well (hopefully within the next 4). Your versions of Android and the Android native browser are just too old, and supporting them would weaken the encryption for modern browsers.

Going to have to tell you to use Firefox or Chrome or something instead, sorry. Or to get a newer phone or Android version.

So what internet browsers (for older Android) do you support besides Chrome and Firefox?

• 2 weeks later...

Requested URI: /headers

Request method: GET

Remote IP Address: <redacted>

Remote IP Port: 33305

Protocol Version: HTTP/1.1

HTTP Accept: text/html, application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,image/webp,*/*;q=0.8

HTTP Accept/encoding: gzip, deflate, sdch

HTTP Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.8

HTTP Connection: keep-alive

HTTP Host: xhaus.com

HTTP Referrer: http://jkhub.org/topic/6435-forums-are-broken-on-my-android-cellphone/

HTTP User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 5.0; SAMSUNG-SM-G870A Build/LRX21T) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko). SamsungBrowser/2.1 Chrome/34.0.1847.76 Mobile Safari/537.36

HTTP X-Wap-Profile: http://wap.samsungmobile.com/uaprof/SM-G870A.xml

Also, @@Cerez and @@Wystan are also having problems. Cerez reports problems on desktop Firefox (which I'm using right now without issues) and howismyssl.com is reporting "mostly good"

I have no info from Wystan. If other people are having issues with the site, I suggest sending me an email.

I can confirm that the problem is browser specific. With Eez's help I was able to log in and post here using Chrome.

But I wouldn't call version 37.0.2 of Firefox ancient, @@Caelum. It was released end of April 2015.

Why are we pushing for bleeding edge requirements with the site? That will exclude a lot of users...

@@Caelum, I wasn't taking a jab at you. I trust your expertise, but we have to bear in mind that not everyone is running on an unlimited broadband connection, and having a browser version that is a few months old shouldn't stop me from being able to use the site. But I understand the reasons for the implementation now -- DDoS attacks are not pretty. Thank you for looking into this. It seems to be working fine now. I will update my version of Firefox, of course, as soon as I have some bandwidth to spare -- but it's good to know other users will be able to use the site as well.

All things considered, I think the going forward plan looks reasonable from a user perspective as well, with the exception of IE11+. Is it possible to run IE11 on Windows 7 at all? Does anyone know?

Android browsers are problematic, because they are not updated on the devices often enough (I know, I own an older Android phone as well). Often "up-to-date" is not actually up-to-date when it comes to Android. These browsers can handle simple web pages, but when it comes to web software like a bulletin board (forums), depending on the age of the device and its maximum supported version of Android OS, they may not be up to the challenge. This is not something to do with JKHub and its setup specifically -- this is a common problem with these browsers and advanced web software.

Occasionally when I navigate to pages after idling for a while, I just get a Connection Reset message in Firefox (latest). Sometimes I get a JKHub 500 Error page screen. Refreshing usually fixes it.

I can second this. I've received a 500 status and "connection reset" on more than a few occasions as well.

The user is being filtered by my DDoS protection. If I made my DDoS protection serve a page for every malicious request instead of sending a one-packet TCP reset, I might as well not have DDoS protection at all; it'd get horribly overwhelmed.

What about not serving a full page, but simply presenting an error message at the top, alerting the user that their browser doesn't meet the standards the site requires? And to contact you if they believe this is in error?

I'm thinking a yellow-coloured banner inserted through a combination of a very small server-side response and a snippet of Javascript to handle it? In any case, something simple for you/us to implement, but that would let the user know why the site suddenly stopped working for them -- so they're not left hanging, wondering what the hell is going on, like I did.

My first thought was that my account had been wrongly tampered with or compromised, actually. I had no idea it was browser version specific. I thought I was completely blocked out of using my account for some reason. I didn't think about trying another browser until I found out I wasn't the only one having this problem, and until @@eezstreet kindly suggested it to me.

According to someone on #jacdoers, Opera 33 on Windows does not work; headers:

Request parameter              Value

Requested URI                  /headers
Request Method                 GET
Remote IP Address              186.215.54.145
Remote IP Port                 62343
Protocol version               HTTP/1.1

HTTP Header*                   Value

Accept                         text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,image/webp,*/*;q=0.8
Accept-Encoding                gzip, deflate, lzma, sdch
Accept-Language                en-US,en;q=0.8
Connection                     keep-alive
Host                           xhaus.com
Referer                        http://www.xhaus.com/headers
Upgrade-Insecure-Requests      1
User-Agent                     Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/46.0.2490.86 Safari/537.36 OPR/33.0.1990.115
  • 3 years later...