Problems with duplicating in Blender

Hello everyone

I am having problems with duplicating in Blender. In fact I am not able to duplicate anything at all because when I try open in modview it says "this models needs rebuilding guys" One is not connected up the hierarchy or something.

For example I wish to duplicate an accessory from one leg to the other. I just click on duplicate -> miror and parent it to the other leg (& change name) and then I don't know what to do in order to let it work in Modview. It let me save in Blender though.

Can someone help me with this issue?

Thank you

Greetings

PreFXDesigns

Make sure you change both the Object Name and the Name under Ghoul 2 Properties, otherwise it will keep the same name as the original object, and that will cause a lot of troubles.

Also, be careful when mirroring objects, as it might mess up the object normals, and will basically make that model piece (or parts of it) inside out.

PreFXDesigns likes this

Make sure you change both the Object Name and the Name under Ghoul 2 Properties, otherwise it will keep the same name as the original object, and that will cause a lot of troubles.

Also, be careful when mirroring objects, as it might mess up the object normals, and will basically make that model piece (or parts of it) inside out.

Ok thank you. trying it out right now.

Unfortunately it doesnt work in JKA. The position of the belt is totally wrong. I assume because left and right leg move differently ingame. I guess it's not possible.

That's probably because you have to fix the weights of the mesh. Basically change the name of the bones it is weighted to in Data -> Vertex Groups so that it will be targeted to the left leg bones which affect the mesh.

PreFXDesigns likes this

That's probably because you have to fix the weights of the mesh. Basically change the name of the bones it is weighted to in Data -> Vertex Groups so that it will be targeted to the left leg bones which affect the mesh.

I have no idea how to weight paint. It's to complicated for me. The belt which i duplicated is parented to hips_caps_torso_off. In Vertex Group i have two options "Pelvis and rfemurYZ". I have no idea what to do next

:(

UPDATE: ok i changed rfemurYZ to lfemurYZ and it worked :)

Now let's see what it looks like ingame :)

UPDATE: ingame it's invisible :(

I mean i can see it's there a bit but when I turn my screen it goes away. It looks like the same mechanism with glasses in JKA. 

I have no idea how to weight paint. It's to complicated for me. The belt which i duplicated is parented to hips_caps_torso_off. In Vertex Group i have two options "Pelvis and rfemurYZ". I have no idea what to do next

:(

UPDATE: ok i changed rfemurYZ to lfemurYZ and it worked :)

Now let's see what it looks like ingame :)

UPDATE: ingame it's invisible :(

I mean i can see it's there a bit but when I turn my screen it goes away. It looks like the same mechanism with glasses in JKA. 

Probably the aforementioned problem with the normals. Blender should theoretically be able to fix it, either recalculating the normals outside (Edit Mode -> Mesh -> Normals -> Recalculate Outside) or flipping its normals (Edit Mode -> Mesh -> Faces -> Flip Normals), but in case it doesn't, you can edit the shader of that texture so that it is visible from both sides, inserting the line cull twosided before any shader block.

The Punisher and PreFXDesigns like this

Probably the aforementioned problem with the normals. Blender should theoretically be able to fix it, either recalculating the normals outside (Edit Mode -> Mesh -> Normals -> Recalculate Outside) or flipping its normals (Edit Mode -> Mesh -> Faces -> Flip Normals), but in case it doesn't, you can edit the shader of that texture so that it is visible from both sides, inserting the line cull twosided before any shader block.

I tested the two solutions but they didnt worked :(

But yeah it's not that big of an issue.

Thank you for your help guys!

I am not at my computer so I'm going to try the way I do it from the back of my memory.....For the  purpose of the example, let's call the mesh "r_leg_strap"

Select r_leg_strap

add and apply a mirror modifier (Make sure you select apply)

a "mirror" of the mesh should be created.

change to edit mode

make sure nothing is selected

select only the "mirror" mesh

split the selected mesh (hit p then selection)

Change back to object mode

select the "new" mesh and rename it "l_leg_strap" (starts with lower case L) in the Ghoul 2 name properties, l_leg_strap_0 in the object and data properties

In the data properties, rename whatever bones start with "r" to start with l (lower case "L") so the bones are weights are applied to the left side bones

Export the model

edit the "skin" files and add the texture for the "new" mesh, for example:
l_leg_strap,models/players/some_model/straps.tga

Hope this helps.

Notes: name is up to you, I just like to keep it in a familiar way (at least for me)....

PreFXDesigns likes this