Dihydrogen Monoxide Ball

Well... there's a new hydroball level in town. I should probably play test it with someone other than a bot, but it seems like it should be good to go. I'd need another two maps at least for a new version of the ol' map pack, but I'm not really sure what to do with another two hydroball maps though. Perhaps I'll go for the blitzball style sphere? Any ideas?

2Zs51.jpg

994BF.jpg

klpr4.jpg

MagSul likes this
Any ideas?

One thing that always bugged me about hydroball was the fact that it was easily possible to shoot all the way across the pool and score. how about a level of this shape (queue mspaint skills):

ULwRO.jpg

This way, you would need to pass to the lower middle section in order to score. Not only would this decrease random sudden scoring, but it would make teamwork more important.

edit:

CURSE YOU NINJAELUM

Edited by MUG
Caelum likes this

Those are totally lyke the bestest pictures I have evar seen guys. Lyke omg 4 realz.

So which do we end up with, a nonlinear course or one with more obstacles? I didn't realize that was a big problem though. Did you guys not play with goalies?

Also, noticed in your previous hydroball map pack that team spawn areas don't work properly - that is, if you run into one team's arena entrance, you might still get placed in the other team just as well. Any way to fix that, or not really?

I'm not quite sure what this one is referring to, I've never had that happen to me. I don't see why it should happen... The team choice is just a trigger with a team key/value set in it... It's not like the number value in there should suddenly change :blink:

I've... never played hydroball and I feel I'm missing out badly :P

You really, really are xD

Did you guys not play with goalies?

aye, but they are worse than useless, its very easy to shoot past them, so generally there would be a player hanging near the goal, but his chances of blocking a direct shot at goal were low.

I'm not quite sure what this one is referring to

Aye, the team gates never actually selected your team at all when we played on your maps, you just got thrown into a random team.

also @@GingerbreadNinja I would love you forever if you made a short tutorial on how to set up a hydroball map, as I would love to make one, but have no idea how xD

Edited by MUG

aye, but they are worse than useless, its very easy to shoot past them, so generally there would be a player hanging near the goal, but his chances of blocking a direct shot at goal were low.

Sounds like you were just playing with bad goalies... Also, did you play with force when you played? Goalies should push/pull the ball out of the goal's trajectory. Also, your goalie should be good enough at diving to either:

A: forward dive and catch the ball

B: side dive and hit the ball away from the goal

Plus, your players hanging forward should never have given the opponent enough time on the ball to actually get away with a shot like that. And if you did, you kind of deserve to have a goal scored against you :P

Aye, the team gates never actually selected your team at all when we played on your maps, you just got thrown into a random team.

That is strange. Well, I just spent 10 minutes jumping between goals on this one and haven't had that happen to me yet. So, I'm hoping it is working... Did yous guys possibly have auto team balancing enabled (if that even works in hydroball...)?

also @@GingerbreadNinja I would love you forever if you made a short tutorial on how to set up a hydroball map, as I would love to make one, but have no idea how xD

They're quite easy. It just takes a little initial set up to get the entities in radiant. After that it's mostly self-explanatory. I'll see if I can whip something up for you. You'll probably have to wait until after the weekend though as it's Midsummer's Eve. I will probably spend the next three days in an alcohol-fueled stupor whilst burning witches.

If you guys ("you guys" being whichever of you maps) make a good hydroball map... and explains what hydroball is... maybe I'll play it with you.

Hydroball is like underwater soccer. There's one goal on each side, players work together on their team to try and score and prevent the other team from scoring. The first team to score ten goals wins. Since it is played underwater the game field is three dimensional.

When a player is holding the ball, their force bar depletes as they swim. The lower the force, the slower you swim. They will only start to regenerate force when they get rid of the ball again. The opposing team can punch or tackle the player in order to lower his force down further. It is also possible to punch the player and steal the ball.

The alt-attack button also does a 'dive' type move. You can do either a forward or sideways dive. Forward dives allow the player to grab the ball while he is quickly being propelled a short distance forward at the cost of a large chunk of force power. If he hits any players while doing this he will tackle them, potentially causing him to drop the ball. Sideways dashing cover more distance and allows the player to elbow the ball, and uses less force power. It is a good technique for moving around the field quickly, but it can't tackle or steal/grab the ball. You can also punch the ball to quickly send it flying forward.

Add onto this all of the force powers and you've got a very interesting game. Players using team-energize to try and help their teammates reach the ball faster, or swim faster when they have the ball... Players using drain to try and quickly sap the ball carrier and opposing team of their force so they can't catch up. Pushing and pulling the ball to change it's trajectory. A world of underwater fun awaits you.

Edited by GingerbreadNinja

Well... there's a new hydroball level in town. I should probably play test it with someone other than a bot, but it seems like it should be good to go. I'd need another two maps at least for a new version of the ol' map pack, but I'm not really sure what to do with another two hydroball maps though. Perhaps I'll go for the blitzball style sphere? Any ideas?

2Zs51.jpg

994BF.jpg

klpr4.jpg

As a worshipper of Hydroball, I approve of this highly. *Tips hat*