Adding a model to an already made map - is it possible?

Perhaps, but not that easily. You'll have to convert them into .md3 models, and that might be a problem, because they have a size limit. Also, base JA doesn't allow models that have more than 1000 vertex per mesh, for an absolute maximum of 32 meshes per model (if I remember correctly). And even if you were to successfully convert them, you'd have to put them into the map through Entity Modding, and adjust the scale properly. And even then, most likely the models will be fully lit, and won't be solid - perhaps they might be with the q3map_clipmodel line in the texture shader, but that's only a wild chance.

In the end, it might not be worth the price.

perhaps they might be with the q3map_clipmodel line in the texture shader, but that's only a wild chance.

No, as the "q3map_" prefix implies that's a Q3Map2 setting, which only makes a difference during compilation with Q3Map2. Has no effect when entity modding.

Perhaps, but not that easily. You'll have to convert them into .md3 models, and that might be a problem, because they have a size limit. Also, base JA doesn't allow models that have more than 1000 vertex per mesh, for an absolute maximum of 32 meshes per model (if I remember correctly). And even if you were to successfully convert them, you'd have to put them into the map through Entity Modding, and adjust the scale properly. And even then, most likely the models will be fully lit, and won't be solid - perhaps they might be with the q3map_clipmodel line in the texture shader, but that's only a wild chance.

In the end, it might not be worth the price.

And what about a map that I have the source to? the complete source with all the .map files etc...

And what about a map that I have the source to? the complete source with all the .map files etc...

Convert external data in map file is pretty difficult. you need to use an old version of blender, 2.48 if i remember fine, and the map expoerter. map structure can be huge, complex and with much deformation. :\  is a way that not ever works. in every case, after, you need to retexture manually in gtk radiant all skyscrapers faces. :(

Also, you obtain a sctrutural map and time of building this are veeery long. and you need to decompile a map and to merege skyscrapes into the map you wanna edit. but in bsp decompilation you lost all light information and all texture uvmapping.

You don't need to convert it to .map, you can just convert it to .3ds, .ase, .obj or a couple of other formats that Radiant/Q3Map2 understand and place it as a misc_model. As long as you don't use md3 you don't need to worry about dimensions or vertex limits (to a degree) either. The downside of using a model is that it's non-solid, you'd need to manually place collision brushes.

Asgarath83 likes this