Modding (weighting and carcass)

Hi, I'm new in this forum and I'm also an entusiast on mods of every type of games and then I found JO, back in the 2005 and 10 years after I found it again, and then I got the JKA and everything got pull together, I messed with pk3 files and such, just like I did with Quake 3.

The following is, I want to make models for JKA and so I made a model test just to test if I can do everything right.

But my problem is what to do first and this and that!  I work with 3ds Max 6, I have the XSi exporter, I have the Assimilate and the Carcass thing, gla, everything.

I got the skeleton and the automatic hierarquy but my problem is how to do the models, weight, script and such.

Just to mention, I saw all the tutorials and just found a stupid one of 3ds max and other of softimage and I'm still lost   

(I have softimage but it's still hard for me to use)

Thank you so much if you guys help me!  Thanks.

I will be releasing a new (version 1.9) dotXSI exporter for Max6 thru Max 2016 this week (the vertex normals got messed up in my v1.8 exporter)-- but you can still use it to prove out your workflow.

You will need to install the game tools (ModView)-- to view your Ghoul2 Character/Creature/Vehicle models.

There are vehicle and character tutorials on jkhub. Also check out @@Psyk0Sith 's character tutorials.

I may need to upload a 3dsMax 5/6 skeleton file to weight your mesh to. I think the one I posted in files section is only for Max8.

Woudl be quite easy to have a tutorial trough skype, would be more pratical having someone to say "GO THERE, YES, YOU CAN DO IT, WRONG TOOL, GODDAMNIT"

No one is going to hold your hand.  I suggest you watch and follow online tutorials and the tutorials from 3ds Max.  3ds Max comes with a lot of decent tutorials for a complete beginner.  Good luck.

mrwonko likes this

Oh man, i get max 5. i understand your empasse. i learn to make a model playable to JKA with these tutorials.

http://psyko3d.50webs.com/tuts.html

in specific, you need to study this:

http://psyko3d.50webs.com/tutorials/jk2_guide.htm

and

http://psyko3d.50webs.com/tutorials/skin_modifier.htm

I learned with that, so you can do too. ;)

warning: a mesh CANNOT have more of 1000 vertexes. check it with edit->properties of a mesh selected. if you get a mesh with more of 1000 vertexes, detach into 2 mesh or more, or carcass will refuse to build the GLM.

you need however an XSI exporter for 3d max and the SDK kit for JKA modding. :)

Guest KENNITHH

There is a quick and dirty way but in the end , it needs refining if you want it to be decent..

These hands were ported in 20-30 min but as you can see its not perfect (wristband, in other anims the wrist is twisted etc etc)

25611d148e.jpg

Bad one :

eb72968f46.jpg

Import your GLM you wish to replace, Import your model you want in the game (has to be rigged (=have bones/skeleton and skin weight))

Fit your model into the GLM with using Scale and Rotation as best you can, then add Skin Wrap , convert to Skin, export as XSI, Carcass it.

I'm still a big noob in this as I'm only using shortcuts to get this result, as I dont have the guts to learn the real way :P