Do you use OpenJK?

Xycaleth

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use OpenJK?

- Gamma level in the sceenshots are properly being stored, making those shots brighter then when made with the original .EXE file

I would rather that was a toggleable cvar, as sometimes I play with a higher gamma so I can see more, but still like my screenshots in og brightness.

How did you find out about OpenJK?
Raz0r and word of mouth I believe

How difficult was it to get OpenJK working?
Surprisingly simple, I thought it might be a hassle but it was just a matter of dropping files in.

Do you know anybody who isn't on JKHub and uses OpenJK?
I believe some JAWA members use it, although that is probably down to Raz's advertisements in the past.

What would you change (if anything)?
Advertisements, I feel you guys have some really great stuff going on but nobody is really aware of what is being added/changed. I realize that due to the nature of the project that things are probably added/removed/changed daily, however it would be nice to have some sort of... update feed with screenshots and clear explanations for those who aren't literate in the coding world. A good example is Raz0r's work on JA++ which is obviously a separate project, he made this really cool spectator-name system that I had never even heard about/seen before, yet I know if other people saw that they'd be wow'ed... I sometimes think that you guys undervalue the work that you actually do, which in my opinion should be all over a website/twitter to those who want to see these updates in layman's terms.

In terms of what bothers me, only two really minor things come to mind:

1. External programs such as minimizers obviously don't support the use of OpenJK due to it being a different exe. This isn't OpenJK's fault at all, however it is a little annoyance especially considering the constraints of an ingame minimizer (/minimize), Raz is hoping to get Q3E Minimizer which is now Open Source to support OpenJK :)
  2. I don't like complaining about this, especially since so many people are for it in the JACoders community (Probably everyone XD) but a little annoyance to me is the lack of being able to do quick commands e.g. /q. I realize that this can be quickly accomplished by hitting tab however I often find myself after 10 years nearly always doing /q :P I'm not saying "CHANGE IT!" but I just thought I'd write this down as it's the only thing that has bothered me since using OpenJK.

Off topic from the questions though, I really love the work you guys have done and I can't wait to see how it continues to develop :) keep up the great work!

Stoiss, Tx606 and Raz0r like this

1. External programs such as minimizers obviously don't support the use of OpenJK due to it being a different exe. This isn't OpenJK's fault at all, however it is a little annoyance especially considering the constraints of an ingame minimizer (/minimize), Raz is hoping to get Q3E Minimizer which is now Open Source to support OpenJK :)

OpenJK has /minimize and also supports alt tab on  fullscreen :L

Yup I know, but alt+tab pales in comparison to something like Q3E which is instant and moves it out the way, truly minimized off the screen until you hit the keyboard shortcut to go back. 

No

Reasons:

1. Need to type full command instead just few letters sometimes (why can't this be toggleable with a cvar or something?)

2. Usage of My Games folder instead the old way (that's more problematic for serverside, I remember I sent openjk exe to my old game hoster, wasn't aware it would save files in the mentioned folder where I didn't have ftp access, as for clientside it's not that problematic but from my POV surely inconvenient)

3. I had impression that my performance was generally worse (fps drops in areas they didn't occur before)

Yup I know, but alt+tab pales in comparison to something like Q3E which is instant and moves it out the way, truly minimized off the screen until you hit the keyboard shortcut to go back. 

Then bind a key to /minimize :D

2. Usage of My Games folder instead the old way (that's more problematic for serverside, I remember I sent openjk exe to my old game hoster, wasn't aware it would save files in the mentioned folder where I didn't have ftp access, as for clientside it's not that problematic but from my POV surely inconvenient)

Upon release, there will be a "standalone" version, which just sets fs_homepath to "." aka current directory.

You can do this manually as well.

3. I had impression that my performance was generally worse (fps drops in areas they didn't occur before)

That should not occur at all, especially on a release build. It's using a more modern compiler with higher optimisation settings, and we've made changes specifically to improve performance, especially on newer mods.

I'm not entirely sure if the buildbot builds are using the release configuration.

Then bind a key to /minimize :D

Or more specifically, /bind x "minimize; messageMode" to also activate chat and avoid being lamed. That was Link's concern.
Link, Futuza and Omicron like this

1. Need to type full command instead just few letters sometimes (why can't this be toggleable with a cvar or something?)

Because its not compatible with the rewritten code.  Use tab to complete it like a big boy.  JK series is THE ONLY tech3 game(s) that has allowed <enter> to do so (and even then it only worked when you were in a server).

The pros of the changes far outweigh the laziness of allowing enter to work and complete the command.  Sorry but its not returning.

Omicron likes this

The only difference is that it hides the window in Q3E really. SW_HIDE vs SW_MINIMIZE.  Adding actual tray support for a game binary seems kind of silly to add.

I'm well aware of all of this, you guys asked myself and others of our opinions on OpenJK and as I stated, it is a minor annoyance is all compared to what I'm used to... hardly a big deal.

Upon release, there will be a "standalone" version, which just sets fs_homepath to "." aka current directory.

You can do this manually as well.

Indeed just do a "+set fs_homepath c:\program files\openjk\gamedata\"

Or wherever you want it to show up.  (Or do the simple "." method as Raz0r indicated).

JKG Developer

While setting fs_homepath to "." works okay, it is more preferable to set it to be identical to what fs_basepath is.

And there should be no trailing slashes.

If Program Files is not writable (ie on Vista and newer) you will still need to run the game as admin / or give the folder full access.  (Which is part of the point for having homepath in the first place)

Raz0r likes this

There's been some work on it. It's not as simple as merging it into the one executable. That was one of our pipe dreams at the start, but there's simply too much different between the two codebases, and it's not designed in a way to easily be merge-able like that.