Creating small, simple mesh

Hello. I'm working on model for my friend, and I came across an issue. Take a look at this: https://jkhub.org/images/vVYkbNZ.png

The orange thingy is supposed to be some kind of device on Nautolan's chest. The problem is, right now it's only textured and as you might guess, it's deforming as torso mesh. I want the device to be other mesh, moving with chest, but without bending. I'm asking for very simple mesh, just rectangle with some 3D Dimensions added (width) so it looks like it's really some kind of box, not just a texture. I'll provide you with all files to work with but... would anyone be willing to help me out with this? (Along with mesh I'd like a simple texture already created, since I'm noob in UVV Mapping)

Yes, I understand the procedure, and know what should be done in order to achieve the goal. This will sound a bit strange, but I understand a lot about modelling in theory, but I can't actually do anything besides simple frankenstein.

@@Cerez Sadly I'm using Blender, so it's not an option. Unless you can work with it too? :)

@@eezstreet Thanks for advice, I'll check this out. However I'm not sure whether I could use any of his work or not, since, well you know what frankensteining is.. (this would be for closed community use only tho).

She uses silo actually.

I use both Silo (for modelling) and 3DS Max (for weighting), @@Wystan. I have used Blender for importing models to study weighting, but I'm not familiar with Blender as a tool for modelling.

Yes, I understand the procedure, and know what should be done in order to achieve the goal. This will sound a bit strange, but I understand a lot about modelling in theory, but I can't actually do anything besides simple frankenstein.

However I'm not sure whether I could use any of his work or not, since, well you know what frankensteining is.. (this would be for closed community use only tho).

@@Veosar, on second thought, adding a simple object like this to your model would be a good, simple first tutorial into modelling. You should take this opportunity to better your skills. It will teach you the basics of creating a 3D mesh, UV unwrapping it, and weighting it to a bone. I actually think it would be a good idea if you took it as a creative challenge for yourself. There are plenty of tutorials both here on JKHub and on YouTube on how to use Blender, and how go through this process, and you already have reference material to work with, as well as a basic understanding of how Blender works. I think you should go for it.

Okay, so I thought I will give it a try and I came across few issues. I created new mesh, scaled and modified it properly so it looks like I want it, I extruded the edges so I have this 3D kind of look, I even managed to weight it properly, but UV Mapping... Yeah, UV Mapping is the hardest part. I created new UV Map in "Object Data" menu by basically clicking "+" icon, I divided my screen into two views (one with model, second with UV Map), but then I just couldn't make it forward. When I selected the mesh, and done either "Unwrap" or "Smart UV Project" it looked kind of good, but I wasn't able to export the model. The error said "Non-triangle face found!". I read about it, and I found out that the solution is to select everything and click Ctrl+T to make all faces triangles since JK3 engine requires it. Okay, I thought it was done... but I was wrong. Next error, after another "Smart UV Project", was: "UV Seam found! Split meshes in seams.", and that completely blew me away. I'm really noobish about UV Mapping, I have no idea what to do, I tried to search for it but without any success. Can anyone help me?

@@Cerez

@@mrwonko

@@eezstreet

Mesh without diving into triangles: https://jkhub.org/images/GhLwgtV.png

Mesh after diving into triangles with UV Map: https://jkhub.org/images/GTbGO34.png

If somebody needs .blend to figure out what's wrong, just PM me and I'll give it for you.

@BTW. I didn't come to that moment yet but I guess in order to give this mesh a texture created in Photoshop I would have to create 512x512, 1024x1024 (or so on) texture, take UV Map as template and texture it, then just select the created file in Blender? Am I right?

As far as I know the "UV Seam found! Split meshes in seams." error is a known bug/issue with Blender, and there's an easy fix for it. In any case, you're not far from having completed your project, so don't worry. I don't know much about Blender, so I can't help directly.

@@mrwonko, I summon thee, too.  ^_^

@BTW. I didn't come to that moment yet but I guess in order to give this mesh a texture created in Photoshop I would have to create 512x512, 1024x1024 (or so on) texture, take UV Map as template and texture it, then just select the created file in Blender? Am I right?

Roughly, yes. You will need to add the new texture image file as a "material" in Blender before you can apply it to the model. @@IrocJeff has just been through this in detail, so he can help you.

All you do to make a uv mesh is select your mesh, hit u, and then select unwrap or smart unwrap. Then, ctrl & Left Arrow Button 5 times until you get to the uv window. It should be unwrapped and then you have to fit it to the grid. As far as textures are concerned its still complicated for me.

This video should help you out with the unwrapping part, using seams, and will also show you how to paint and import the finished uv map back in.. He goes kinda fast in that part, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2-FfB9kRmE

Cerez likes this

Sadly I couldn't succeed. I watched both videos but it still won't work. After doing just what you @@IrocJeff said, I kept getting error about non-triangle faces, and when I made them triangles, UV Seams error appeared. I just don't get it :/

I tried dividing the mesh into edge seams but it just doesn't work, I still get the same error.

Langerd likes this

As far as I know the "UV Seam found! Split meshes in seams.

" error is a known bug/issue with Blender, and there's an easy fix for it.

I wouldn't call it a bug, it's just a missing feature. Ghoul 2 models are split at the seams, and since the exporter can't do that automatically, you have to do it manually.

Cerez likes this

Select the edges that you've marked as seams, press space, and type 'edge split' to get the option for that.

This is just something I made to kinda show you what I'd do for a box shape.  You don't need a face on the back of the box since no one will see it.  Mine's also not triangulated yet.

blender-edges_zpswtloocrx.png

Also, it looks like you need to select your mesh, go into the editing tools, and recalculate the normals.

Okay, I just can't get it working. I don't know, I managed to export it, however my UV Map was a dissaster. I weighted all vertexes to thoracic (the closest bone), however it still clips into torso since it deforms, and my mesh doesn't. Anyone has any ideas how to do that more efficient? 

Could anyone maybe try going for it, and explain me how he did it afterwards? I can show you the effect I want on the texture: http://scr.hu/22as/u1nr2