Botting help?

Go to solution Solved by J450N,

I know most of you's don't like bots, to play with bots, or anything else having to do with bots (other than removing them), but still, if you know how to help me, it'll be appreciated.

So, I got Botmaker, and made some bots with it in the past. Everything worked well. Recently, one of my uploaded characters (npc and bot) went missing from the server (some glitch or something), so I had to recreate it, because I removed the original from my computer the last time I deleted JA. So I created the bot with Botmaker, added the textures, sounds, and all that good stuff. But once I got to test it, I ran into a bunch of issues, namely:

1) I gave the bot a 'kyle' saber, with an orange blade, but for some reason, he wields the saber without a blade (or with an 'invisible' blade, if you will). Same happens with other colors, though I haven't checked it this happens with blue. The saber could be hardwired to be blue, but I doubt it, since the previous rendition of this bot worked with an orange blade, and I think there were at least two more bots that also used a 'kyle' saber (I could be wrong though).

2) I gave him a lightside alignment, and an aggressive behavior, but when I test the guy out, he uses Lightning and Rage, and always runs away when I approach him. Not to mention he's weaker than most other bots (even the vanilla ones). Last time I tested him, he would only use the blaster pistol and force push.

3) I gave him several lines of dialogue, and set his chatability to 3, but he doesn't talk at all - AT ALL(!!!).

Anyone have any ideas? :mellow:

• Solution

Hello there :)

i had the same problem!

open your . bot file in text edit and check that you have told the personality to point at the correct JKB file, Even the slightest spelling mistake can ruin it. Im sure you probably already knew this but i had the same issue as you and just by correcting a slight spelling mistake solved this issue for me. i hope this helped you

the_raven, eezstreet, Cerez and 2 others like this

Hello there :)

i had the same problem!

open your . bot file in text edit and check that you have told the personality to point at the correct JKB file, Even the slightest spelling mistake can ruin it. Im sure you probably already knew this but i had the same issue as you and just by correcting a slight spelling mistake solved this issue for me. i hope this helped you

aye, thank you :)

AngelModder and ooeJack like this

I did write up some of this information (in reverse) in a tutorial on bot relationships:

The first contains the user readable "name" of the character's BOT file (found in the "scripts" folder). This value can contain spaces, and it doesn't need to be wrapped in quotation marks in the JKB file like it is in the BOT file, but it must match what is in the user readable "name" setting of the other character's BOT file for it to work.

Have a look here: https://jkhub.org/tutorials/article/199-emotional-attachments-in-bots/

It will help you understand an section of the JKB files that is rarely mentioned/discussed, as well as serve as somewhat of a general introduction into how the connection between BOT and JKB files works.

J450N and the_raven like this

As this is kind of about bots,i was wondering has anyone managed to stop the silly team colour saber restriction.What i mean is,if you are on red team you have to have a red saber and if you are on blue team you have to have a blue saber.is there any way of removing that crappy restriction ? for team player colours ive replaced every blue and red model to a default model (standard colour). This would be a huge help if someone could tell me how to get rid of this.

I am on mac so this is always more of a ballache

As this is kind of about bots,i was wondering has anyone managed to stop the silly team colour saber restriction.What i mean is,if you are on red team you have to have a red saber and if you are on blue team you have to have a blue saber.is there any way of removing that crappy restriction ? for team player colours ive replaced every blue and red model to a default model (standard colour). This would be a huge help if someone could tell me how to get rid of this.

I am on mac so this is always more of a ballache

JA+ and JA++ have an option for letting bots keep their original saber color(s) in TFFA, and these mods come available for mac (or linux, there's certainly a difference, I'm just not sure what it is)

other than that, I'd suggest digging around the shaders or something

J450N likes this

I may be wrong, but I do believe this is a code-side restriction. Your options are to:

A. Download the OpenJK source, edit and compile it to your liking. (You can do this on a Mac as well, you just need to install CMake.)

B. Use a mod, as @the_raven has suggested, that already has this code tinkered with.

C. Throw a tantrum and jump around like a lunatic, maybe even smash your computer, though I can't guarantee this will produce the desired result.

Merek, J450N and the_raven like this

hey guys thanks for the replies ! i was wondering what is JA+ ? I know that may be a obvious question haha.Ive done so much modding to my current JKA game it would be a shame to start over. Ive almost finished making the New battle front HUD which i will upload soon.

hey guys thanks for the replies ! i was wondering what is JA+ ? I know that may be a obvious question haha.Ive done so much modding to my current JKA game it would be a shame to start over. Ive almost finished making the New battle front HUD which i will upload soon.

Um, I can't find JA+ anywhere on the forum anymore (not even in discontinued mods for some reason :huh:), but to put it simply, it was a MP-oriented mod that added a whole bunch of cool features like rgb saber-blades, better camera, smarter(?) bots, and a lot of other things I don't know or remember. It's been discontinued in favor of JA++, which has a sub-forum here.