Model modelling: making a cap

Go to solution Solved by AshuraDX,

@@Asgarath83 I have no idea what you are doing wrong - are you running my capper on the reduced version?

Send me the scene you are running it on.

EDIT: Actually I may have an idea... Did you export to .3ds from max 2010 to carry the model into max 5? That would have split the model along UV seams - which breaks the capping script significantly.

@@Asgarath83 I have no idea what you are doing wrong - are you running my capper on the reduced version?

Send me the scene you are running it on.

EDIT: Actually I may have an idea... Did you export to .3ds from max 2010 to carry the model into max 5? That would have split the model along UV seams - which breaks the capping script significantly.

Nope. I ported model by blender 2.48 to max 5 with GLM format. other importing format created by blender not are imported correctly. I tryed on my decimated \ optimized bandit because, as i told, your bandit scripts never worked on my max 5 - 2010 so i'll never imported it on max 2010 - 5. i think that capper scripts works only for models that have some requirement that i not know. i tryed also with another model as i told, and also with that i not get good caps. : \

i have 3 blender version on my computer for my personal necessity and motivation: 2.48 , 2.64 and 2.68. 2.68 is for decimate HD models without lose UV, 2.64 is for create MD3. 2.48 is my oldest blender that contain a large assets of stuff and exporter for dozens of formats.

of max i have the 5 (i always use this , i now is uptodated but i like it ) and 2010 (use just in excetional case like that. if capper script works fine, sure i'll use more 2010 in future.

yes, i know is silly complicated and i not pretend to be understood about all this version programs so oldiest. >.<

I am sure, that if you send me bandit on a portable format on max 5 -10 and i use capper script on that it worked fine. i guess scripts for works require

- creation of nine meshes head, torso hips, arms, legs etc.

- Editable poly conversion of all nine meshes

- others factors? (maybe mesh need to touch each other? or have clear border and edge with correct and perfect wireframe and other requirement? how works exactly your capper script?   :)

Hi Archangel!

Mmm i have the idea that maybe script works selecting border selections of editable poly mesh with fatal names , capping and triangulate it. 

but if a mesh is broken, his "border" are also inner edges of wireframe and not only the external edge. so the capping procedure generate caps with absurb geometries.

Hi Archangel!

Mmm i have the idea that maybe script works selecting border selections of editable poly mesh with fatal names , capping and triangulate it.

but if a mesh is broken, his "border" are also inner edges of wireframe and not only the external edge. so the capping procedure generate caps with absurb geometries.

That is exactly how it works.

And why it fucks up and the fact that you use blender to convert the .glm models explains a lot. Blender splits meshes along their UV Seams.

Try adding a vertex weld modifier with a really low threshold like 0.001 to the meshes and convert them to editable poly again.

Then run the capper script.

That is exactly how it works.

And why it fucks up and the fact that you use blender to convert the .glm models explains a lot. Blender splits meshes along their UV Seams.

Try adding a vertex weld modifier with a really low threshold like 0.001 to the meshes and convert them to editable poly again.

Then run the capper script.

Mmm okay. yesterday evening i end capping manually with this procedure:

select meshes optimized, select edges manually, extrude to 50, select vertexes extruded and scaled to 0 so i get a coned long cap.

go to selection face, selection the faces of cap (cap is a degenerated triangled thorn in that way) and detach with her name.

repeat for each cap and so i have 8 of 16 caps at the end. final step is to select all caps and manually fix central vertexes placing at exact center of all edges, that solve the "cone" form of cap and cap become nice.

at this point, apply uvmapping planar map to all caps, clone all caps, and flip faces of cloned caps. rename the clone caps (example torso_cap_hips_off01 become hips_cap_torso_off.

okay that is a temp fix for the problem. so almost now rthe model is hierachable and riggable.

but you not works for nothing, that's not correct after all your help.

So... import by blender on glm format to 3d max cause the craps that fuck models and avoid to modelcapper scripts to works fine. good to know that. pity import by obj give me mesh with all body parts attached in a big giant mesh also if they have material different and 3ds porting of my max not work fine, model are not corrected ported and displayed on the workflows.

GLM is unique porting works for my max and also the other JKA model i tryed plug in originally was ported with a GLM format. that explain the bug.

So, soon i wanna however try your method on the 3d max save slot with precapped bandit model, let we see if works :3

i'll apply a vertex weld with low threshold and after i try the modelcapper... i hope this time will works.

today i am kinda busy, but when i'll can will let you know the progress. :) stay tuned.

Mmm okay. yesterday evening i end capping manually with this procedure:

select meshes optimized, select edges manually, extrude to 50, select vertexes extruded and scaled to 0 so i get a coned long cap.

go to selection face, selection the faces of cap (cap is a degenerated triangled thorn in that way) and detach with her name.

repeat for each cap and so i have 8 of 16 caps at the end. final step is to select all caps and manually fix central vertexes placing at exact center of all edges, that solve the "cone" form of cap and cap become nice.

at this point, apply uvmapping planar map to all caps, clone all caps, and flip faces of cloned caps. rename the clone caps (example torso_cap_hips_off01 become hips_cap_torso_off.

okay that is a temp fix for the problem. so almost now rthe model is hierachable and riggable.

but you not works for nothing, that's not correct after all your help.

So... import by blender on glm format to 3d max cause the craps that fuck models and avoid to modelcapper scripts to works fine. good to know that. pity import by obj give me mesh with all body parts attached in a big giant mesh also if they have material different and 3ds porting of my max not work fine, model are not corrected ported and displayed on the workflows.

GLM is unique porting works for my max and also the other JKA model i tryed plug in originally was ported with a GLM format. that explain the bug.

So, soon i wanna however try your method on the 3d max save slot with precapped bandit model, let we see if works :3

i'll apply a vertex weld with low threshold and after i try the modelcapper... i hope this time will works.

today i am kinda busy, but when i'll can will let you know the progress. :) stay tuned.

Tryed in a lot of spare time. yes, applying optimized for fix crap wireframe and vertex weld modifier seems really to fix fine the meshes for allow modelcapper to works properly and make better caps! thanks @@AshuraDX you save my brain! :)

@@Asgarath83 glad to hear that it worked now!

Blenders.obj exporter is kinda strange, importing those files into max allways results in a jarring mess. I use Noesis to convert .obj files from blender into a "different" .obj format that imports into 3ds max without any problems.

EDIT: I also managed to successfully execute the bandit_cleaned.ms file in Gmax, which uses an even odler version of Maxscript than max 5 as far as I know. So I'm really puzzled as to why it would fail in max 5.

Mmm, Noesis. *facepalm* Good suggest, maybe can solve my problems related to interaction by max and blender. i get ever trouble when import \ export something by one or the other. some imports \exports works better on blender older version, other on blender new version.

Noesis can also convert OBJ or 3DS to quake 3 MAP files? i tryed yesterday with blender 2.48 for another project but the map files resulted what totally fucked and unworkables. because is i solve also that, i can rip levels from a game with 3dreaper, import on max with 3dr, export to 3ds \ obj and use noesis for convert into map.

if the geometry is not broken, i can retexture and run levels on JKA without manually rebuild these maps. there are two location i wanna recreate  for my mod.

PS : not worry i know radiant and JKA not allows level with more of 64,000 brushes. this game is pretty old (2001) so the meshes drawcalls geometry is very simple and light.

@@Asgarath83 Noesis will not convert .3ds or .obj files to useable quake 3 maps in any way.

EDIT: turns out I missed to send you a folder that was required by the bandit_cleaned.ms file.

Unzip this to some directory and then run the bandit_cleaned.ms file. This should finally work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ygz17cc7cq8sscs/bandit_cleaned.zip?dl=0

d'oh. thanks. damn, how f**k i can do eternal prison and hylden city from blood omen 2 on JKA? ... more of using prefabs coming by quake3 map and reassembling for recreate almost new areas,... i have no idea. :( i not need to remake meridian city... because on thousand of years a city change so when i'll do Meridian i can remake as my own personal vision. but these placed are eternal and not change into the times. :\