MP crashing at startup!

MoJo JoJo

It's not failing to create uix86.dll, it's succeeding. So I'm not sure why it would be crashing. It seems to be crashing in uix86.dll itself.

It's certainly not crashing inside OpenJK's uix86.dll, it's loading another UI DLL that uses the legacy API.

Give it a shot with +set fs_game "OpenJK" to be sure.

Cerez, minilogoguy18 and eezstreet like this

Hmm... that actually makes sense. It seems for whatever reason the OpenJK binary can't read the contents of "assets0.pk3", which may easily be the real cause of the crash.

Not sure how you're coming to that conclusion. The log doesn't mention anything about assets0.pk3. All the loading failed messages are what you'd see in a typical installation. You can try it out for yourself too :)
Cerez likes this

Not sure how you're coming to that conclusion. The log doesn't mention anything about assets0.pk3. All the loading failed messages are what you'd see in a typical installation. You can try it out for yourself too :)

Oh, good point. I mistook the STEs for STRs in the log. In that case I'm really not sure what's causing the crash.

It's certainly not crashing inside OpenJK's uix86.dll, it's loading another UI DLL that uses the legacy API.

Give it a shot with +set fs_game "OpenJK" to be sure.

Bingo, it finally runs.

The question I have now is, shouldn't it NOT be needed to have a batch file using +set fs_game OpenJK? Is there still some underlying problem that this is just putting a band aid on?

Cerez likes this

As far as I know, whatever is in the OpenJK folder in GameData will be loaded first (or, rather, last) when you run an OpenJK binary, and you shouldn't need to use the forced game mode, unless something is overriding this behaviour -- which is what seems to be happening in your case.

Delete any risidual local dll files within the base folder under GameData/base and in My Documents\My Games\OpenJK\base and the OpenJK mod folder for both root paths as well.

One thing to note is... You need to not have openjk.pk3 and openjk-x86.pk3  You want the latter only and you want the most recent one from the most recent build.  In base or in OpenJK.

Yeah, the crash in this case probably isn't related to OpenJK itself or something for OJK to fix. Without knowing more about the UI DLL it was trying to load, it just sounds like a broken code mod (or one that relies specifically on the memory layout of jamp.exe)

eezstreet likes this

Delete any risidual local dll files within the base folder under GameData/base and in My Documents\My Games\OpenJK\base and the OpenJK mod folder for both root paths as well.

One thing to note is... You need to not have openjk.pk3 and openjk-x86.pk3  You want the latter only and you want the most recent one from the most recent build.  In base or in OpenJK.

What would the names of these files be specifically that I should be deleting?

I keep trying all of the suggested answers and the only way it seems to run is as it is now using a .bat file with

+set fs_game OpenJK

contained within it. Removing the openjk.pk3 causes a crash where as moving this line from the .bat file no matter how I move around the .dll files causes a crash.

I'm just gonna call it good for now since it works and move on to my Rend2 issues which is probably due to my old ass GPU.

I keep trying all of the suggested answers and the only way it seems to run is as it is now using a .bat file...

Note that you don't have to use a BAT file. You can append the force-game-mode command to the end of the target path of your game's Windows shortcut as well (after the quotes). More seamless.