FPS Optimizaton

I suppose Caulking everything not seen. Portals in doors. Think I am forgetting something else. What are other things I can do to fix FPS related issues? Merely asking for some help, ti's all...

Obviously.

For a somewhat large outdoorish map with horrible FPS and windows everywhere. *-* I think I am nearly fixing it up rather nicely, but knowing more stuff, even if the FPS is perfect, just to boost in anywhose for lower end systems will be good, since I know some people still using Windows 2000 :P

Please and thank you.

I see. I see a lot of...Problems already using that technique on the map.............

-Hint brushes, I am a bit confused on :P. I suppose I understand the general concept though, a little bit.

---On Mitre, yes sir. Right away.

-------To both, thank you.

Make proper use of detail brushes and if you have a lot of patch meshes in one place consider converting them to an .ase model with clip brushes, because collision detection against brushes is much faster than against patch meshes.

And this may be too late, but in general try to lay out your map in a way that you can't see much of it from any point.

Make proper use of detail brushes and if you have a lot of patch meshes in one place consider converting them to an .ase model with clip brushes, because collision detection against brushes is much faster than against patch meshes.

And this may be too late, but in general try to lay out your map in a way that you can't see much of it from any point.

Too late. I suppose I could get rid of the glass mirrors everywhere. Prettymuch you can see quite a bit of the map from everywhere :

I see. Thank you.

Found http://www.quake3world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3620

Very helpful, and just what I needed. I may have to apply every trick in the book to make this better. However.

Broken links should be on the Internet Archives. Going to go and see. 

Hint and Skip shaders, and detail brushes. Oh how lovely. The latter I do understand, its a nice button in the menu. Hint and Skip are slightly confusing. Portals, I assume put in every door. 

So after reading those, Hint Portals. Basically I saw the tutorial putting them at the edges of the corridors as to hide the map behind them, I.E corridors. So can I put them inside walls, as I was using the R feature, and being in a room, rendering the entire map behind the walls, creating low FPS. Or do I create a mini corridor inside each wall, and apply Hint brushes? I already have these assumptions and many more, but I will await confirmation before touching anything. 

On area portals, I get to put them in every door pretty much. Mitre I get perfectly now, and I have a ton to do, which makes me incredibly happy. 

Edit: Besides the above of Caulk, Mitre, hint portals, and area portals which I get a lot more now, so if I basically put hints in outside areas, box format, it will not render unless you are past X format. So if I put Hint Portals on or inside walls to basically block, should I be good to go, or am I misunderstanding the subject: Haven't slept for a few days, I apologize for any stupidity. Seeking to expand on what I learned from the university and Mugs tutorials.

Boothand likes this