Map not compiling to .BSP

I have had similar problems before, and I have always been able to find a solution in the past, but this time I simply can't get the map to compile.  The map isn't too laggy in GTKradiant, and I have made larger maps before.  I made sure that there were no entity errors either.  The compiling .bat goes through its normal process, but only creates a .prt file.  Actually, now that I think of it, I have had the same problem before, but the only way to fix it was to delete the player start.... :mellow: obviously not an option.  Please help me.... 

Well, I know what the error is now that I downloaded that one thing, set it up, and attempted to use it to compile my map.  This is all I get as an error:

************ ERROR ************
MAX_MAP_NODES
So, does this mean that my map is just too big to compile?  If so, that really sucks.... The map doesn't even seam half as big (or really that detailed) as many other maps that I have played through.  If anyone has any solution, or possible fixes to this, let me know.

Well, your methods would most likely work, however if I make more than 512 brushes/patches into a func_group, it gives a lot of players an error that doesn't allow them to play in the map on an online server.  Maybe it is just func_static though, I haven't checked before.

Wait, I confused myself... how do you make brushes and patches become "detail"  It isn't func_group or func_static like I thought at first.  Hopefully I will figure this out on my own, it seams relatively simple...

most mine was learned from trial and error, and some was passed onto me from another mapper, and tutorial wise was rich diesel's but yeah some stuff isn't covered in the text books, this would be one those cases, where even I didn't know about the max number of detail type brushes so i'll have to rethink my current map

I still can't figure out what makes map brushes and patches considered to be "details", can someone explain to me how to do this, and what is different about a "detail" than a normal brush/patch.
I opened one of the old example maps that came with GTKradiant (t1_rail), and filtered details out of view, and about half of the worldspawn type brushes turned invisible.  There seams to be no difference between the ones that were filtered out as "details" and the ones that stayed in view as average map components.

t1_rail isn't a good example. Try t2_rancor.

Each map is separated into "detail" and "structural". By default when you make a brush, it's considered structural. What's the difference? Well, a structural brush is used in the PVS (potentially visible sets - the game divides the maps into regions which can be seen by the player. VIS/PVS can eliminate the effects of a wallhack if done correctly) calculations in order to prevent unnecessary details occluded by walls to render on the video card. Why are you getting the MAX_MAP_NODES error? Because you have too many brushes which are structural, which splits the map into way too many potentially visible sets.

To change whether a brush is structural/detail, select a brush and do one of the following:

Brush > Make Detail (Ctrl+M)

Brush > Make Structural (Ctrl+Shift+S)

Detail brushes not only allow your map to compile, but improve FPS dramatically in some situations. They also improve latency and keep ping low.

Well, I changed all of the brushes in the map to detail, but there are too many patches so the map gives me the same error.  Is there a way to do something about the patches?  If not, I will attempt to replace as many as possible with brushes.

I'm not sure how it splits volumes into nodes precisely, but what I do know is that yeah, patches aren't going to give you any issues like this.

Side note since you mentioned _cs and _rs: you can make only specific brushes cast shadows on specific brushes this way. Just set _cs and _rs to be matching values higher than 1.

JKG uses this for layered maps I believe (each layer has its own _cs and _rs values, so that the top layer doesn't cast a shadow on the bottom layer)

Back on topic here: Yeah, just make stuff detailed and ignore patches, they don't cause splits.

My map has very few brushes actually, ( in between 200 and 300, I forgot the exact number )  and I have made maps with well over that amount of brushes before.  The reason why I believed the problem to have been caused by patches, is because there are more patches in the map than any other map that I have ever made.

Perhaps I can upload the map and anyone can take a look at it, and try to determine what the true error is.

Alright, I uploaded the file, it should be my only file, but for now it still needs to be approved.

You said it was MAX_MAP_NODES. Yes? Did you read my post?

Yes, I read your post.  I attempted to transform about half of the brushes ( I was unable to define "unnecessary" ) into detail, and left the other half as structural, however it continued to give me the same error.

You're welcome by the way.

Yeah, thanks for all of the help, I was unable to get on to check my topics because I was on vacation with my family.  I'll try doing the things that you did to get it to compile, hope that works.

Do we still need this, then?

Hmm, I suppose that I don't need to keep the map up anymore, but, some people may want to use components of the map in their own.  When I get a chance, I will put the buildings and other stuff into a prefab pack and put it up instead.