Can get models into GTKRadiant easily but not textures!

I always try to work things out for myself but it gets to the point where you just need to ask for help even after looking on Google.

I'm just working with a simple box for now so that i can get the hang of trying to get a simple UV/textured model into the engine.  The problem is that i can't find any good info on how or where to put the textures.  The models are easily found but the texture path only points to one directory and, from what I've read, the model needs to reside in that same directory.  Heck i don't even know how to make shaders for it, i know how to modify the 'models.shader' file but that's about it.

Does anybody know of a moderately good tutorial demonstrating this workflow?  I don't even care about it being a different piece of software other than 3DS, it's mainly the texturing part that i need to work with.  I'm also using Radiant 1.5 as i can't seem to get 1.6 to work properly the models don't even appear, same thing for 1.4

I'll keep trying to work it out for now lol.  I swear that once I've worked it all out I'm going to make a video tutorial to at least make sure i have reference xD

Thanks!

I haven't worked with 3DS, so someone else will have to weigh in on that. However, considering your work flow, I think it's a good thing you are using 1.5 instead of 1.6. A majority of what you are going to be doing sounds like model work. 1.5 has translation and rotation gizmos similar to some 3D engines. Makes it SO nice for placing models.

Are you going for md3? What max version?

Make sure the textures for the model is in the models/etc/etc folder when you export, not in your textures folder. Try to re-apply the texture from a new material slot in 3ds max. If you're using a texture that you otherwise use in your map, like a texture you have in your textures folder, you might get away with _remap, so you don't end up with duplicate textures in your pk3.

PS. _remap only shows visually what's happening in the editor in 1.6, but I also suggest basing your work in 1.5 rather than 1.6, although it is handy for some things.

Are you going for md3? What max version?

Make sure the textures for the model is in the models/etc/etc folder when you export, not in your textures folder. Try to re-apply the texture from a new material slot in 3ds max. If you're using a texture that you otherwise use in your map, like a texture you have in your textures folder, you might get away with _remap, so you don't end up with duplicate textures in your pk3.

PS. _remap only shows visually what's happening in the editor in 1.6, but I also suggest basing your work in 1.5 rather than 1.6, although it is handy for some things.

I tried the .MD3 plugin from this wibesite but it just flips the faces in Radiant.  I've tried .3DS, .OBJ, .ASE and all have the same problem.

Unless this is the wrong directory which just occurred to me xD

C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base\models\map_objects

**EDIT**

Nope it just keeps telling me that there's no shader... Both my model and texture are in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\base\models\map_objects\Pillar

My texture, in 3DS is:

models/map_objects/pillar/pillar.tga

Surely the / and \ difference doesn't matter right?

\ vs / may matter in some cases, you should use /. And the paths need to be relative to GameData/base/, so you don't want something like C:/Program.../base/models/map_objects/mymap/foo.jpg, just map_objects/mymap/foo.jpg. The texture has to have width and height that are powers of 2 (e.g. 512*256) and if it's jpg it mustn't be progressive.

\ vs / may matter in some cases, you should use /. And the paths need to be relative to GameData/base/, so you don't want something like C:/Program.../base/models/map_objects/mymap/foo.jpg, just map_objects/mymap/foo.jpg. The texture has to have width and height that are powers of 2 (e.g. 512*256) and if it's jpg it mustn't be progressive.

Are you talking about what i need to put into 3DS Max material editor?

Thinking about making a video to show my process in order to show it better lol.

I've tried .ASE, .3DS, .OBJ and .MD3

I suppose i could try XSI but seems like a long winded process..

The .xsi format doesn't have anything to do with map objects though.

If I understood your problem correctly, textures didn't show up at all? I did a quick late night stream to show how it works for me, and I don't know if that's gonna help you, but it probably won't hurt!

http://www.twitch.tv/journeytobootland/b/524327297

The .xsi format doesn't have anything to do with map objects though.

If I understood your problem correctly, textures didn't show up at all? I did a quick late night stream to show how it works for me, and I don't know if that's gonna help you, but it probably won't hurt!

http://www.twitch.tv/journeytobootland/b/524327297

Thank you SO much!!!  It's weird because i had tried the exact same method that you just demonstrated but the only thing i didn't do was leave the UVW Unwrap modifier on the stack and just exported it without it.

Going to try a few more models to be safe :D  To be honest I've been pondering as to why there aren't more tutorials like this on the internet... If anything i think it kinda hinders and slows, even stops, more creativity.  Just look at Source Engine, lots of tutorials, lots of custom content by players but this hardly has any tutorials and i think it puts people off.

It's funny how one little thing can mess the whole thing up but, in the words of Dane Clark "YOU LIVE AND YOU LEARRRRN!"

xD

**Side note**

Do you use any reference character models to make props?  I like to be accurate and want to now make some awethum (yes i spelled it like that) stuff for the community!  :D

Cool!

I'd gladly make some proper tutorials. I guess I'm unsure what kind of things there needs to be tutorials for. I'll see if I can make a map object tutorial, as I can't find any others on that particular subject!

Well i intend on making some myself as well in the near future :D   The only thing that still remains a mystery are shaders, but I'm sure i can find something on them lol.

How tall is a standard character model, 2 meters?  If so i can just scale a Source biped to that height and use it rather than pull one from this game.

There are tutorials for Quake III and COD and it can kinda be used on JKA since it's the same engine but it'd be nice to have tutorials dedicated to JKA.  One thing that I'd like to see is maybe a lightsabre hilt creation tutorial.  Not really the modeling because that's piss easy but more the stuff after that like shaders to make parts look metallic and such.  I tried it myself a few months back but then encountered the shaders problem.

Well i intend on making some myself as well in the near future :D   The only thing that still remains a mystery are shaders, but I'm sure i can find something on them lol.

How tall is a standard character model, 2 meters?  If so i can just scale a Source biped to that height and use it rather than pull one from this game.

I guess the actual height in meters isn't relevant, but rather the proportions of the model. You can scale the model to fit the height, but what you'd really have to do is make sure it aligns with the skeleton, arms, legs, knees, elbows etc.

As for shaders, you could start off at RichDiesal's, and follow tutorials like water shadering, and the shader manual is also good to have.

I guess the actual height in meters isn't relevant, but rather the proportions of the model. You can scale the model to fit the height, but what you'd really have to do is make sure it aligns with the skeleton, arms, legs, knees, elbows etc.

As for shaders, you could start off at RichDiesal's, and follow tutorials like water shadering, and the shader manual is also good to have.

Nooo i don't want it for rigging i just want it as a size reference so that i can make props to the correct scale.  Don't want chairs and such being giant compared to the player :P

I'll check out them links!

Nooo i don't want it for rigging i just want it as a size reference so that i can make props to the correct scale.  Don't want chairs and such being giant compared to the player :P

I'll check out them links!

Hmm I'd think importing .glm files of models would be quicker and easier than scaling a source model to the same height as the JK character models. Besides, you could always re-scale the model in GtkRadiant with "modelscale".

Edit: If it helps, ModView measures Kyle to be just around 63 tall. 63 something. Probably units, and probably 64 anyway.

Hmm I'd think importing .glm files of models would be quicker and easier than scaling a source model to the same height as the JK character models. Besides, you could always re-scale the model in GtkRadiant with "modelscale".

I could re-scale in GTKRadiant but it's not too useful when it comes to snapping it to the grid so I'd rather do it this way.  Guess I'll need a .GLM importer for 3DS then

Reeeally sorry about this but wasn't there a command or something that makes GTKRadiant detect the custom collision geometry of the model?  I can't quite remember xD

I'd really suggest not using it. It's unreliable, possibly buggy, and makes a brush for every surface and makes you hit the brush limit fast. However, it's auto-clip aka spawnflags 2.

I'd really suggest not using it. It's unreliable, possibly buggy, and makes a brush for every surface and makes you hit the brush limit fast. However, it's auto-clip aka spawnflags 2.

Yes but as i stated in a different post i wish to make it so that maybe 80% of the map be made from prefabs (kinda like a lego set of building parts, windows, etc.) so i don't want to not be able to go through a doorway lol

If you're building your map in that way, I guess avoiding auto-clip is crucial. Also, manually clipping it is the way to go for determining structural and detail brushes and set up VIS, I suppose.

What would prevent you from walking through a doorway though?

Well, in Source, unless you manually make the collision hull you can't even shoot through holes and such let-alone walk through a doorway.

So if i made a wall with a doorway, using a model, I'd be able to walk through the doorway with no problem?

When you say manual clipping doesn't that mean making your own collision?