A question about Model Shaders.

Go to solution Solved by TheWhitePhoenix,

I'm on vacation currently with family, but I've got enough time to come back to the old Hub and ask something. Is it possible to make shaders for a renamed model? Say you take @dark_apprentice's Unmasked Kylo Ren, but you rename the model file something like say "Dash Lightrider". The shaders no longer work, as they are linked to the model file by it's original name. Do I have to make new shaders entirely for the renamed model file, or can I transfer the original shaders after some tweaking? 

I'm on vacation currently with family, but I've got enough time to come back to the old Hub and ask something. Is it possible to make shaders for a renamed model? Say you take @dark_apprentice's Unmasked Kylo Ren, but you rename the model file something like say "Dash Lightrider". The shaders no longer work, as they are linked to the model file by it's original name. Do I have to make new shaders entirely for the renamed model file, or can I transfer the original shaders after some tweaking? 

You could edit the .skin files of the new model so that they are set to the new model folder, but in that case you'd have to rewrite the shaders so that they also refer to the right folder. Alternatively you could keep the textures in the original folder, have the .skin files refer to those textures and thus eliminate the necessity to write more shader code.

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

You could edit the .skin files of the new model so that they are set to the new model folder, but in that case you'd have to rewrite the shaders so that they also refer to the right folder. Alternatively you could keep the textures in the original folder, have the .skin files refer to those textures and thus eliminate the necessity to write more shader code.

So two choices, one harder one easier. Nice. :) If I wanted to rewrite the shaders, is that hard or is it moderate?

All you do is open the .SHADER file in notepad/notepad++ and change the file directory from "models/players/Kylo Ren/" to "models/players/Dash Lightrider/" for each instance that it appears in the file, and save to then re-add to the .PK3 file and save again.

.SHADER files can be edited in the same way as .SKIN files to accomodate for the new folder name that you have put the skin files into.

TheWhitePhoenix likes this
  • Solution

All you do is open the .SHADER file in notepad/notepad++ and change the file directory from "models/players/Kylo Ren/" to "models/players/Dash Lightrider/" for each instance that it appears in the file, and save to then re-add to the .PK3 file and save again.

.SHADER files can be edited in the same way as .SKIN files to accomodate for the new folder name that you have put the skin files into.

I didn't know that! :D That's awesome, @@Ruxith! :D Thank you so much for telling me! When I get back from vacation, I'm gonna get to work on the shaders right away. :D

Ruxith likes this