Level 15: Maw

I did, but back then I had some troubles with the Sulon Star causing (even though it was just the starboard half of the ship) the safe_malloc error. I'm pretty sure that with newer Radiant versions and / or other tricks it can be compiled properly, but I'd like to have a well-detailed Sulon Star to go with it. The skybox and clouds could use an improvement, and it needs the proper scripts for mission objectives, intro cinematic and all (as well as Maw), but other than that it's as finished as seen in the screenshots I posted some time ago. I can send the source files if you want to keep somewhere safe.

Could load the Sulon Star as an MD3, loaded by the renderer.

What was that last screenshot of a map you were working on? Where I said that we needed to redo parts of it due to GL2.

Yep, that's one solution - right now it's still an .ASE, that can be easily converted.

The screenshots were from that level (isn't that level 14 technically, anyway? I think it is - the first two levels of Nar Shaddaa, Kyle's homestead and the irrigation channels, Barons Hed, The Dark Palace, Fuel Station Launch, the three levels aboard the Sulon Star, and then The Lost Planet of the Jedi; level 15 would be The Falling Ship, and afterwards level 16 with either Sariss or Yun). The skybox, as you can see, needs an improvement - I quickly slapped together some black random shapes on that base skybox along with a lighter sky color, but the result is more comical than impressive, at least in my opinion. The clouds just need a minor adjustment, so that they don't reach the ground, but realistically flow over the sky without compenetrating with the larger rocks.

Aside from all that the level is basically done, the elevator and the doors work fine and I put in several sounds - the wind blowing sound on the outside, a more "technical" sound inside the tower and several humming sounds near the hatches.

shot0783.jpg

shot0784.jpg

shot0785.jpg

shot0786.jpg

shot0787.jpg

shot0788.jpg

shot0789.jpg

shot0791.jpg

shot0792.jpg

shot0793.jpg

shot0795.jpg

shot0796.jpg

Say what you will, but it looks absolutely awesome during sunset (an old test with a different lighting):

shot0780.jpg

A bit off-topic, but I also experimented in the past with the Valley of the Jedi (though it doesn't closely resemble the original seen in the cutscenes - I sorta did that impulsively):

shot0968.jpg

Psyk0Sith, DT85 and SomaZ like this

Honestly, both look superb. With hardly any modellers, I think it's best to just use brushwork instead of converting everything to models. Sure, it won't look as good as a model (normals, no hard edges, etc) but PBR textures will still make it look pretty decent. Can you please send me your .map file for Maw? I'll do up the scripts and give the VIS a check. I had started on this level, and VIS took a long time. Not exactly sure what more can be done for such a large, open level such as this.

P.S

I'm currently working on 21ajerec, trying to get all the small levels done and out of the way.

• 2 weeks later...