[WIP] Raven's Claw 1st Person Cockpit...

I'd like to see the thrust controls and steering for the pilot be closer to the face, that way it looks like you're actually flying the ship.

[in my Han Solo voice...] Well, flyin' a spaceship ain't like shootin' a rifle kid-- where you're holding the rifle up to eye-level  :P.

I did move the grips forward and up a bit; but they are not going to be in a straight-ahead view-- neither would a typical yoke type steering wheel...

kyle_piloting_sideview_zpssoax345q.png

Kyle_piloting1_zpstqac1muv.png

EDIT:

kyle_piloting2_zpsqgv0er5x.png

Edited by Archangel35757
Noodle and Bek like this

Due to a lack of schematics... I'm conceptualizing (as an Aerospace Engineer)... how the crew gets access to the flight cabin. So far I'm leaning towards something similar to the B-1 Lancer bomber (the drop down ladder depicted below):

8bVf2_zpsbwsl8mjh.jpg

Where the access door shown here is similar to the door shown in the JO cinematic video (albiet the other side):

B1_crew_access_zpsymb1vc7f.jpg

...and upon closing, the steps would rotate to make a flat walkway back to the rear of the ship and the cargo hold.

Thoughts?

Ok... so now the directional pedals (similar to the Bell 525) are modeled and in-place.  I also raised the grips 2.5 inches... and tweaked the sitting pose so it wasn't so slouchy (it still needs refinement...).  This is what it currently looks like:

withPedals2_zpsn1zxsx5c.png

...I still have a few more displays to place on the console. :winkthumb:

Bek likes this

No. It uses a separate skeleton.

So the Raven'sClaw 1st person view models would need to contain bones for any animated controls/levers ...as well as pilot/co-pilot 1st person bones/geometry?

What about ability to "bolt" a full _humanoid GLM/GLA to a seat tag-- and simply have a reduced 1st person mesh for the player's character?

Ok... because I want to have a ship that can be explored (albiet limited) ...I'm brainstorming how things would look beyond the main cockpit door.

I imagine there would be a lavatory...

Are there makeshift bunks? Or is it just a large internal cargo bay? I imagine there is a ramp at the rear that lowers down for cargo loading…

...or does it have the capability to carry a cargo container externally? Similar to this:

S-64%204edit.jpg

Post your ideas...

Each cockpit (if we're going for multiple) has its own skeleton, but uses the same animset for all of them.

That would mean the cockpit GLA animset would have to contain all bones for each cockpit-- assuming there are minor variations. As well as pilot/co-pilot movements (assuming some moves are mirrored)

EDIT:@@eezstreet - I would recommend each craft have its own unique cockpit view model and animset.

What you'd need to do is:

- animate the whole scene

- select export kyle + his anims to his own file(s)

- select export jan + her anims to her own file(s)

- select export cockpit + its anims to its own file(s)

Kyle & Jan's animations will go in the _humanoid.gla, while the raven cockpit will be in its own gla. But why have this as a viewmodel and not just an animated ghoul2 model prop for a map?

eezstreet and Bek like this

What you'd need to do is:

- animate the whole scene

- select export kyle + his anims to his own file(s)

- select export jan + her anims to her own file(s)

- select export cockpit + its anims to its own file(s)

Kyle & Jan's animations will go in the _humanoid.gla, while the raven cockpit will be in its own gla. But why have this as a viewmodel and not just an animated ghoul2 model prop for a map?

Please elaborate on your last sentence/comment... @@eezstreet wanted to have one or two flight missions-- therefore I thought it had to be a 1st person view model.

It's not quite a .veh vehicle-- or is it? Ideally we/I want to be able to look around the cockpit & out the windows with some sort of "free look" capability like in other flight Sims (with an auto return to straight ahead view???). So potentially you could see the Kyle or Jan model sitting in the other seat doing scripted animations.

This is breaking new ground so we should think it thru.

Bek likes this

Well I thought this was just for a cinematic where NPCs would be interacting with it. For the viewmodel, I have an idea. Have the first person view rendered onto one of the screens infront of Kyle and have only kyles hands, joysticks and the screen visible to the player. I'll do a concept if you don't follow.

Well I thought this was just for a cinematic where NPCs would be interacting with it. For the viewmodel, I have an idea. Have the first person view rendered onto one of the screens infront of Kyle and have only kyles hands, joysticks and the screen visible to the player. I'll do a concept if you don't follow.

That wouldn't work for looking around inside the cockpit.

Well no it won't, but it would make things a bit annoying if your mouse moved the view around when you're just trying to aim the crosshair. So I vote the view shouldn't be moveable, at least by the player.

You misunderstand... the default view would be looking straight-ahead... just moving the mouse cursor would NOT move the "view" -- you would need to hold down say the ALT key in conjunction with other controls (mouse?) to slew the head bone around and dynamically look around the cockpit.

...and it could automatically return to the straight-ahead view when you released the keys. Also you could have Function keys mapped to specific views: left, right, up, etc.

Ah ok, that's good then. I'm just thinking about how Call of Duty's & Battlefield's cinematics are done. Now you wouldn't need to physically move the head bone around in the code, just bolt the view camera to it. Model-wise you'd only need Kyle's body visible, and surf off his head + face + eyes & mouth.

Why would you want/need to move the camera around the cockpit though (disregarding cinematic cameras)?

Ah ok, that's good then. I'm just thinking about how Call of Duty's & Battlefield's cinematics are done. Now you wouldn't need to physically move the head bone around in the code, just bolt the view camera to it. Model-wise you'd only need Kyle's body visible, and surf off his head + face + eyes & mouth.

Why would you want/need to move the camera around the cockpit though (disregarding cinematic cameras)?

...more realism I suppose. If I recall correctly X-Wing Alliance does something like that

X-wing alliance did feature in cockpit views with pan-able camera. Though the original cockpits weren't very detailed. I believe someone made an XWA Upgrade version of the ravens claw. Check out darksabers site. Might be simpler to convert the OPT file.

IIRC, they used the JKO MD3 interior model that I posted earlier in this thread... I'm going for a more realistic 3D interior cockpit. :winkthumb: