The Origins of Jedi Academy

Hmm... I'm curious... how many of you know the origins of where the Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy single player story actually comes from? :)

Did you know there was a novel series published by the same name, that set the foundations for the game's story?

JediAcademyTrilogy.jpg

The Jedi Academy Trilogy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jedi_Academy_trilogy

Did you know that the visual direction (vibrant student clothes, etc.) came from the very short comic book series that was published, based on the trilogy?

500px-Leviathantpb.jpg leviathan1.jpg

Lukesjedi.jpg

Jedi Academy comics: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_Academy:_Leviathan

Smoo likes this

As far as I know, the Jedi Academy series and the Jedi Academy game are unrelated to each other, to the point that they have only a similar name, feature similar places and some characters. While JA is a continuation of the Jedi Knight series, with Jedi Outcast being a sequel to Mysteries of the Sith and Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight games, the Jedi Academy books and other materials are simply a new generation of stories, telling us the events after Battle of Endor, when Luke formed the Jedi Praxeum on Yavin IV.

Notably, some elements do come close, like Jedi Historian Tionne which is mentioned briefly in JA game. And other elements, like the academy itself.

It was lated reconned (I think), that Desann wasn't the actual bad guy behind all that mess in Jedi Outcast and Reborn stuff. In additional sources and books it was revealed, that the organization was called Empire Reborn, and it was controlled by the Dark Jedi Hethrir. He was the one, who asked Galak Fyar to make experiments, with Desann and Tavion actually leading the forces of the Reborn warriors.

There is even a picture of a reborn from the within of one of the books.

Reborn_TofG.jpg

That is actually a Reborn, you were fighting in Jedi Outcast. :)

Too bad, there is also a book about Jaden Korr, which rewrites somehow his pre-Ja story, making him a very specific character... regarding his origins. I don't like this. To me Jaden is a simple guy, who proved himself to become a Jedi.

Smoo and Cerez like this

The comic, written by the same writer based on the book trilogy, seems to have some very close associations with hoe the game turned out. I think it has been a major inspiration.

Luke in game: "I have called you all here to relay some disturbing news..."

Luke in comic: "I have called you here because we have work to do..."

The novels are more expanded, and deal with slightly different themes -- namely the children of the main heroes and the foundation of the Jedi Academy. The comic, however, seems very close to the setup and theme (and clothing visual style) of the game. Here, too, the students are left to fend for their own, with their lives at great risk.

The first issue of the comic came out four years before the game was released. I don't think it's a coincidence. There's simply too much that overlaps...

If you have the chance, I recommend reading the comic book. It actually sparked some new interest in me in the single player story of JKA. It gives a slightly different perspective. And I expect the novels do, too.

Origins of Jedi Academy:

...somewhere in Los Angeles, California, in an Activision meeting room:

Activision Exec: Ahahah! Excellent! JK2 was a top seller, and we have good review scores! Most excellent!

Exec 2: Should we make another game?

Exec 1: Of course! But we'll need Lucasarts to sign off on it.

*phone ring at Lucas Ranch*

Exec 1: Yes hello, Lucas? Can we make another JK game?

Lucas: Yep sure mang.

Exec 1: Excellent! So we're cool right?

Lucas: Yeah -

Exec 2: Thanks, bye!

Lucas: but!

Exec 1 & 2: *sigh*

Lucas: It's gotta be like the prequels! Your game was dark and full of revenge and stuff.

Exec 1: Okay okay. What do you want us to do?

Lucas: It's gotta be about Jedis. And lightsabers. Kids fucking love lightsabers.

Exec 2: The game already had lightsabers in it...

Lucas: NO IT NEEDS MORE FUCKING LIGHTSABERS, YOU HEAR ME? MORE.

Exec 1: How can it have more?

Lucas: Did you not see Attack of the Clones? The Phantom Menace?

Exec 2: Yeah, we saw them, but they were pretty awful-

Exec 1: Awfully good, yes! *smacks Exec 2*

Exec 2: We put in the double bladed lightsaber in JK2 though.

Lucas: BUT IT WAS A CHEAT CODE!

Exec 2: Okay, true. So you want double bladed lightsabers? We can work with that.

Exec 1: Yeah. Shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Lucas: AND TWO AT ONCE, JUST LIKE ATTACK OF THE CLONES.

Exec 1: Okay sure, we can do that too. Can we get funded now?

Lucas: Mmmmmm....hamburgers...I mean, YES. Make me a game.

Exec 1: K, bye

Lucas: Lol, bye. And no more puzzles! I fucking hate puzzles!

*click*

Madison WI, the next day:

Exec: Okay boys! We're making another JK game!

*collective cheers*

Exec: But that last game took a little too much time. I mean, you started stuff in 2000 and it didn't come out until 2002?

*murmurs*

Exec: Alright, can we get it out in less than a year? Sounds good. Do us proud, guys.

ent, Agent Jones, Sithani and 4 others like this

I can agree with too much lightsabering. Some of these levels its every turn and there are 2 Ragnos worshippers sitting there. The non-saber ones are kinda cool, like magicians they are, but, they still look like they are holding a blaster! Some of the level design is neat. The second level of Hoth isn't too shabby. The snowtroopers are pretty cool as well. The rancor level was ridiculous, same with the Wedge level. The "find the parts" one was at least interesting and reminded me of the movie Tremors.  

I actually like the dual sabers and double-bladed sabers. *Everyone looks at me like this: :o* And while I agree that the SP cameign isn't anywhere near as good as JO, it isn't horrible IMO. *Everyone activates sabers*

Cerez likes this

I think that a mix of JO and JA would look better than two separate games. JA has a very decent design of Tatooine and Hoth, very true to Star Wars OT. But most of the levels were created - as it seems - by different designers than the ones in JO, who stayed true to the Imperial style for instance. Bespin might seem to be a bit odd. But overall what was made for that game surpasses certain missions in JA.

If speaking of origins, it is clear, that the level with Sand Borrowers was inspired by the Dune series as well as the movie of Tremors. The whole concept isn't bad. and it was good to play a mission without mercs and stormtroopers for a change. And the game introduced some very good potential things like creatures and vehicles, which also presented a better gameplay.

I wasn't aware of all those stories about Empire Reborn at the time, when JO was released. I only remembered a clear continuity from where Kyle was left in Dark Forces II (I hadn't a chance to complete MOTS and there were no books or wookiepedia at the time to learn, what was going on), so JO seemed to be moving in the right way - it had Kyle and Jan, Mon Mothma and the Empire, and Jerec was mentioned, while we also could see the Valley of the Jedi.

What really felt odd those days is perhaps this:

Dark_Jedi_Tatooine.png

Rebornpwned4.JPG

Up to this day I haven't found any information on the fact, that the Dark Jedi/Sith acolytes in KOTOR look very much alike the Reborn warriors in Jedi Outcast.

I myself tried to understand this (as nerdy as it might be), whether developers of one game were inspired by the design of other game, whether this is some kind of Star Wars tradition (hoods everywhere) or a mere coincidence. No wonder, that the model of Reborn served many times to create the skins of dark Jedi from KOTOR.

z3filus, Cerez and Smoo like this
  • 1 month later...

I've found evidence that confirms my strong suspicion. :) The howlers of Yavin 4 are a direct link between the development of the comics and the video game:

History

Sorzus Syn referred to one of her alchemical creations during the Hundred Year Darkness as "howlers". Syn's experiments with howlers and other alchemical creations led her to create Leviathans.

In 14 ABY, when the Jedi Praxeum's transport ship broke down in Yavin 4, Jaden Korr and Rosh Penin encountered some howlers on their way to the Massassi Temple.

Source: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Howler

Smoo likes this
  • 2 weeks later...