Server Hosts

I was considering throwing some money at setting up a Hydroball server (as discussed here)

Can anyone recommend a good host? I am aware of this huge list here:

http://jkhub.org/lin...rver-providers/

but have no idea which ones are decent these days. Obviously, it needs to be able to run Hydroball. (I know some hosts limit you to just base and a small selection of popular mods like japlus) Preferably, I'd like a European/UK server.

Additionally, If anyone wants to chip in and help pay for it and share ownership of the server, that's cool with me.

Seems like you can get a 12-slotter in UK (with basic configuration) for six months for 60-something USD. Doesn't seem so bad. If you find a third person to split the costs, I could contribute.

Also, thought that I'd add that this server could be used for various other events that people feel like

HAMMERZEIT. Or I could come up with an event that would make use of my semi-secret robot Caelum NPC uh, something.

Magnavolge disabled all of my servers for having Gunslinger's Academy on them, probably because they're sponsors of MB2

ah...that's unfortunate. They were looking like my first choice. I will most likely want to run a ton of different mods, so that might be a bad move >.>

Magnavolge sucks. Don't go with them.

Magnavolge cuts down by half the default memory a JKA uses.

Command is com_hunkmegs, default is 64, when you sign up for the server, it's 32 and non-changeable. Doesn't affect your server if you don't run Atlantica or something like 32 players on it but :| it's just short-changing people. Hypernia is another one. I asked 'em before why and they said that's how they offer cheap pricing.

Idk if this is already done (i just registered) but it would be rad to have a review on hosts.

Thanks for the advice gents. I'm almost certainly going to go ahead and get a server shortly. Anyone interested in sharing ownership? The idea is to use it for assorted events such as Hydroball, tffas, tournaments and whatever else people can come up with, for the jkhub community. If anyone wants to help pay for it we can get a bigger/better server (and keep it running longer) Obviously, I will give full CP access and all that to anyone who helps fund it, and they can do what they want with it most of the time seeing as I wont be hosting events 24/7.

Any help funding it would be awesome, even if its only a small amount.

it did work for a few of my servers but at odd percentages. Some old JKA sites also advise com_hunkmegs 128 for incredibly huge maps.

Com_hunkmegs is literally not used by the game though. The code creates the cvar, and then it is never again used or mentioned anywhere.

It's been mentioned above but DON'T GO FOR MAGNAVOLGE. They have no clue what they are doing, they have a habit of losing client data or terminating and clearing accounts without warning if they think your mod is "malicious".

They removed all the servers that were running the Gungslinger's Academy mod (4 in total), for spaghetti monster knows why. They have no form of DoS protection at all, and if your server IS being DoS'd, they'll be sure to quickly abort it from the network.

Oh and yeah the com_hunkmegs cvar doesn't exist in JKA, and is never referenced. JKA uses a dynamic memory pool or something instead. (ask @ :3)

It's been mentioned above but DON'T GO FOR MAGNAVOLGE. They have no clue what they are doing, they have a habit of losing client data or terminating and clearing accounts without warning if they think your mod is "malicious".

They removed all the servers that were running the Gungslinger's Academy mod (4 in total), for spaghetti monster knows why. They have no form of DoS protection at all, and if your server IS being DoS'd, they'll be sure to quickly abort it from the network.

Oh and yeah the com_hunkmegs cvar doesn't exist in JKA, and is never referenced. JKA uses a dynamic memory pool or something instead. (ask @ :3)

I also forgot to mention: they accused my mod of causing DDoS problems in MB2 and somehow merged my account into the one with Joe's Makermod (or the IPs were getting all sorts of f-ed up). In general, they're awful. I'll be sure to put up a review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuwaD8Z7F7A

Moved to JK General Discussions instead of tech support. :P

BUT IT IS TECH SUPPORT AJDGFNFD BFBFBIJFDM GHM FAFP;SOIEF SD;/FAJENHAS;DNFW;EANSDFN 'EI'OAU[sDEJKNFMSAE['OPHN D@sePFKMA SKFSENOUSJEKESP[FUNSMF,JP;EE,IFESLAJFODF,EIJEPL;ENAEJME,IUAEF;NM,;AS[iPEOKJSADJBNLS KAIJBNPIOJLGBNA0SJAHGKIOLJNOP[i;PMN[LKJOLHNC N;LKPIJ SKJ;PLHNKD; LSJE SLKDKAJWKLPD ;SDSBJL'

Just to confirm what everyone else has already said about JAWA using LPGS... they're by far the best we've used. Fair prices, brilliant support and scarily stable servers XD

They drain the life-force from everyone on the server in order to power the servers, that said, the more fun you have, the more stable it is.