3d Modeling Help

I want to start learning how to be a modeler, I want to create 3d models for JKA, I have 3d studio max 7, but I don't know how to use it and don't know anything about 3d modeling, can someone help me, in where would I start to learn how to use and create models with 3d studio max ? Are there any tutorials for beginners, which will help them one day create their own character model for JKA ?

I've heard that beginners start off by modeling their own lightsaber hilts, is this where I would start off ?

My goal is to learn how create a model of my own lightsaber hilt, then create a ship like the tie avenger, and then maybe create my own character along with a model of TFU shadow guard.

Can someone please tell me how I would start off in learning how to model, and maybe provide tutorials that will help me work up to my goal ?

I would start off by getting a 3ds Max newer than max 7 (it belongs to the past!). It is no longer required to have these old versions to export correctly. I'm sure you should be able to go with at least Max 2013. Are you a student? In case, you can get a free 3-year student license of a full-worthy 3ds Max here: http://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/3ds-max (or any other Autodesk software pretty much!).

Starting off modeling is much about following beginner's tutorials, learning what a model consists of and how to effectively make appopriate changes. What you need to learn for games is "low poly" modeling, but any beginner's tutorial should help you on your way, even if it uses smoothing or high poly levels.

Don't take on too big tasks before you know how modeling works though!

There are some recources here on lightsaber modeling, like this and this (or just here: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jka+modeling) but keep in mind that a lot of tutorials on this site assume you know the basics and teach what's specific to this game instead.

This channel should be helpful when you're starting out in 3ds Max: https://www.youtube.com/user/3dsMaxHowTos/playlists

Also keep in mind that since you're beginner, any other software could be an equally reasonable place to start. As an example, Blender is free and still has more features than all or most other 3d packages. It also has an interface that lets you type what you want to do and use incredible shortcuts, instead of spending minutes carefully looking through every menu in the program. But anything you can get used to and which is supported with appropriate exporters in the modding community (like 3ds Max, Blender, Softimage) are good softwares to start with. Most important are the modeling concepts themselves :)

I'm afraid 3d studio max 7 is all I can have and start with, I am no student, but I was wondering if I can learn how to 3d model without being a student or going to school to learn this skill ? Will school be required or will I be able to learn how to 3d model by just following tutorials ? I don't know any of the basics or anything whatsoever in using 3d studio max, do you know of any tutorials that can help me learn the basics ? From what I can tell I will have to learn how to start using 3d studio max from the ground up, learning the basics then learning I suppose how to create a lightsaber hilt ? Do you know of any tutorials on teaching the basics of 3d studio max to someone who is not going to school, but really wants to learn how to 3d model ?

wait what plug-ins what do you mean what are they and what are they for, I downladed my 3d studio max 7 online ? Is there something I need to know from downloading 3d studio max online ? I can only assume I must have done something illegal or I haven't ?

• 2 weeks later...