Making env maps/shiny for weapons?

I don't really ask for help much here but oh well.  I'd like to be able to make shiny parts for some stuff I'm working on, i know how to make them in 3DS Max but is there something like an alpha that the engine needs to read in order to acknowledge it?

I've tried looking for tutorials on this particular thing but no luck as of yet, i've even tried going through a few textures that i know use "shiny" parts on them but they just seem to be simple .JPG and i wasn't aware that .JPG used alpha channels.  So i guess that it has something to do with the shader itself but, as i said, i can't find any tutorials on it xD

I noticed that some models come with 2 or 3 textures, one that  says _spec and one that says _glow.  Obviously self explanatory but i don't get how a simple .JPG can have such an effect in the engine.

I'll continue to look through textures and shader files until somebody can explain it to me or provide a tutorial.

it's all in the shader files , I'll document one or two of my files for you

Edit : there you go , If you need further help let me know ;)

models/weapons2/illrian2/w_saber <- target texture path , it doesnt have to exist as an image but your model has to load this texture for the shader to have an effect
{
    q3map_nolightmap
    {
        map models/weapons2/illrian2/w_saber  <- texture path for the first stage 
        blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO              <-default blendfunc , no Transparency 
        rgbGen lightingDiffuse                <- makes this stage the diffuse stage of you shader , in 3ds max this would be your diffuse/color map
    }
    {
        map textures/common/env               <- texture path for the second stage 
        blendFunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_SRC_COLOR   <- blendfunc that works similiar to the "Overlay" blendmode in photoshop 
        detail                                <- prevents this stage from being rendered from far distance
        alphaGen const 0.5                    <- I think you can guess what this does , if you dont this sets the stages opacity to 50% (I use this to tweak the intensity of the shine)
        tcGen environment                     <- This makes the stage an Environment map , which is exactly what you asked for
    }
    {
        map models/weapons2/illrian2/w_noshine
        blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA <- Soft-Edged alpha default blendfunc , this stage overlays parts of my now glossy Texture to cover the gloss effect in some places
        rgbGen lightingDiffuse
    }
    {
        map  models/weapons2/illrian2/w_spec
        blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE        <- I cant tell you more about this than that this blendfunc is usually used for Specularity stages , I havnt experimented with changing this 
        detail
        alphaGen lightingSpecular            <- only draws this stage when the surface is lit bright enough , (makes it a specular map)
    }
}

I got one more for ya

models/weapons2/w_starkiller/red
{
	q3map_nolightmap
	cull	disable
    {
        map models/weapons2/w_starkiller/diffuse
        alphaFunc GE128                             <- Hard edged alpha , above 50% opacity will be opague and everything below will be fully transparent
        blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
        rgbGen lightingDiffuse
    }
    {
        map models/weapons2/w_starkiller/cr
        blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA
        rgbGen lightingDiffuse
    }
    {
        map models/weapons2/w_starkiller/specular
        blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE
        detail
        alphaGen lightingSpecular
    }
    {
        map models/weapons2/w_starkiller/ir 
        blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE               <-this blendfunc gives you alpha depending on the brightness of your texture map , white = 100% visible , black = 0% visible
        detail
        glow                                  <-this enables dynamic glow
    }
}

it's all in the shader files , I'll document one or two of my files for you

Edit : there you go , If you need further help let me know ;)

models/weapons2/illrian2/w_saber <- target texture path , it doesnt have to exist as an image but your model has to load this texture for the shader to have an effect
{
    q3map_nolightmap
    {
        map models/weapons2/illrian2/w_saber  <- texture path for the first stage 
        blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO              <-default blendfunc , no Transparency 
        rgbGen lightingDiffuse                <- makes this stage the diffuse stage of you shader , in 3ds max this would be your diffuse/color map
    }
    {
        map textures/common/env               <- texture path for the second stage 
        blendFunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_SRC_COLOR   <- blendfunc that works similiar to the "Overlay" blendmode in photoshop 
        detail                                <- prevents this stage from being rendered from far distance
        alphaGen const 0.5                    <- I think you can guess what this does , if you dont this sets the stages opacity to 50% (I use this to tweak the intensity of the shine)
        tcGen environment                     <- This makes the stage an Environment map , which is exactly what you asked for
    }
    {
        map models/weapons2/illrian2/w_noshine
        blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA <- Soft-Edged alpha default blendfunc , this stage overlays parts of my now glossy Texture to cover the gloss effect in some places
        rgbGen lightingDiffuse
    }
    {
        map  models/weapons2/illrian2/w_spec
        blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE        <- I cant tell you more about this than that this blendfunc is usually used for Specularity stages , I havnt experimented with changing this 
        detail
        alphaGen lightingSpecular            <- only draws this stage when the surface is lit bright enough , (makes it a specular map)
    }
}

I got one more for ya

models/weapons2/w_starkiller/red
{
	q3map_nolightmap
	cull	disable
    {
        map models/weapons2/w_starkiller/diffuse
        alphaFunc GE128                             <- Hard edged alpha , above 50% opacity will be opague and everything below will be fully transparent
        blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
        rgbGen lightingDiffuse
    }
    {
        map models/weapons2/w_starkiller/cr
        blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA
        rgbGen lightingDiffuse
    }
    {
        map models/weapons2/w_starkiller/specular
        blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE
        detail
        alphaGen lightingSpecular
    }
    {
        map models/weapons2/w_starkiller/ir 
        blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE               <-this blendfunc gives you alpha depending on the brightness of your texture map , white = 100% visible , black = 0% visible
        detail
        glow                                  <-this enables dynamic glow
    }
}

So using this as a basis how much needs to be changed apart from file names obviously?  I just want to mess around with it but i bloody hate scripting lol.

I was messing around in shaderEd for my Stormtrooper, and I was able to have specular & gloss on the armor. The spec worked as it normally does and made the gloss become less visible the darker the spec was in certain areas. I think it came out pretty well. ;)

If you want the shader code, I'll post it but I think AshuraDX has it covered. :P

and how about masking off env stages? 

you can use either Overlays or another method Szico has shown me  , which I havn't really used yet

I'll dig up the shader for ya , this was supposed for a puddle one of the barrels I made for szico should leave in the map but somehow the decal effect didnt show up , while the shader itself worked fine when applied to a patchmesh in GTK

gfx/moonbase_labs/puddle_decal
{
 qer_editorimage gfx/moonbase_labs/puddle
 surfaceparm trans
 polygonOffset
 q3map_nolightmap
    {
        map gfx/moonbase_labs/puddle
        alphaFunc GE128
        depthWrite
    }
    {