Revisiting the childhood [Dolphin]

As some of you may already know, I am recently playing my most favorite (beside Jedi Knight series) games,
Rogue Squadron Trilogy: Squadron 3D, Rogue Leader, Rebel Strike – but since I never owned Nintendo GameCube, after couple of tweaks on the emulator's
settings, graphics, overclocking of the emulator (it doesn't affect the computer as you don't overclock it, but just the emulator) both games that follow the original PC Game of "Rogue Squadron 3D" are running smooth and even, managed to find over the dolphin forums some decent HD textures pack, that make the games very good even that, they are old.

Possible options, if you have of course the chance to do so, you can even make Dolphin to run and sample the textures inside of the game on a 4K or even 5K resolution as it suggests (personally I can't reach that result, as am not having that great PC for gaming, but I know many people already can afford to do so). Every PC/Laptop with less than Intel Core i3 to i7 won't be able to run the game, still much better if you have 8 or more GB of RAM and processor with higher amount than 2.00 GHz (that still works, but not that smooth unless if you overclock the emulator).

I am adding the album from Imgur that I made to share what I am enjoying now even that it's not on it's highest settings/graphics, because if I have to admit...
if there is any way to remaster those two games "Rogue Squadron 2: Rogue Leader" and "Rogue Squadron 3: Rebel Strike" and add some futures from Jedi Academy, we will have an amazing game, that is way before EA Battlefront (2015 and 2017) the original 2004 / 2005 Battlefront-s or even JKA's Movie Battles 2 

Reference of Rebel Strike (the 3-rd chapter of Rogue Squadron trilogy)

Vanilla Game:

I6DSzWI.jpg

With HD Textures pack:

KAndKZK.jpg

Full Album below

https://jkhub.org/albums/NNIga

Teancum, Jeff, Lancelot and 1 other like this

The Gamecube was a part of my childhood as well, and Rogue Squadron II was one of the first games I've played on that console. I didn't have that much of games, but the ones I had (and still have to this day) were fun as hell. And back then, the graphics were just impressive. I still remember how terrifyingly realistic the remake of Resident Evil looked.

Regarding 3D games, Dolphin is probably the greatest emulator of all time. It gives you so many options to choose from, especially the resolution. The only obvious downside is that your computer must run on steroids, or else the only thing you will see is the games' title screen - at best. The developers even managed to emulate Star Wars: The Clone Wars (from 2002), which was a difficult task. But even though emulators have advanced over the years and support many games, I still prefer to play them games on a console; not on a modern TV, but on an old 4:3 TV.  :D

Also, why did nobody ever think of creating this one for Jedi Academy?

USTdWqI.jpg

dark_apprentice and Smoo like this

Dolphin has definitely made excellent progress. One of my favourite emulators, the gamecube and wii had some awesome games, my favourites being the prime and zelda games. I also have rogue squadron II, I had III, but I traded it in for twilight princess (well worth the trade IMO).

Did you ever have issues with the sound in either Prime or Prime Echos in Dolphin? Like it being crackly? 

Did you ever have issues with the sound in either Prime or Prime Echos in Dolphin? Like it being crackly? 

Yes, when I was playing it at 30 FPS on 30-40 VPS it was total s**t, but after I managed to find the golden spot for most mission on the emulator's overclocking it was fixed. However bear in mind, that this is very personal from a PC to a PC (laptop) and some suggest over the dolphin's forums to entirely turn off the sound settings (specially for Rogue Squadron 3) in order to play it smooth. Overall this old game will require a lot of modern high end PC/Laptops to play it, only because of the emulator acting as a real game cube, that's all (maybe also the higher resolutions of the textures on HD pack, but not sure how much this is affecting the overall gaming).

@@Langerd

On the other hand here are all textures that I got from the HD Textures pack for both RS 2 and 3 (Rogue Leader & Rebel Strike), original files are in DDS, so if to use them open with Noesis or Photoshop/Gimp.

** GSWP64 = Rogue Leader (Rogue Squadron 2)

** GLRP64 = Rebel Strike (Rogue Squadron 3)

Download >  http://www.mediafire.com/file/v3osx6x3fu6ts9v/Bespin_Textures.zip

Smoo likes this

@@IrocJeff

Yes I have, I think it's mainly due to the frame stutter. However, in the last year of dolphin dev builds, the frame stuttering in the prime games has been fixed. I haven't tested it yet myself, but I'm sure the performance is not only better, but its possible the audio crackling is fixed too.

EDIT: It could also be because of HLE audio, try switching to LLE if your CPU is fast enough.

I've found this topic a while ago, might be helpful for your audio issues on Dolphin and might work with that sound patch

Also this one helped me to improve a lot my gaming performance on the emulator, but some

suggest to disable the dual core (tried it couple of times, can't really say on 100% that it works but might be a way to try on your own): https://www.reddit.com/r/DolphinEmulator/comments/3qyqkc/how_to_get_star_wars_rogue_squadron_to_work/

@@IrocJeff

Yes I have, I think it's mainly due to the frame stutter. However, in the last year of dolphin dev builds, the frame stuttering in the prime games has been fixed. I haven't tested it yet myself, but I'm sure the performance is not only better, but its possible the audio crackling is fixed too.

EDIT: It could also be because of HLE audio, try switching to LLE if your CPU is fast enough.

When i download it again i'll give it a try.