[Help] Yavin IV Trees and Darkened Screenshots

Kualan
Go to solution Solved by mrwonko,

Hi folks.

Okay, it's been a long old time since I played JKA on a Yavin IV map, and so I have no idea how long this issue has been present in my game, but despite having a solid computer/graphics card/etc (it recently ran Total War Rome 2 just fine on relatively high settings, for example) I can't for the life of me explain why trees in JKA have decided to start appearing as thus:

shot0106.jpg

Meddling with the in-game settings hasn't worked to resolve the issue, so I am wondering if there might be a line or something in the game's CFG file (which I have modified already to allow me to run in 1920x1080 - the source of the problem perhaps?) that I can tamper with to fix the above problem.

A second, lesser, issue is that the above screenshot has - as you can see - come out very dark despite the fact that I have turned up the game's Brightness to full. It was far brighter when I -took- the screenshot, but appears in the actual screenshot folder as if it was using the default Brightness setting.

Any help for either issue would be greatly appreciated.

- Kualan

I've only had these kind of issues when I've had an iffy file lurking in my Base folder. I don't mean virus-contaminated or anything. I mean I've downloaded a map, and for whatever reason (probably some sort of shader conflict) things such as that happen. Move your custom files into a backup folder, and try running the game with just that one installed and see if you experience the same problem. If not, the issue is due to one of the files sitting in your Base folder.

• Solution

A second, lesser, issue is that the above screenshot has - as you can see - come out very dark despite the fact that I have turned up the game's Brightness to full. It was far brighter when I -took- the screenshot, but appears in the actual screenshot folder as if it was using the default Brightness setting.

That's intentional. Brightness adjustments depend on the user's screen, after all, so it saves the unbrightened image.

I've only had these kind of issues when I've had an iffy file lurking in my Base folder. I don't mean virus-contaminated or anything. I mean I've downloaded a map, and for whatever reason (probably some sort of shader conflict) things such as that happen. Move your custom files into a backup folder, and try running the game with just that one installed and see if you experience the same problem. If not, the issue is due to one of the files sitting in your Base folder.

Yeah, this. The transparency of the leaves is defined in a thing called a shader, which is (in Jedi Academy's case) basically a text file that defines the material. A single broken such file can break other ones as well, so chances are you have a custom map/model/... that comes with a broken shader, resulting in broken trees and who knows what else.