I cannot open the console? what? latest openjk linux

D.a.r.t.h

Hey all. So today I installed jka on linux (Linux mint 17.3) with playonlinux and had it configure the game with Wine version 1.9.3. Everything appeared to run smooth, I tried singleplayer and it ran fine. I did not actually install the linux version of openjk, I installed the Windows version, extracted it to the playonlinux virtual Windows drive just like you would do on Windows. Launching the game vanilla made it lock up, but it worked with openjk.

But when I tried multiplayer the console wouldn't open in the main menu (I didn't try the console in singleplayer. I also re-bought the game from GOG.com because the game wouldn't install from my disks.

Can anyone help me? Really wanna get this game on linux.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 months later...

I downloaded the last version of OpenJK (Windows, 2016-04-13) and I can not open the console.

There were no problems with the version of January 2016.

I have a french Azerty Keyboard : http://www.apprendre-informatique.com/uploads/210_azerty.jpg with Windows 10.

With jamp.exe and older OpenJK versions, the default key to open the console was the little 2 ( ² ) on the top left.

Now, this key does nothing.

If I go to openjk.cfg and I put bind "²" "toggleconsole" but it doesn't work.

I had to bind the console on another key (for example Z). With that, I can open the console, but I can not close it again. I must use the "escape" key to close the console.

Please, fix that and bring back the toggleconsole to the ² as it worked before : thanks.

You should instead be adding that character to the cl_consoleKeys value in the openjk.cfg.  Shift+Escape is the other workaround.  Unfortunately there isn't an easy way to do so like before.  It was never implemented as such that it actually supports your keyboard specifically but the 0x29 scancode allegedly represents whatever key is there regardless of international from what I was told and this does not get handled well in SDL which deals with video, window manager, sound and inputs in a cross-platform manner.

The question is "why it worked before (with SDL) and not now anymore ?"

As french users, we already have to deal with the non-working ^ character (ê, î, ô, ...) in Openjk but we can play without.

However, the toggle console is something very important. I tried putting bind "0x29" "toggleconsole" but it doesnot work.

I tried seta cl_consoleKeys "~ ` 0x7e 0x60 0x29" but it doesnot work. What should I write ?

Thanks for helping

It worked before SDL because windows has a generic 0x29 check and SDL does not.  We may have a way to fix it later but not right now.

Those characters work just fine O.o

And I did not say bind 0x29 toggleconsole I told you exactly to add it to the cl_consoleKeys cvar string.  Try pasting the actual character 2 that you used instead of 0x29.

This question has been added to the Frequently Asked Questions OP.

It worked before SDL because windows has a generic 0x29 check and SDL does not.  We may have a way to fix it later but not right now.

As far I know, the OpenJK versions from January 2016 and before had already SDL, didn't they ?

And the key worked perfectly.

And I did not say bind 0x29 toggleconsole I told you exactly to add it to the cl_consoleKeys cvar string.  Try pasting the actual character 2 that you used instead of 0x29.

I tried seta cl_consoleKeys "~ ` 0x7e 0x60 ²" and it didnot work.

Shift+Escape is the other workaround.

Oh, I didnot read that. I tested and shift+esc works perfectly. Thanks, we must just inform other players that the console key has been modified :winkthumb:

I did it : the console displayed :

+ Scancode: 0x35(`) Sym: 0xb2(²) KMOD_NUM Q:0x00(0x00)
  Scancode: 0x35(`) Sym: 0xb2(²) KMOD_NUM Q:0x00(0x00)

I tested  :

seta cl_consoleKeys "~ ` 0x7e 0x60 0x35" => Doesn't work

seta cl_consoleKeys "~ ` 0x7e 0x60 0xb2" => It WORKS !!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So can you just add 0xb2 to the default value of cl_consoleKeys in OpenJK ?

If you can solve a problem now, why leave it till later when people have most likely lost faith/interest in something because they were made to wait for a most likely simple fix that could have been done there and then?

MB2 Beta Tester / MB2 FA Assistant Dev

If you can solve a problem now, why leave it till later when people have most likely lost faith/interest in something because they were made to wait for a most likely simple fix that could have been done there and then?

Why would people lose interest simply because they have to use SHIFT+ESC to open the console? This is silly.

But yes, it's probably a good thing to change it.

Why would people lose interest simply because they have to use SHIFT+ESC to open the console? This is silly.

But yes, it's probably a good thing to change it.

Beyond that the key binding can be changed, so I have trouble myself understanding why it's such a big issue. Changing the cfg file takes like 3 minutes...

JKG Developer