Advice on Coding

So I'm new to the whole modding scene and was wanting to start off small and learn some basic coding. I already know how to edit NPC files and change their weapons. I dont really know how to do anything else when it comes to coding. I'm not exactly sure where to go for coding tutorials. I know that the coding language used is C++ and that I need a specific code compiler to be able to edit the source code. Any advice on coding would be appreciated. My hope is that I will be able to figure out how to increase the damage for weapons, write basic scripts, and be able to successfully change NPC classes. As stated earlier, any advice on coding such as code compilers would be great. Just for reference, I am using Notepad ++ as my code editor. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/11/2020 at 11:46 PM, ShadowKoopa7 said:

So I'm new to the whole modding scene and was wanting to start off small and learn some basic coding. I already know how to edit NPC files and change their weapons. I dont really know how to do anything else when it comes to coding. I'm not exactly sure where to go for coding tutorials. I know that the coding language used is C++ and that I need a specific code compiler to be able to edit the source code. Any advice on coding would be appreciated. My hope is that I will be able to figure out how to increase the damage for weapons, write basic scripts, and be able to successfully change NPC classes. As stated earlier, any advice on coding such as code compilers would be great. Just for reference, I am using Notepad ++ as my code editor. 

there a re a lot of tutorial about coding here on JKHUB. you need to use visual studio for build your solution, eezstreet tutorials can help you to start.

you can try to add new weapons or force powers o customize visual effects of bullets or force powers or add new damage weakness o resistances to classes into g_combat. i started on that way. there are some oldest tutorial of mine that explain you how to add a new weapon or a new force power step by step.

But,honestly, coding is the last step you need, before code you should fully understanding how work jka gameplay and modding.

i suggest you to learn at least the basic about how to add NPC and SABERS, how to rig a character or make a saber, how to make a basic map. with coding you can edit the gameplay, but is very complicated and require a good knowledge of gameplay and of engine. edit things without know what are you doing can have unpredictable effects.

1 hour ago, ShadowKoopa7 said:

I will definitely look into your tutorials. What software do I need to make maps? I would like to start mapping as it seems easier to do than some other things.

Gtkradiant.

There is a whole mapping section of the forum, and a tutorial section.

Its fairly easy to get the basics and have a working map quickly - just expect it to take some practice until you can achieve a quality looking (and playing) map.

5 hours ago, ShadowKoopa7 said:

I will definitely look into your tutorials. What software do I need to make maps? I would like to start mapping as it seems easier to do than some other things.

Gtk radiant. you should use the custom version that use mjt, can you avoid a ton of job, cause it allow to build maps with autocollision of MD3 static meshes, so you can avoid to spare time draw by hand the colliders of static models. :)