COMMUNITY FEEDBACK POLL: TFU Black Lightsaber

Community Feedback  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like us to do concerning the black lightsaber in its current state?

• If you can't fix it, remove the blade.
    • If you can't fix it, still leave it in.
    • Get rid of it anyway.

As you may have seen in past progress reports, we also added in the black lightsaber from The Force Unleashed into the game. However, we've recently discovered a bit of a bug. After some consideration, I've decided to poll the community on this matter. Essentially, in both SFX and non-SFX mode, the black lightsaber acts very strangely over all non-solid areas, water, and lava. In non-SFX mode, the blade becomes more transparent, and is almost impossible to see. In SFX mode, the saber's core shader stops working, and you can see the white background of the texture. Allow me to show you.

Non-SFX:

Before: shot2017-07-11_23-57-21.jpg

After: shot2017-07-11_23-57-55.jpg

SFX: 

Before: shot2017-07-12_00-01-25.jpg

After: shot2017-07-12_00-01-30.jpg

We are trying everything we can in an attempt to fix this, maybe this is an engine issue, I don't know. Unfortunately, we're running out of options, and there are way more important things for us to work on. I'm leaving up a poll for you all to vote. Make sure you vote and make your voice heard! The poll will be up for a while until it's time to make a decision. Additionally, if anyone well-versed in SFX and shaders can assist, we would be extremely grateful for your help.

Thank you for following the development of Knights of the Force 2.1, and may the Force be with you.

krkarr likes this

Linken, if people vote to get rid of it, will you at least release it as a separate addon for those like me that still want it? Even though it's not perfect in the problems you showed (nothing ever is nor will ever be perfect), I still think it would be a great addon for others using SFX RGB sabers. Also since he created JKA Enhanced....@@redsaurus? Any input?

Linken, if people vote to get rid of it, will you at least release it as a separate addon for those like me that still want it? Even though it's not perfect in the problems you showed (nothing ever is nor will ever be perfect), I still think it would be a great addon for others using SFX RGB sabers. Also since he created JKA Enhanced....@@redsaurus? Any input?

Can't always please everyone unfortunately. The last thing I want to do is remove it, but I also understand it'll break immersion for some people. The only necessary blade for us to add in was Kylo Ren's unstable red, we added in RGB for player options, I wanted to add in the black lightsaber as a gift for the TFU fans. No NPC uses the black lightsaber and would only be available for players. If enough people comment, I am willing to compromise and simply remove the black lightsaber from Multiplayer, but leave it in Single Player (maybe as a secret easter egg?).

TicNoel501 and TheWhitePhoenix like this

We don't want to release a product that would make our mod look sloppy. I agree with Linken it would be a cool easter egg.

TicNoel501 and TheWhitePhoenix like this

Can't always please everyone unfortunately. The last thing I want to do is remove it, but I also understand it'll break immersion for some people. The only necessary blade for us to add in was Kylo Ren's unstable red, we added in RGB for player options, I wanted to add in the black lightsaber as a gift for the TFU fans. No NPC uses the black lightsaber and would only be available for players. If enough people comment, I am willing to compromise and simply remove the black lightsaber from Multiplayer, but leave it in Single Player (maybe as a secret easter egg?).

We don't want to release a product that would make our mod look sloppy. I agree with Linken it would be a cool easter egg.

Of course, that's the difference between you guys and Tim. You FINISH what you start. (See what I did there? ;) ) And you make sure you have something presentable. And even though I would LOVE to have the Black Saber be available for NPCs to use, as well as Kylo Ren's unstable saber blade to be used by NPCs too, what can be done and what has been done already is absolutely phenomenal and as said, you can't please everyone, though I'm sure you appreciate the feedback which also helps motivate you guys. ^_^

Of course, that's the difference between you guys and Tim. You FINISH what you start. (See what I did there? ;) ) And you make sure you have something presentable. And even though I would LOVE to have the Black Saber be available for NPCs to use, as well as Kylo Ren's unstable saber blade to be used by NPCs too, what can be done and what has been done already is absolutely phenomenal and as said, you can't please everyone, though I'm sure you appreciate the feedback which also helps motivate you guys. ^_^

Kylo Ren has already been given the unstable red permanently, no need to worry! =)

When it comes to giving the npcs their saber blades, we're going for canonical, I know it's very popular to TFU fans to give Starkiller the black lightsaber, but despite all of that, I have to give Starkiller either red or blue since that's what he has. The only NPC that could use the black lightsaber is Pre Vizsla, but the problem with that is that it's also pointed, very unlike any other lightsaber in canon/legends.

Kylo Ren has already been given the unstable red permanently, no need to worry! =)

When it comes to giving the npcs their saber blades, we're going for canonical, I know it's very popular to TFU fans to give Starkiller the black lightsaber, but despite all of that, I have to give Starkiller either red or blue since that's what he has. The only NPC that could use the black lightsaber is Pre Vizsla, but the problem with that is that it's also pointed, very unlike any other lightsaber in canon/legends.

So the blades are gonna be scripted, then? And I see from the poll, people so far want you to keep it regardless. TFU is getting some much needed love. ^_^

So the blades are gonna be scripted, then? And I see from the poll, people so far want you to keep it regardless. TFU is getting some much needed love. ^_^

Whatever the character has used in canon is what they're using. So mave windu has purple, ahsoka has her yellow-green, kylo has unstable red, etc.

Whatever the character has used in canon is what they're using. So mave windu has purple, ahsoka has her yellow-green, kylo has unstable red, etc.

Okay, I think I understand what you mean. What I'm curious about is custom NPCs for machinima for example. Say, if I wanted to give someone an unstable blue saber or RGB saber, as well as a black saber, will that be an option or will they be stuck with RGB alone? Cause...that's what I've ultimately been asking. I apologize if I wasn't as clear as I could've been.

If you can't fix it, why not ask for help?

I did. 

Additionally, if anyone well-versed in SFX and shaders can assist, we would be extremely grateful for your help.

Does the black saber in JK:E have the same problem? It sounds like a shader issue

The effect we're using was made by @@dark_apprentice. Originally, we had the issue of the black core disappearing in the white glow, or even the white glow losing its shader after switch to SFX, so the glow effect would turn into its texture, as if a shader never existed for it.

@@Linken that is because back then I had no idea of anything and just painted the "black" with real black color, which looks good sometimes, but overall in the game it has the issue you mentioned above. However I am not sure on 100% if by any chance this might be solved if you just color it darker gray or something in those lines? I never even tried to do so myself, so I can't say it works.

@@Linken that is because back then I had no idea of anything and just painted the "black" with real black color, which looks good sometimes, but overall in the game it has the issue you mentioned above. However I am not sure on 100% if by any chance this might be solved if you just color it darker gray or something in those lines? I never even tried to do so myself, so I can't say it works.

Not a bad idea at all! Though wouldn't it technically be cheating?  ;)