SP voice replacement?

Let's say I wanted to put in new audio files to replace the current ones you hear when your SP character talks. They are just modified versions of the base ones; same lines and same timing, I've simply added some processing to them.

1) Easy thing to do, hard thing do? The replacement itself, not the modification of the files. Nothing hard coded that would get in the way, I'm assuming?

2) Anything I should know regarding proper format that wouldn't be obvious at first (sample rate, bit rate etc.)?

3) There's separate voices in SP depending on if you choose a male or female character, if I made a mod that let me use a custom model in SP, could I then create a third voice option just for that character, or is it hard coded to have binary options (male voice or female voice)?

Thanks for reading.

1)All you probably have to do is keep the filenames the same. Put it all in a pk3 with the right folder hierarchy and it should work. I think pk3 files are loaded alphabetically so just make you name it so it load after the base stuff does. Like "z_newvoices.pk3" or similar.

2) I think most of the files are at 44100 hz so you'd just have to keep that in mind. 

I have no idea for number 3.

1)All you probably have to do is keep the filenames the same. Put it all in a pk3 with the right folder hierarchy and it should work. I think pk3 files are loaded alphabetically so just make you name it so it load after the base stuff does. Like "z_newvoices.pk3" or similar.

2) I think most of the files are at 44100 hz so you'd just have to keep that in mind. 

I have no idea for number 3.

Thanks. I intend to just keep the names and formats the same obviously, but wanted to check if it could take different formats etc. just out of curiosity.

No, to my knowledge the game engine is pretty fixed on a particular formatting for audio. I think you need to make sure it is sampled at 128 kbps as well, and that it is mono (for speech files). Otherwise it will simply drop them with an error.

Edit: No.3 is a good question... I'm not sure... I haven't looked into it. Presumably the sound library is referenced in the "sounds.cfg" file, but that could be only relevant to MP... If it does affect SP, too, however, then all you would need to do is create a new sound directory where your sound file names are the same as the original, and point your model to use this new sound directory via the "sounds.cfg" text file.

No, to my knowledge the game engine is pretty fixed on a particular formatting for audio. I think you need to make sure it is sampled at 128 kbps as well, and that it is mono (for speech files). Otherwise it will simply drop them with an error.

Thanks. Only thing I need to confirm is question number three then. At least I have enough info to get started on the audio processing which should only take... two or three days... thanks to each line being it's own short file. 206 files to go through. Here we go.

Do some test runs before you run the batch conversion. Make sure that your settings will work, first.

I will, yeah. Unfortunately batch conversion won't be happening. The only way to do this would be one file at a time.

You need to replace jaden_male and jaden_female , all the soundtrack like JAK001 JAK002 etc.

the format for voice audio speech is MP3, mono, 44100 hertz.

the stereo sound is used only for music dinamic soundtracks.

address of path to replace:

sound/chars/jaden_female/

sound/chars/jaden_male/

uhere you found all audio file of jaden on the dialogue of the game. for the sounds of Gameplay instead you need to look into the misc subfolder and edit it. as told @@Cerez, you can however edit the voice of jaden for combat and gameplay changing the Sounds.CFG.

set the name of the folder you want the engine pick up the sound and the sex of character

example:

Jedi_hf

f

replaced with

Io2

M

(and jaden get the sound of imperial officer 2 ) :D

because now put voice by sound/chars/io2/misc

Botdra and Cerez like this