JK GAME CRASH

I thought I would stick this here as I didn't really find a lot of subject on this site about it. And there is quite a lot of new players from the Steam community asking about these games crashing and not working. Some people have a specific PC / rig and have major issues. Others might have the same PC and OS and have no issues. Can anyone shed some more light on this? Is it a development issue or are there more specifics? For example, I just went to test a couple levels the other day on Jedi Outcast. I added 2 bots, joined the game and my PC froze. WTH? I've been running this game on this PC for the last 2 years with no issues. Now all of a sudden I add BOTs of all things and it crashes?!?! No bots, it runs just fine. JA has no issues. I think the major issues for other players for the most part is that the game doesn't run AT ALL. When it's first fired up, it crashes immediately. I know the game doesn't cost that much but it seems to be riddled with issues. It would be nice if these people had more solutions here that they havn't tried already.

When the game first came out I bought it and it wouldn't work on my computer, it had to do with the open gl lighting i think.  I took the game back and got Grand theft Auto 3.  It wasn't until I purchased a new computer that it started working for me and history has been set since then.  I can only speculate about what my problem was, maybe that open gl lighting has something to do with the game not working for some people.

Can you post any error messages? How do you know it's crashed? Can you provide screenshots? Can you post any error messages?

Nope. Only that my screen and PC was frozen. Otherwise YES, I would have provided some information. It's a windows 7 PC. ATI Radeon 4300/4500.

Yes that's what it is even with the latest drivers. So the issue is this:

Jedi Academy (and Jedi Outcast) games are built on top of the Quake III engine, which uses OpenGL, not Direct3D.

Get an nVidia card if you want to play these games. (Because ATI's OpenGL support is hit and miss as well on Windows.) Quote from Wikpedia: A very famous complaint was made by high-profile game developer John D. Carmack in his .plan file in which he urged Microsoft to abandon Direct3D in favor of OpenGL. So there it is.

Get an nVidia card if you want to play these games. (Because ATI's OpenGL support is hit and miss as well on Windows.) Quote from Wikpedia: A very famous complaint was made by high-profile game developer John D. Carmack in his .plan file in which he urged Microsoft to abandon Direct3D in favor of OpenGL. So there it is.

This hasn't been true for at least 4 or 5 years. ATI's/AMD's OpenGL drivers have been stable for a long time now. John Carmack's .plan file was from 18 years ago - things have changed substantially since then, but I don't see how that is at all relevant to your problem.

So, I'll ask again - do you have to reboot your PC after JKA has crashed to get your PC running again? Have you tried playing in windowed mode? Are you sure it's not just the JKA window that has frozen?

Yes my PC restarted once but didnt do it again. The screen freezes so I usually restart to get the screen back to normal from bright. Why doesnt JA do this? I already stated its OUTCAST and not JA. Im well aware of how far video support has come along. Yes I have played in windowed mode. Sometimes I have issues, sometimes not. Xycaleth, you seem to have a grasp of whats going on. Any ideas why one game freezes and not the other? Its vitually the same game.

Yes my PC restarted once but didnt do it again. The screen freezes so I usually restart to get the screen back to normal from bright. Why doesnt JA do this? I already stated its OUTCAST and not JA. Im well aware of how far video support has come along. Yes I have played in windowed mode. Sometimes I have issues, sometimes not. Xycaleth, you seem to have a grasp of whats going on. Any ideas why one game freezes and not the other? Its vitually the same game.

So you're saying it's the game that's freezing. Not your entire computer. These are two completely different things and the solutions to both are different.

Have you updated your graphics drivers to the latest version? Crashing on start up was a common issue a few years ago for OpenGL games which didn't handle the GL extensions string (a bit of text to tell you what additional capabilities the driver has) correctly but it was fixed a few months later. It might be that you happen to have a version that crashes?

I have the latest driver. I have zero issues with JA, with maxed out settings. I wont change any drivers because its a minor issue. I can still play everything normally except for adding bots. Maybe its the extreme triangle count? I think that most onboard graphics shouldn't have any issues with quake games. However, many players are posting problems with integrated graphics.

Do you use any mods? Why not play it in full screen.How does it freeze, does it give out any sort of error messages both in games and as a crash to desktop error.

Yes I use mods. Most mods have been installed for the last 2-3 years. Sorry I forgot to mention how it freezes. It freezes by displaying the last frame I looked at before freezing. Usually a screen of me ingame. Could any windows updates have anything to do with it? It only started after the last update.

So you're saying it's the game that's freezing. Not your entire computer. These are two completely different things and the solutions to both are different.

Oooh boy.. I'm going to roll out..

just_relaxing_on_my_chair.gif

..far  awaay from this thread