Please don't kill me

*clears throat* My first decree as a Sith Lord is that there shall be no erasure or neglect of any person/character in Star Wars! You hear that Disney?! Or you shall feel my wrath come down upon you! You will fear me like you've feared naught else before.

Lord Mew the Merciful hath spoken!

:lol:

*whispers* It's an eraser, you computery people, it's an eraser… No, not the "eraser tool" in Photoshop, but an actual, real-life, rubber eraser. :P The kind that can completely remove a graphite drawing… with no "undo" options...

*sniffs* It presents Ahsoka's -- and all the other semi-forgotten SW characters' -- state so well.  : Why can't they live on? Why do they have to be forgotten?

It actually kind of reminds me of the "nothing" in the The Neverending Story (the book). Man's unwillingness to embrace imagination that destroys all that's good in the world of fantasy. How everything so intricate and magical is extinguished by mundane practical things.

Because of money and interest (in a new trilogy of movies), a large number of characters will forever disappear, and be swallowed up by the "nothing", and others will likely be injured in ways that leave them permanently damaged.  :

They are completely at the mercy of their owners/creators. And each one of us plays a part in keeping them alive.

*sniffs* It presents Ahsoka's -- and all the other semi-forgotten SW characters' -- state so well.  : Why can't they live on? Why do they have to be forgotten?

They don't have to be forgotten, not if you don't forget them ;) That's my same idea with the EU, having something that supposedly trumps it canon-wise doesn't mean that those stories or their value in building the universe are discarded. But anyway this is getting too philosophical for Star Wars so I'll leave now bye

therfiles and Onysfx like this

But anyway this is getting too philosophical for Star Wars so I'll leave now bye

Not at all. This is the arts section, and philosophy is very much linked to art.

That's true. We all, together, play a part in keeping these characters alive, but it is also true that their overall fate is determined by their owner/creator. If their maker (or owner) decides to change them, taint them, destroy them, then many people's view of them changes, too. The more people see them differently, the more their fate is twisted and the outcome is determined by everyone's view of them. This way strong characters can turn into weak characters, good characters can turn evil, and what appeared once from a commonly established viewpoint can become something entirely different.

Sometimes creators do not learn to appreciate their creations, and they are cruel to the characters they create. They lack respect, and understanding toward them...

*whispers* It's an eraser, you computery people, it's an eraser… No, not the "eraser tool" in Photoshop, but an actual, real-life, rubber eraser. :P The kind that can completely remove a graphite drawing… with no "undo" options...

*sniffs* It presents Ahsoka's -- and all the other semi-forgotten SW characters' -- state so well. : Why can't they live on? Why do they have to be forgotten?

Except the clone wars is still counted as cannon.

eezstreet and therfiles like this

Well, whether it's canon or non-canon really has no relevance when you consider that minor stories are constantly being sacrificed for major ones in Star Wars. And what makes the major ones more valuable? Moreover, why do they need to be sacrificed in the first place? Why can't all these characters coexist? After all, these stories, events, and characters were all created as a part of Star Wars, and we've established that care and responsibility needs to be given to creation.

With the cancellation of the Clone Wars series, and the rise of Rebels as replacement, the Clone Wars characters will likely slowly slip into oblivion. With the new movie trilogy the Expanded Universe will effectively be erased (removed from mainstream) and old characters may be permanently changed with the new movies.

Canon or non-canon, these fading characters are in the same shoes because of their owner's reckless decisions.

I don't get this concept of the characters being "forgotten". You refer to Ahsoka, I assume. She was a huge main character in the series, which is official canon. I don't think she will be forgotten in the Star Wars universe. Who knows, she could show up in Rebels for all we know. She's a character in the era that is being relaxed at the moment. They really went hard at the Clone Wars era. Now they are focusing on the next eras that are mysteries to us (well, since they aren't limiting to the EU, that is), post-Clone War and post-civil war.

Well, whether it's canon or non-canon really has no relevance when you consider that minor stories are constantly being sacrificed for major ones in Star Wars. And what makes the major ones more valuable? Moreover, why do they need to be sacrificed in the first place? Why can't all these characters coexist? After all, these stories, events, and characters were all created as a part of Star Wars, and we've established that care and responsibility needs to be given to creation.

With the cancellation of the Clone Wars series, and the rise of Rebels as replacement, the Clone Wars characters will likely slowly slip into oblivion. With the new movie trilogy the Expanded Universe will effectively be erased (removed from mainstream) and old characters may be permanently changed with the new movies.

Canon or non-canon, these fading characters are in the same shoes because of their owner's reckless decisions.

I don't get this concept of the characters being "forgotten". You refer to Ahsoka, I assume. She was a huge main character in the series, which is official canon. I don't think she will be forgotten in the Star Wars universe. Who knows, she could show up in Rebels for all we know. She's a character in the era that is being relaxed at the moment. They really went hard at the Clone Wars era. Now they are focusing on the next eras that are mysteries to us (well, since they aren't limiting to the EU, that is), post-Clone War and post-civil war.

Also note, that we may very well see EU things such as the Thrawn Trilogy and such revived at some point.  They haven't "thrown it out" so much as declared that the current way things are told are non-cannon.  The problem was, the EU had essentially written them into a corner, they would have to tip-toe along between all the established information and attempt to not create conflicting content, which would have upset fans likely just as much as what they did in the long run.  By declaring content non-cannon, they maintain the freedom to use it, but also have creative breathing room.

You could look at it the same way folk-tales are; when stories are told and re-told, details change.  Eventually a tale may no longer resemble what was originally told, or it may hold in the same basic themes while remaining uniquely its own.  We don't have to say that the EU never happened, hell by putting it in a new "Legends" category, LucasFilm and Disney are essentially acknowledging the stories, but maybe they didn't happen the way they were told?  Maybe the details were "lost to time".  Perhaps we will eventually get much the same tales as we've gotten in the EU, but with a fresh twist.

Cerez and Onysfx like this

I don't get this concept of the characters being "forgotten". You refer to Ahsoka, I assume. She was a huge main character in the series, which is official canon. I don't think she will be forgotten in the Star Wars universe.

Well, it's more a feeling than anything that I have, Circa. But if you look at the damage that has been done so far to the original trilogy stories, events, and characters, you can see a similar pattern repeating itself over and over and over. In Star Wars the old is out-phased, the new dominates, and the non-mainstream is sunken and forgotten. That's not how stories should be told, as they are cherished by those who hear them.

Ahsoka's fate is such as well, most likely. A non-mainstream character to be forgotten.

You could look at it the same way folk-tales are; when stories are told and re-told, details change.  Eventually a tale may no longer resemble what was originally told, or it may hold in the same basic themes while remaining uniquely its own.  We don't have to say that the EU never happened, hell by putting it in a new "Legends" category, LucasFilm and Disney are essentially acknowledging the stories, but maybe they didn't happen the way they were told?  Maybe the details were "lost to time".  Perhaps we will eventually get much the same tales as we've gotten in the EU, but with a fresh twist.

That's an interesting perspective, CrimsonStrife...

…but I'm not sure this applies entirely to the way stories are being changed in Star Wars...

EDIT: It's more as if you were to take a well-known folk tale, continue its story and change the characters' backstory, motives, behaviour -- perhaps introduce entirely new main characters -- and then pass that on as the new version of the tale.

If the new version is heard and adopted by a great number of people, the old story, its messages and its characters will slowly disappear... slip into oblivion.

It seems to me that's what Lucas has been doing with his creations.