Tessellation

Today I added tessellation.

Tessellation takes the triangles of a model and converts that triangle into multiple smaller triangles and applies a rounding effect to make models and maps more detailed.

Example of what tessellation does.

control_points.jpg

Here are some screenshots of it working in Warzone.

Tessellation OFF

giQ1dCk.jpg

Tessellation ON (exagerated a bit to make it obvious)

CNnnJdf.jpg

SomaZ, Stoiss, Onysfx and 4 others like this
  • 3 weeks later...

I seem to remember cryengine used tesselation (I might be remembering completely wrong though) to do tiny little vibrations (animations) with each sub triangle on certain surfaces to make it move more realistically as well.  eg: grass sways a bit.  Would something like that work in conjunction with this?

JKG Developer

I seem to remember cryengine used tesselation (I might be remembering completely wrong though) to do tiny little vibrations (animations) with each sub triangle on certain surfaces to make it move more realistically as well.  eg: grass sways a bit.  Would something like that work in conjunction with this?

It could be used for stuff like that, but adding extra triangles to grass would be a pretty bad FPS hit (due to there being so many instances on screen).

They used it for an example for the ocean waves based on your distance to the water patch. The nearer you got, the more tesselated the water patch was. Then, the vertecies got pushed up and down by height maps. Gras didn't take advantage of it as far as i know.

Futuza likes this

Very nice. You allready implemented the use of height maps? Does the iterations scale with distance? Right now it looks like a turbosmooth modifier from 3dsmax for warzone. Tell us more pls. :D

This is the PN triangles method of tessellation. I plan to add heightmap based tessellation for models later, if any modelers want it.

SomaZ likes this

They used it for an example for the ocean waves based on your distance to the water patch. The nearer you got, the more tesselated the water patch was. Then, the vertecies got pushed up and down by height maps. Gras didn't take advantage of it as far as i know.

The current method uses distance for the number of splits on a triangle.

SomaZ likes this