Looking for a server host.

Hey guys,

Looking for input regarding a reliable server host for a Jedi Academy server. I've heard about buying/renting a VPS, and while it seems you can get a lot out of a VPS, my expertise in setting that up is non-existent. 

I checked with Caelum, who said that he decided not to pursue server hosting, so I'm turning to the experts @ JKHub :)

We aren't looking for anything special -- we would like to use the JA++ server-side mod, or OpenJK, whichever offers the best security, and all that.

Just looking to be put in the right direction.

Thanks for your time.

- Dopie @ mindtrick.jkhub.org

Circa and Omicron like this

You can run OpenJK dedi server with JA++ mod for MAXIMUM BENEFITS. Awesome to see you're interested in it, if there are any issues at all you run in to, let me know and I'll fix it ASAP.

As for VPSes, you don't need a crazy amount of RAM (128mb or 256mb should be fine) or disk space (10gb), but you should look for reviews about how many VPSes that provider runs per physical machine. that will matter more than the processor speed.

Keep in mind not all VPS providers will allow running a game server on there.

Dope other than the game server, what else would you need out of the VPS??

If you need someone who you want to setup the server with JA++ and openjk for you, I can help with a good provider I know and have been using for some time!

Where would you like the server/vps located?

I spoke with several representatives @ https://www.bluefangsolutions.com/

Really good prices, and all.

The only thing that put me off, was that they run their servers with Windows, instead of Linux. I've heard stability issues with Windows OS based servers before.

The pricing though -- $10 for 32 slots sounds awesome.

I asked why it was so inexpensive, and they said it was due to them having a lot of in-house created software. (cpanel, etc).

Windows could be a pain to set up with things like restart scripts, external communication scripts, etc.

Linux is generally cheap because the provider doesn't have to worry about any licensing costs (e.g. RamNode have $2.50/month VPSes with enough resources to run a small site, JKHub master server and a few other services without coming close to its limit.

I'd keep looking. Paying per slot is also a pretty flawed business model. If they provide a tonne of games, you can bet their actual technical support and knowledge is limited.

I spoke with several representatives @ https://www.bluefangsolutions.com/

Really good prices, and all.

The only thing that put me off, was that they run their servers with Windows, instead of Linux. I've heard stability issues with Windows OS based servers before.

The pricing though -- $10 for 32 slots sounds awesome.

I asked why it was so inexpensive, and they said it was due to them having a lot of in-house created software. (cpanel, etc).

Windows server is fine, the biggest issue as Raz0r pointed out is it requires a licence and is obviously more expensive than (free) linux.

JKG Developer

Well, they only offer 1 size server, which is 32 slot. But for $10.. that seems pretty cheap.

Most other companies are charging $30 or so for a 32 slot server.

I would really want someone working with me, hands on, while setting up a VPS, and alot of folks don't have the time to dedicate to that sorta thing xD