Let's speculate about the next Windows

Windows 8 certainly wasn't the success Microsoft thought it would be. (Yeah, because people that use laptops are totally going to accept a new, crappy hybrid between touchphones and laptops) And so, because there's nothing else interesting to do right now, let's speculate. Will the next Windows return to the old, superior interface or will the poor laptop users be forced to use more and more of touchcrap?

Yeah, because people that use laptops are totally going to accept a new, crappy hybrid between touchphones and laptops

What the heck are you talking about? As for me, Win8 is perfect for my lap and it works MUCH better and faster than Win7.

Oh, and one more question - have you ever used Win8 more than a week? If no, how can we believe in your words about W8?

MUG likes this

A large majority of people only need a computer for Facebook and windows 8 is pretty comfortable for that so no, I don't think it will go away any time soon.

They MIGHT just MIGHT add an option to use start menu though.

Even if they don't, start8 and ClassicShell exist for a reason.

I hear it is pretty fast though. And I'm a sucker for solid colors. I just hope start8/ClassicShell remove all traces of metro.

I hear it is pretty fast though. And I'm a sucker for solid colors. I just hope start8/ClassicShell remove all traces of metro.

Indeed it is, makes my Inspiron 1545 run like a dream, can't say I like the gestures you have to make to use the metro, but it is more tolerable with the track pad than a physical mouse.

All of the start-button apps I have seen don't actually remove or even block metro, they just  prevent you from needing to go into it.

Indeed it is, makes my Inspiron 1545 run like a dream, can't say I like the gestures you have to make to use the metro, but it is more tolerable with the track pad than a physical mouse.

All of the start-button apps I have seen don't actually remove or even block metro, they just  prevent you from needing to go into it.

That's what I meant. If I don't see it, it's not there :D

I just seem to recall @@Caelum mentioning you still have to use it even if you have one of dem programs.

It's not that bad. Personally I don't like .. any of the apps I've tried to use with Windows 8 so far but the system itself is much more stable/faster than Win7 from my experience.

I followed Caels advice on installing Start8, which reintroduces the traditional Start Menu whilst keeping Metro around if you need it.

In terms of Windows 9, I think it'll become much more app based... the traditional windows will be slowly faded out but I doubt that'll be done over the next few versions.

Mog likes this
Guest Kel'ariy Ory'Hara

personally, i think microsoft needs to take a good several steps back and look at da classic windows 98.  totally rebuild it from the ground up, make it as stable as xp, with the great game and program compatability from windows 95 to windows 7, :)

make it capable of handling the ntfs filesystem, make a pro 64 bit version. make it capable of reading atleast 4 gb's ram, lol and the 1-2 tb hdd's of today :)

Jango40 and minilogoguy18 like this

4gm of RAM is puny these days, your out of the box PC comes with 4-6gb, if you have less than 4 you might as well be rubbing sticks and stones together to make fire.

I keep hearing how 8 runs everything faster than 7, it still has a desktop view that you can go to but it definitely needs the view that xp/7 have when it comes to dealing with files/folders.

8 speed+XP interface would be the ultimate win, hopefully this could be realized in a Professional version of the OS since the whole metro theme is like useless to someone in a professional setting. I know at work using the HDS (Honda Diagnostic System) on a Windows 8 laptop would be pointless and just make things more complicated than they had to be.

Guest Kel'ariy Ory'Hara

nah, 4 gb isnt puny, lol. sure the newest pc's have more then 4 these days, but not everyone is running ultimate top of the line, lol.

if you wanna see puny, look at windows 98's current req's, rofl, 24 mb ram recommended ;)

Guest Kel'ariy Ory'Hara

LOL, thanks moondog, know i dont have to drop my maul as hard, rofl

anyways, not everyone runs the latest dell systems, hehehe.

for one, i run a dell optiplex 745, and i have only 2 gb ;)

I couldn't deal with 6gb, you must not use your PC for anything but web browsing, I had to go to 16gb. Nice not having to deal with slowdowns due to all my RAM being used up.

I'm using 2.87gb of my paging file now without even having anything but steam, firefox and windows live messenger running, don't know how you live with so little.