Adding vehicles into map

Go to solution Solved by Noodle,

Hey all. This may seem a silly question, but I'm having issues with adding a basic x-wing into my map. I tried two methods, first by adding in the NPC_Vehicle entity, then by adding the target_position entity and editing the classname to NPC_Vehicle. 

Both methods render no results. The map seems capable to telling the game that an x-wing belongs there, but when I devmap into it, the vehicle doesn't spawn. I get a console error that just tells me it couldn't spawn. 

I'm using GTK Radiant 1.6.6 and loading up JA+ to test the map. 

Any steps on how to ensure that I'm able to add vehicles here? It's pretty central to the the theme of the map.

Thanks in advance, guys! 

• Solution

Both methods render no results. The map seems capable to telling the game that an x-wing belongs there, but when I devmap into it, the vehicle doesn't spawn. I get a console error that just tells me it couldn't spawn. 

If you're getting that error it means the spawner is working but the NPC has some error. Do you have many vehicle/NPC files on your base folder? It could've been overrided and hence the x-wing doesn't spawn.

If you're getting that error it means the spawner is working but the NPC has some error. Do you have many vehicle/NPC files on your base folder? It could've been overrided and hence the x-wing doesn't spawn.

See that's what I thought, but the swoop spawns just fine in other maps. 

That's the other weird thing, too. I'm not calling for a swoop, but alongside the error for the x-wing, I'm getting an error for the swoop. With OpenJK and japlus, the vehicle thing shouldn't be a big deal, should it?

Also, as an aside, I need to know how to generate the .prt file. Thanks ;)

The prt file is a by product of the compilation process and should be generated by q3map2. If you get an error stating that the file is missing, try deleting all files besides the created by q3map2 for the Map youbare trieing to compile.

The prt file is a by product of the compilation process and should be generated by q3map2. If you get an error stating that the file is missing, try deleting all files besides the created by q3map2 for the Map youbare trieing to compile.

I actually self-solved this. I think the commands weren't running a -saveprt so I just downloaded the GUI and the problem was solved. THanks though, Ashura! :D 

See that's what I thought, but the swoop spawns just fine in other maps. 

That's the other weird thing, too. I'm not calling for a swoop, but alongside the error for the x-wing, I'm getting an error for the swoop. With OpenJK and japlus, the vehicle thing shouldn't be a big deal, should it?

It's an alphabetical order thing. Swoops might spawn because it starts with an 's', while 'x-wing' doesn't. Have you tried spawning the x-wing with ingame commands? (npc spawn vehicle x-wing). If that doesn't work, it proves that the file was overriden. Otherwise I'll have to think what else could be failing, but posting a screenshot of the NPC_Vehicle entity might help.

Yeah I couldn't spawn it in-game either, even after I'd removed all the other vehicles. 

The swoops will spawn in SJC's Mos Kreetle map for me when I join a server, but they won't spawn for me when I devmap into the same map. So yeah, it's gotta be something with my base folder.  

Here's the entity, though, just in case. 

49F8VAS.jpg

There isn't a vehicles.dat. It probably was a leftover developer thing. As Noodle said, you probably have something in your base folder which causes this problem. You said you removed all the vehicle you had: are you sure there isn't any other .pk3 which modifies the X-Wing vehicle file?

So the issue was that there were too many NPC files. I removed all excess vehicles and then removed NPC files for all the custom models I keep for RP. 

After that, the x-wing spawned in. 

Noodle likes this