[SP] Scaling The Player?

MagSul
Go to solution Solved by Asgarath83,

Hey, guys!

Straight forward: If I wanted to do a level featuring a character that's a little shorter than 100% scale, how would I go about it?

Looking in the newgame.menu file, I see that there're bits and pieces like this:

setcvar snd "jaden_fmle"

setcvar g_char_model "padawan"

setcvar sex "f"

Would it be much the same? If so, what do I need to write?

Regards!

I'm fairly sure it's possible somehow; if you change the playermodel to a scaled NPC via console, you also get its scale. (However if I remember correctly this leads to issues when saving/loading.)

I suppose in that instance there may be a way to script that command upon spawning (if a passer-by knows what I'd need to do with that, some guidance would be appreciated!)

If this method is going to interfere with the ability to save and load the game though, that could be a problem. An alternative without that kind of risk would be more ideal. Good suggestion, mrwonko!

• Solution

I'm fairly sure it's possible somehow; if you change the playermodel to a scaled NPC via console, you also get its scale. (However if I remember correctly this leads to issues when saving/loading.)

Yes, pretty easy @@MagSul  add the following line into the cvar option of the button that activate the level when clicked, into the previous menu that start the level: 

playermodel tiny

wait 10

map "namelevel"

and make an NPC file called tiny when the playermodel is "playermodel player" :) with a scale 90 or any value you desire. :D you want to make the tales of a giant jedi or a little ant? :)

Yes, pretty easy @@MagSul  add the following line into the cvar option of the button that activate the level when clicked, into the previous menu that start the level: 

playermodel tiny

wait 10

map "namelevel"

and make an NPC file called tiny when the playermodel is "playermodel player" :) with a scale 90 or any value you desire. :D you want to make the tales of a giant jedi or a little ant? :)

Thanks, Asgarath! I'll give this a go and I'll let you know how it pans out.

No giants or ants, I'm afraid! I just thought that my twi'lek padawan looked a bit big when stood in front of Kyle, Jaden and Rosh. It also just bugs me that every character in Jedi Academy's campaign is the same height! It's time to fix that. >:]

There's SET_PLAYERMODEL if you want to script it, but that too suffers from the load/save issues if memory servers... Maybe it's fixed by placing the NPC you use as a model in the level somewhere (inaccessible) so it always gets loaded?

If Asgarath's suggestion doesn't work, this will be my next attempt. Thank you, mrwonko!

Asgarath83 likes this

Thanks, Asgarath! I'll give this a go and I'll let you know how it pans out.

No giants or ants, I'm afraid! I just thought that my twi'lek padawan looked a bit big when stood in front of Kyle, Jaden and Rosh. It also just bugs me that every character in Jedi Academy's campaign is the same height! It's time to fix that. >:]

If Asgarath's suggestion doesn't work, this will be my next attempt. Thank you, mrwonko!

Ah yes, i understood, i maked a level of my mod with monster of different scales (and power and status, more little, more weak, more big, more stronger XD ) with spawnscript and massive scripting. it was too funny. :D

try this as start button code of the level by a menu: 

itemDef
        {
            name               buttonname
            type                ITEM_TYPE_BUTTON
            rect                394 440 200 24
            text                "Buttontext"
            font                2
            forecolor            1 1 1 1
            textscale            .7
            textalign            ITEM_ALIGN_RIGHT
            textalignx            200
            textaligny            -1
            visible            1
            mouseEnter
            {
            }
            mouseExit
            {
            }
            action
            {
                uiScript                "characterchanged"
                uiScript        "resetcharacterlistboxes"
                setcvar         g_char_model "Tiny"
                setcvar         g_char_skin_head "head_a1"
                setcvar         g_char_skin_torso "torso_a1"
                setcvar         g_char_skin_legs "lower_a1"
                setcvar         g_char_color_red "255"
                setcvar         g_char_color_green "255"
                setcvar         g_char_color_blue "255"                
                setcvar            sex "f"
                setcvar            g_saber "(the saber of the twilek jedi name)"
                setcvar            g_saber_color "(the sabercolor of your twilek"
                snd                   "Name of sound/chars/twileksoundfolder: example: aayla, alora, asajj, etc. "
                uiScript         "updatecharcvars"
                close            all
                uiScript        startmap mapname
                exec                  "helpusobi 1"
                exec                  "wait 30"
                exec                 "playermodel Tiny"
            }
        }

that's should avoid also the savegame scaling\ character issue told by mrwonko ;)

I added "playermodel shortnpc.npc" to my gamestart.cfg (which previously otherwise only fired "map yavin3") This scaled the twi'lek padawan appropriately and didn't interfere with saving or loading the game. I did notice that this didn't affect the player during cutscenes, though! That one may have to be a scripting job.

Thanks for the help, guys!

Asgarath83 likes this