A Guide to Getting a KOTOR Module Into Blender for Greatest Map Recreation Accuracy

Hello gentlemen,

Through the almighty powers of importers and exporters as well as the handy dandy KOTOR Tool I am going to compile this guide to teach you how to get your very own KOTOR module into Blender so you can inspect every angle of it. I feel like this might help any KOTOR based maps people might be theorizing they want to do but can't be buggered to get the reference pictures or trying to deal with KOTOR's horrific camera angles.

Things you will need:

KOTOR TOOL

http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/280-kotor-tool/

Neverwinter .MDL Importer for Blender

http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/tool/neverblender-blender-26x-27x

Knights of the Old Republic 1 or 2 Installed

Blender 2.6 or Higher

Now before we proceed I highly recommend that you create a file directory in your Documents to house the exported modules.

Okay, opening up KOTOR Tool you should be greeted with a path setup request just simply point it towards the locations KOTOR 1/and/or KOTOR 2 are installed in. 

Now go to File -> Manage Paths and click on the 'Other Paths' tab. Under 'Import Path' direct it to wherever you want the exported modules to be housed.

You should now be looking at the hierarchy of files, you will need to expand them in this order to find the locations of the modules:

Kotor 1/TSL

+BIFs

+models.bif

+Aurora Model

Within the Aurora Model sub tree you will see a long ass list of files, in order to identify which pertain to the module you are after use this warp guide:

http://w11.zetaboards.com/KOTOR_Movies/topic/995883/1/ or http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/920601-star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-ii-the-sith/faqs/35636

Now seeing as I have KOTOR 1 installed as of present I'm going to be using a module from that as an example. Say we want the Czerka Landing Platform from Kashyyyk, the link above states that the module name of that is kas_m22aa

In the file tree of Aurora Model it'll be listed by m22aa so you need to find any file beginning with m22aa. The way KOTOR works is that it structures each section of the level in multiple parts, so in the case of the Czerka Landing Platform, there are multiple files pertaining to this. They are:

m22aa_01a.mdl

m22aa_02a.mdl

m22aa_03a.mdl

m22aa_04a.mdl

m22aa_05a.mdl

m22aa_06a.mdl

m22aa_07a.mdl

For every single file you find pertaining to your module's name you need to double click on it and make sure 'Each model in own directory' is the ONLY thing ticked and that Number of consecutive models to extract is set to 1. Next make sure your export path is pointing to your directory to house the exports. 

Click OK and it'll extract the .mdl as well as EVERY TEXTURE USED IN THE .MDL into its own folder marked by its name. Once you have done the same for every other related file then you need to go into Blender and set the mode that it renders in to TEXTURED BEFORE you do import it otherwise there'll be weird lighting issues,

Go into File -> Import -> Neverwinter .MDL then navigate to the folder that the .mdl exported itself to. In the case of our example there should be a file in the folder m22aa_01a called m22aa_01a-ascii.mdl. This is the file you want to import.

Some of the files are something only applicable in aurora i.e. positioning for light rays and creatures or a sky-globe. You want the modules that contain actual pieces of the geometery for the area you are trying to recreate. In the case of Kashyyyk Czerka Landing Platform only 01a, 02a, 03a and 04a contain pieces of the actual geometery. 

I hope you enjoyed this guide and don't hesitate to ask questions if you are stuck or require more info.

Now go out there and make some fantastic KOTOR maps for JKA!

• 3 years later...