Mapping water textures

I'm making an underwater tunnel in GTKRadiant. As you can see in the image, at the junctions in the tunnel blue and dark textures form instead of there being a seamless transition. I used caulk_water on the water brushes and bespin/water2 on the top and bottom of the water brushes. I am wondering if there is a technique that could remove the seams that form between the brushes at each turn in the tunnel.

shot2023-11-12_16-04-26.jpg

Smoo likes this

My suggestion is.....

Make a single, large brush for the underwater effect that covers your entire underwater area, textured on all faces with caulk_water.

Then for your water surfaces, either use a separate brush with a shader that does not contain the water property, or use a patch mesh for each one.

Smoo likes this
2 hours ago, NAB622 said:

My suggestion is.....

Make a single, large brush for the underwater effect that covers your entire underwater area, textured on all faces with caulk_water.

Then for your water surfaces, either use a separate brush with a shader that does not contain the water property, or use a patch mesh for each one.

Good idea, I'll give it a try. Also, I have a second issue where my player character turns blue when standing out of the water but near the water brush. Sometimes the issue seems to go away when I edit brushes but I'm not sure why. For example in the image there is a water brush in the dark hole over the ledge, and it colors me blue even though I'm not in water.

EDIT: I used one big water brush for the tunnel and the exit pools, and it got rid of the ugly transitions as well as the blue character. I still don't understand what causes that blue character issue but at least I have a solution.

shot2023-11-12_18-31-34.jpg

Does the underwater fog still work? I assume the blue character is related to that somehow, since it's also blue.

bespin/water2 has fogparms configured to give it that blue fog, while caulk_water does not configure any fog, so I'm not sure which takes precedence when you mix both on a brush.

Maybe this can be tackled with modern q3map2 from NetRadiant Custom:

https://github.com/Garux/netradiant-custom/commit/8565682f07375f6e4bba5d29c7f42f003ac8627f

My advice... do not mix water and fog into one shader - instead make your water with caulk_water (doesn't matter if multiple brushes) the topsides of which you give a watershader (potentially with q3map_tessSize and q3map_globalTexture)
For underwater fog, you should make only one fog-volume / brush covering the entirity. If that's not possible, look at the commit above and see if you can wrap your head around it on how to use this change to your advantage.

Also take into consideration that the blue overlay and perspective skewing already is forced through it being a water volume, the extra fog you would add via brush.

(linear fog, not like worldspawn fog which would use GL Fog with radial falloff and probably inverse square compared to the linear horizontal fog culling you get with brushfog)

jedimaster123 likes this
16 hours ago, mrwonko said:

Does the underwater fog still work? I assume the blue character is related to that somehow, since it's also blue.

bespin/water2 has fogparms configured to give it that blue fog, while caulk_water does not configure any fog, so I'm not sure which takes precedence when you mix both on a brush.

My character turns blue and water turns dark blue when I am underwater if that's what you're asking.

14 hours ago, mjt said:

Maybe this can be tackled with modern q3map2 from NetRadiant Custom:

https://github.com/Garux/netradiant-custom/commit/8565682f07375f6e4bba5d29c7f42f003ac8627f

My advice... do not mix water and fog into one shader - instead make your water with caulk_water (doesn't matter if multiple brushes) the topsides of which you give a watershader (potentially with q3map_tessSize and q3map_globalTexture)
For underwater fog, you should make only one fog-volume / brush covering the entirity. If that's not possible, look at the commit above and see if you can wrap your head around it on how to use this change to your advantage.

Also take into consideration that the blue overlay and perspective skewing already is forced through it being a water volume, the extra fog you would add via brush.

(linear fog, not like worldspawn fog which would use GL Fog with radial falloff and probably inverse square compared to the linear horizontal fog culling you get with brushfog)

I'm just learning as I go so I'm not that familiar with custom shaders...I need to read the tutorials on custom liquids and shaders by RichDeisal

• Lancelot changed the title to Mapping water textures