Game Of Thrones: Castel Black

Zefilus, is it gonna be the whole castle including the top of the walls (not *the wall*) and the gates etc?

It will be a duel map, featuring only the courtyard. Whether you get to run on the rooftops or not, depends on how well I can blend the skybox with the map.

This is very important to me. Even old PS2 games make you belive you are on snowy mountains because the map+skybox blend together almost perfectly.

After this, I will probably make a new duel map, located on top of *the wall*

@AshuraDX thank you for helping out.  That model looks awesome, perfect.  I've already started doing map textures on my own though.

If you are bored and really want to help me out, would you like to do a similar reskin for Medieval Map Objects pack made by Inyri?

Im using his arrow shootingtarget and target dummy and the cart. http://jkhub.org/files/file/50-medieval-map-objects/

Boothand likes this

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35503378/Grindstones.zip

@@Boothand or any other mapper would you mind to quickly test the model and shader for errors (ingame aswell plox) ? been a while since I messed with map objects ;)

and I dont have Radiant installed right now

Made a short video to showcase it in-game.

So sorry about the light flickering, hasn't happened with any other game..! Appears on the video, not in-game.

I had to change the shader a bit, and ended up with this:

textures/Castel_Black/grindstone
{
    {
        map $lightmap
    }
    {
        map textures/Castel_Black/grindstone_d
        blendFunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_ZERO
    }
    {
        map textures/Castel_Black/grindstone_s
        blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE
        alphaGen lightingSpecular
    }
}

textures/Castel_Black/grindstone_snowy
{
    {
        map $lightmap
    }
    {
        map textures/Castel_Black/grindstone_snowy
    }
    {
        map textures/Castel_Black/grindstone_snowy_s
        blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE
        alphaGen lightingSpecular
    }
}

and the .mtr:

textures/Castel_Black/grindstone
{
	qer_editorimage textures/Castel_Black/grindstone_d.png

{
		map textures/Castel_Black/grindstone_d.png
//		rgbGen vertexLit
	}
	{
		stage normalmap
		map textures/Castel_Black/grindstone_n.png
	}
	{
		map $lightmap
	}
}

textures/Castel_Black/grindstone_snowy
{
	qer_editorimage textures/Castel_Black/grindstone_snowy.png

{
		map textures/Castel_Black/grindstone_snowy.png
//		rgbGen vertexLit
	}
	{
		stage normalmap
		map textures/Castel_Black/grindstone_snowy_n.png
	}
	{
		map $lightmap
	}
}

There is no parallax displacement map, so replaced that line with the normal map. The way you set up the .ase, it won't show anything in the editor unless you rename the diffuse map or the shader though. Couldn't test with the specular map now so left that out of the shader for now.

z3filus, AshuraDX, Stoiss and 1 other like this

I became a fan of GOT just a few months ago and watched all the series and can't wait for the next season (I guess that's another headache for the next 4 years). Moddb has several notable works related to GOT, but I never truly tracked those. I am glad someone wants to release GOT material, but for Star Wars. We already have several LOTR models and maps, as well as some Harry Potter locations (not to mention other non-fantasy franchises).

For me King's Landing is one of the favourite locations, with its red walls and archways close to those of Vizantian Empire. It is for sure not the place for true adventures, rather a home to intrigues, murders and betrayals. While Castle Black is more about dangers, heroism, dedication and mysterious spirits from the North.

Seeing a new start is always nice, but I would prefer to see more detailed things from both the exterior and interior of Castle Black. Being as simple as it is, the location of the Order has so much to offer. Hope you will show us more here soon :)

jka_castelblack3.jpg

jka_castelblack2.jpg

jka_castelblack.png

Well  I took some good screencaptures and decided to create some interior aswel,  to the building on the right that has snowy roof,
I will make the dining area.  The whole map is starting to take shape.
I've been looking at Game of Thrones episodes, and images found on
Google to learn about the Castel Black, this wont be perfect but I'm trying my best. Just imagine amazing textures and few models to add detail.

This artistic view is what I'm aiming at - night time map with snowfall and torches.
game_of_thrones_castle_black_by_gycinn_d

Boothand likes this

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35503378/Target_reskin.zip

reskinned the target to match

also made this : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35503378/woodtexture.zip

still need shaders, probably @@Boothand will be so kind to write them for ya, if you even need help

please atleast try the wood texture in your map ;)

I can easily make a plank version of that aswell if you need it

Edit :

well..uhm...want some Planks ?

Edit 2 :

mOjg0Hls.pngC73m07Ys.png

Well since you did a fantastic job reskinning that grind stone that @Boothand so kindly created (thanks again)
I think it would be a good idea to use more textures created by you, in this map. I definetly like what I see so far.

Everyones participation will ofcourse be noted once the project is finished and you've both made my life a lot easier.

Thank you.

As I said before if you have any specific texture requests let me know ;)

I can quickly create any texture you might need - if you want a more or a less snowy variation of the 2 textures I gave you so far let me know

could probably create a version with a kind of "snow gradiant" , for floor trims and such if you need them

2 different textures actually , had to do a lot of editing to the second one to match the first in color and then did some color grading here to match the snowy atmosphere

I'll finish those textures later today and send them to you

I guess you'll also need a new roof texture ?

as a blank snow texture for those rooftops looks slightly out of place

Mostly covered in snow, unlike in the series I know, but since this won't be a perfect copy of the setting, it shouldn't matter.
Some floortextures will have the looks as if there was snow there but it's been tramped a lot. But I will do that some other day.
Also to be more specific about the map: It will be a snowy evening with cold blue moonlight lighting the whole area from above.

I have watched 4 seasons of the series and I'm tired of waiting for that winter, so I'll create my version of a freezing HQ of misfits.

Right now I'm trying to create a new, sparkly freezy snow texture. I'm not satisfied with how the map looks so far ingame, so no screenies yet.
Oh and I noticed the grindstone model is .ASE ? how can I use that? it doesn't show on the models list

@@Boothand will be the one to ask about how to use the ASE model in your map, i'm just a model& texture artist, I tried mapping but it really wasn't my kinda thing ^_^

I'll take care of the textures then , so you need 2 snow textures I guess ? or maybe 3 ?

number one : plain snow probably some larger chunks in there

number two: same snow texture but with footprints revealing the muddy gravel underneath

number three : same as above but with the wooden planks below

and then the snow covered strawroof

You can select .ase type models from a drop-down menu when selecting the misc_model. If the texture doesn't show up, it should still show up in game, if you've activated the shader. If it bothers you though, it's possible you could rename the texture to the name of the shader, thus it should display correctly in the editor while also assigning the shader to it.

Here's a self-made (based on a picture I took) snow-texture that tiles very well:

Snow1.jpg

@@AshuraDX, if you're making other snowy textures, feel free to use or tweak that if you like it.

Omicron likes this
Guest KENNITHH

sooo, I just tried the game of thrones game, the first level is Castle Black but it looks totaly different , like bigger and more buildings.

some things do look the same so maybe it is worthy afterall of checking out (first level is castle black)

sooo, I just tried the game of thrones game, the first level is Castle Black but it looks totaly different , like bigger and more buildings.

some things do look the same so maybe it is worthy afterall of checking out (first level is castle black)

Games are always more or less different than movies. Just like the map I'm working on.

Cool @AshuraDX