Problem with Skyboxes

Go to solution Solved by mrwonko,

Hey guys. Recently I tried to start creating own maps.
I encountered some difficulties. My first Problem is that I can't load any Skyboxes.
Right now I'm using Radiant 1.5 and if I open up the Texture Window there are only the Sky-Textures but no Skyboxes.
To solve my problem i tried to look up if something went wrong during the unpacking Process of the Assets. So i looked up my Assets with the Archive Viewer of 7zip, but there are no Skyboxes only the Texture files.
For instance it looks for me like this:
yavin - Shader image Missing
yavin bk (is there)
yavin dn (")
yavin ft (")
yavin lf (")
yavin_nodraws - Shader image Missing
...seems Strange that i have all the normal Textures but not the Skyboxes.
In some other categories like "common" there are also some Files missing but not all.

My second Problem is that I can't find my saved Maps. I can Safe them, I can open them, but under the Path where they should be safed there are no ".map" Files. So I'm wondering how I should get my Maps to work.

If you work in Windows 7 or so, then you have to tick "Run this program as Administrator".

In some cases even this doesn't help, and interestingly Radiant 1.4. wouldn't save maps even after that. In this case option Save As works only, so you'll have to find a *.map file and save (save as) it then.

If there are problems with shaders, then it can be related to the fact, that Radiant might be trying to see textures from disc C, while your game in on disc F.

Skyboxes can be loaded though Skies folder, while the textures of the skies can be in any folder, not skies necessarily.

What about other textures and shaders? Do other yavin textures work? Desert, h_evil, imp detention, taspir?

If you work in Windows 7 or so, then you have to tick "Run this program as Administrator".

In some cases even this doesn't help, and interestingly Radiant 1.4. wouldn't save maps even after that. In this case option Save As works only, so you'll have to find a *.map file and save (save as) it then.

If there are problems with shaders, then it can be related to the fact, that Radiant might be trying to see textures from disc C, while your game in on disc F.

Skyboxes can be loaded though Skies folder, while the textures of the skies can be in any folder, not skies necessarily.

What about other textures and shaders? Do other yavin textures work? Desert, h_evil, imp detention, taspir?

Okay now i started it as Admin and now I can see Maps in the Maps folder, but somehow all Maps I created not in Admin mode disappeared and can't be loaded anymore. xD

But Thx now i can see my Map-Files. ;)

Well I have Jedi Academy on disc C, because its my only disc i have. So my path looks like this "C:/Program Files (x86)/LucasArts/Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy/GameData/"

Thats also exactly my Path i have in the "Path Settings".

Before i couldnt load any Texture because it tried to take the files from "Program Files" not "Program Files(x86)" but after I changed it i could load almost all Textures. Just a few like the Skyboxes are missing.

Other Yavin textures work. Most Desert, all h_evil, most imp detention and almost all Taspir textures work.

It just seems like only Skyboxes, Lights, Caulks, Glass, Water etc. is missing but all the normal Textures/Files are there... :o

Yes, saving in 1.4 is broken, it has been fixed in 1.6..

If you have textures but no shaders, your radiant was not probably installed correctly. If you install it to the wrong folder and then change the settings, the shaders will probably still be in the wrong folder.

@@Galahad89912

You can't see your maps outside of Radiant, because they were created using a Radiant without "Admin" options ticked prior. I never found a way of making such files appear again for seeing outside of respective program. Surely this isn't just a problem of the map editor, as I encountered such a thing with many other programs too, be it md3viewer, Behaved or other non-JK related ones.

Creating new map files from scratch is probably the only option here.

Before i couldnt load any Texture because it tried to take the files from "Program Files" not "Program Files(x86)" but after I changed it i could load almost all Textures. Just a few like the Skyboxes are missing.

Other Yavin textures work. Most Desert, all h_evil, most imp detention and almost all Taspir textures work.

It just seems like only Skyboxes, Lights, Caulks, Glass, Water etc. is missing but all the normal Textures/Files are there... :o

Some shaders and textures should be missing: some of them come from JK:Jedi Outcast and aren't supposed to be shown correctly (they aren't used in JA, but simply present in game archives), some materials were made specifically for Jedi Academy, but for some reasons are omitted anywhere in the game. It includes actually dozens of textures, including various fogs, some skies, even some models!

If there was a problem with paths for Radiant, then see if the Radiant files were installed properly. When this map editor is installed, it also adds a few files to the JA - GameData/base folder, including some pk3, which include the above mentioned shaders for caulk, origin, solid, etc. System textures, as people call them.

There's a German tutorial describing it: http://mrwonko.de/tutorials/darth-arth/2004/installation-1.4.html I'm not sure how applicable it is to 1.6 though.

So I use 1.5. But thx for the link. I just downloaded and installed Radiant 1.4 and now if I open up Radiant 1.5 I can also use the Skyboxes. When I installed Radiant 1.5 I had no choice to chose my JKA path (if i remember correctly). I just could chose the direction of my JKA folders after the installation in my preferences. So propably Radiant 1.5 didnt install some of the missing Files.

However now I have these files thanks to the Radiant 1.4 installation.

So Thx mrwonko and NumberWan ;)

@@Galahad89912

You can't see your maps outside of Radiant, because they were created using a Radiant without "Admin" options ticked prior. I never found a way of making such files appear again for seeing outside of respective program. Surely this isn't just a problem of the map editor, as I encountered such a thing with many other programs too, be it md3viewer, Behaved or other non-JK related ones.

Creating new map files from scratch is probably the only option here.

Some shaders and textures should be missing: some of them come from JK:Jedi Outcast and aren't supposed to be shown correctly (they aren't used in JA, but simply present in game archives), some materials were made specifically for Jedi Academy, but for some reasons are omitted anywhere in the game. It includes actually dozens of textures, including various fogs, some skies, even some models!

If there was a problem with paths for Radiant, then see if the Radiant files were installed properly. When this map editor is installed, it also adds a few files to the JA - GameData/base folder, including some pk3, which include the above mentioned shaders for caulk, origin, solid, etc. System textures, as people call them.

They exist in the VirtualStore folder C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\..... if it was a file in Program Files and you don't see it appearing there without admin rights.

NumberWan likes this