Can get models into GTKRadiant easily but not textures!

Yeah, that's what I mean. That's the catch of using models - some extra time making your own collision.

That's also what MoonDog meant in this post. Ultimately it's a good thing though I guess, to have simpler collision.

Wouldn't making Caulk brushes just be the same as making actual brushes though?  Kinda defeats the purpose really lol.

Wouldn't making Caulk brushes just be the same as making actual brushes though?  Kinda defeats the purpose really lol.

What "purpose"? It doesn't matter in which way you choose to make the level, you are going to need a structural, sealed hull.

What "purpose"? It doesn't matter in which way you choose to make the level, you are going to need a structural, sealed hull.

Well what'd be the difference between making it using brushes and making it using models then?  At least, on most engines, when you make the mode you can make collision to go with it and then not have to manually make brushes to encompass it in the engine.  I guess it is better, just need to mess around with it and I'm getting frustrated because the models aren't even showing up properly in the game -_-

What image format, and what are its dimensions?

You don't have any shaders for its texture, right?

Is the model and the texture located in the models folder?

Are you running your map with sv_pure 0? (reads from folders instead of just pk3s. Which is good)

While you should get the md3 to work, I would generally recommend .ase models instead of md3, as you're able to edit .ase files and assign any texture you want. With md3, you'd have to re-export, plus you'd have to have the texture within your "models" folder. If you wonder about .ase files, I've covered that in my new video tutorial about map objects, which I'm currently rendering and should soon be up.

On a side note, that's some big pixels :P

Well what'd be the difference between making it using brushes and making it using models then?  At least, on most engines, when you make the mode you can make collision to go with it and then not have to manually make brushes to encompass it in the engine.  I guess it is better, just need to mess around with it and I'm getting frustrated because the models aren't even showing up properly in the game -_-

This is not most engines. This engine is a really old modification of another really old engine. You are not going to be able to just make a collision mesh in the 3D package and have it work. You'll either have to manually clip the models in Radiant, (which I highly recommend you do.), or use Q3map2's automatic clipping for the models. (I highly recommend you do not do this. It takes every tris in the model and makes a clip for it. )

You need to understand how a .map is built into a bsp. How vis works, etc... You can make your aesthetic, environment art completely out of Radiant brushes and patch meshes. Or you can model a vast majority of the aesthetics. Which method you choose is irrelevant.

Either way, you are going to need a structural hull that seals the playable space. This hull could be entirely made out of caulk brushes, or certain simple brushes in your aesthetic "layer". 

The difference being, if you are more comfortable/know how to use a 3D package to make environment assets you can and should. If you are more comfortable making everything out of Radiant meshes and brushes, you could. There are differences in terms of lighting/seams etc.. but those differences are in technical land.

Boothand likes this

Well i intend on making some myself as well in the near future :D   The only thing that still remains a mystery are shaders, but I'm sure i can find something on them lol.

How tall is a standard character model, 2 meters?  If so i can just scale a Source biped to that height and use it rather than pull one from this game.

There are tutorials for Quake III and COD and it can kinda be used on JKA since it's the same engine but it'd be nice to have tutorials dedicated to JKA.  One thing that I'd like to see is maybe a lightsabre hilt creation tutorial.  Not really the modeling because that's piss easy but more the stuff after that like shaders to make parts look metallic and such.  I tried it myself a few months back but then encountered the shaders problem.

The JK Skeleton is 100 units tall in 3dsMax (IIRC) and Kyle is 1.8 meters tall. And on export you scale it down to 64%. Characters are typically 64 units tall in GTKRadiant. So do the math to figure out your scaling factor.

The JK Skeleton is 100 units tall in 3dsMax (IIRC) and Kyle is 1.8 meters tall. And on export you scale it down to 64%. Characters are typically 64 units tall in GTKRadiant. So do the math to figure out your scaling factor.

This ^

Also, you'll need to oversize some things like hallway heights and door frame measurements to accommodate the 3rd person camera.

Wouldn't it be easier to just work out the maths, scale a character to that size and save it as a reference file rather than scale everything each time you want to make a model? xD

Figure out the game scale, change 3dsMax units to match gtkradiant, and model it that size and export out with no need for further scaling.

Boothand likes this