The Order Academy Ruins UPDATED

Theyre not - the main difference is that a target_position/info_notnull remains ingame as an entity after compile wheras info_null and the like are removed at compile time and simply serve to give the engine an exact set of co-ordinates. Go with info_null wherever you can to save entities

Interesting. I think radiant says that they are the same. I always thought it was odd that something called null and not_null were the same xD

Interesting. I think radiant says that they are the same. I always thought it was odd that something called null and not_null were the same xD

From mp_entities.def.:

info_null

Used as a positional target for calculations in the utilities (spotlights, etc), but removed during gameplay.

info_notnull

Used as a positional target for in-game calculation, like jumppad targets.

Target_position does the same thing.

So yeah what Szico said. :)

I've made a lot of progress on this map. A lot of new rooms, some re-dos, and some general improvements. I've tried to implement as many suggestions that I got as I could, and keep them coming! A lot of the observations that were made earlier in this thread were incredibly good, stuff I never would have thought of, so keep them coming as you look at these screenshots! No matter how big or small the suggestion, please tell me. I want this to be a very high quality map, and to do that I need more than just my own eyes.

ebHcal.jpg

Here's the chasm as it stands. There's a lot of glitches because I thickened the walls of the hallways (big improvement, thank you @@MUG) so the angle is weird. There's another broken hallway below the one in the foreground, and one behind the camera.

s2xbLl.jpg

This room is the new platform dueling room. Someone made the observation that the room did not make sense because it did not appear to have a purpose before it got ruined. I rebuilt the room so it was one type of dueling room, and then the ceiling collapsed causing it to become a different kind of room. The windows, which in the test version were temporary, now look down into a much larger room. Excuse the lighting, it needs to be fixed.

jzvBBl.jpg

Look familiar? Its the academy ceremony room from the game! I ported it over and changed the textures cause I really liked the idea of being able to look down into the ceremony hall from other rooms. I chose to port it over because its a room I have many fond memories of, and one that The Order uses regularly for ceremonies.

DHsbnl.jpg

Here's the view looking up at those two rooms. The top is the platform room, the bottom one is this jar room.

Oe7EIl.jpg

This was a fun room to build, the idea is that the black/shiny parts of the map are protected by the force and have not decayed. These columns and the statues are what power the force field around the jar that is raised and lowered by using the columns. A special thanks to @@Kaela for her work in designing the columns and the statue bases.

DL91Ul.jpg

This next room is the council room. The first part is the anteroom, it's built based on the Nero vs Seraph fight from the Matrix Reloaded. The idea is that a single person can sit at the head of the table and defend the council doors. There are going to be some kind of locking mechanisms, but I haven't quite figured it out yet. I'm thinking a button on the seat that closes both doors, locking the combatants inside.

KiQOUl.jpg

And here's the council room. There's a lot of anti-centralism, anti-power, and pro-people symbolism. The player enters above the council, and has to walk down the stairs to met it, as opposed to the more normal vice-versa. In addition, the chairs are arranged into a circle and walking into the circle is not confrontation, it's becoming part of a whole. There's also no center chair, so no natural point of power. Finally, above the chairs is a sword hanging from a chain, the Sword of Damocles.

41jbxl.jpg

This is the jump test room, I call it the old entry hall, and like the council room it's got a lot of symbolism going on. It's a large classic entry hallway where the entrance is across a large span of space to a raised entrance to the academy, much like GCX. Rooms like these are designed to show that the power is in the academy and that the visitor is entering into their space. By showing opulence and wealth, you show your power. Except that in this case, it's shattered and broken, and no longer used as the main entrance. Meaning, academies and clans should not think that way.

oQEi0l.jpg

Last, but not least, the water damaged room. I was kind of against it at first, but then I got over it and it looks quite awesome. This room is important to me because I really like the water room in GCX, which holds a special place in my heart because I was invited into my first clan in JK2 in the water room of JediCouncilGC.

I have lots of lighting problems, I'm slowly adding in light sources, and I understand that they are important. They just haven't happened yet =).

Let me know your suggestions and thoughts!

Delta_135 and MUG like this
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
L1BVbl.jpg

Here are the properties for the fx_runner:

angle -1

classname fx_runner

fxFile effects/world/waterfall.efx

Origin -1260 68 692

target water (target_null's targetname is water)

I'm actually rather intrigued by this effect. According to my assets files, there's only an effects/world/waterfall3.efx, which looks like  different (at least scaled up version) compared to this effect. It this a default or custom one? 

Also, I like the first few screenshots :)

edit: we talked on xfire. The waterfall effect is from one of the bonus maps. The solution to your issue is probably changing some things about the angle/velocity in effectsed, as we discussed. I'm sure fellow mappers on here can answer any questions you might have after attempting the tutorial on nab's website