Playing Mother and Father

Luke: "I sense a disturbance in the Force."

Kyle: "You always sense a disturbance in the Force... but yeah, I sense it, too. It could just be residual Dark Side aura from the Temple."

Luke: "Perhaps. Kyle, why don't you..."

Kyle: "...stay here and investigate? I'd love to! Why don't you take the kids back home now."

Luke: "Be careful Kyle..."

I've always wondered what exactly is happening between Kyle and Luke in this scene? And it's not even about the acting; it's in the writing itself!

1. What would make Kyle say to Luke that he's always sensing a disturbance in the Force, in this context?

2. What's up with Kyle's attitude when asked to investigate the disturbance, and why the belittling "kids" remark?

3. And then Luke's overwhelming care for Kyle's wellbeing...

Am I the only one who's getting a strange notion about these lines? I thought Luke was supposed to be in love with Mara, and Kyle with Jan. What on earth were the writers thinking when they wrote these suggestive lines between Kyle and Luke in the original JKA script?

And they said Juhani was way out there...

Its almost like they were parodying typical starwars lines.

"I sense a disturbance in the Force" <--- Kyle makes fun of it because of how often and cliche'd it is used.

The line about kids is probably just Kyle being snarky and slightly abrasive at the fact that Luke is acting like his wife.  Luke is just an overly concerned mother for his Jedi kids.

But yes indeed, what in the world were they thinking.

JKG Developer

The line about kids is probably just Kyle being snarky and slightly abrasive at the fact that Luke is acting like his wife.  Luke is just an overly concerned mother for his Jedi kids.

But yes indeed, what in the world were they thinking.

LOL! Since when did Luke turn out to be the overly protective, motherly type? :D Where did they get that idea? Because he believed in his father's good side, and in his own family?

But the way the whole thing is laid out, really makes you wonder if it's not meant to hint that way on purpose. Even Luke's movement in this scene is quite motherly. Perhaps it was meant to be a mother-father parody/joke, but to introduce the characters in this light to newcomers is still a bit... what?? After all, the story is meant to be taken seriously, to a degree at least...

Anyway, I've never really been able to get over it. Every time I start a new SP game, I get this sudden intimacy happening between Luke and Kyle, and my mind goes: what did I just witness? What's going on here??

At first I thought I had missed something personal between them from JK2, but then I played JK2, and I realised that this has nothing to do with Kyle's story after all. Now I just can't fathom what exactly was transpiring in the writers' heads when they wrote this.

Perhaps it's a combination of the bad acting/emphasis and the intended joke in the writing, but the way it comes together it still makes for one big suggestive experience. It is more defined, actually, than Jaden's and Rosh's friendship, LOL! What in the world indeed...  :rolleyes:

Futuza likes this

I'm just guessing here, because JKA is really badly written compared to JK2:

1. This is possibly referencing JK2, when <spoiler alert> Luke found out that Desann followed Kyle to the Valley of the Jedi.

2. Well, Jaden and Rosh (plus whoever else) are supposed to be teenagers from what I've gathered.

3. JKA takes place probably a year or two after JK2, and well yeah, Kyle is still very volatile. Jaden and Rosh are his first students, as mentioned in the dark side ending.

Dang it. Now I remember something. I find it odd that none of the areas in the original Jedi Academy (aside from the main hall, and bits of the hangar) in JK2 are actually seen. Would be cool if someone implemented that as a hub area.

I'm just guessing here, because JKA is really badly written compared to JK2:

1. This is possibly referencing JK2, when <spoiler alert> Luke found out that Desann followed Kyle to the Valley of the Jedi.

2. Well, Jaden and Rosh (plus whoever else) are supposed to be teenagers from what I've gathered.

3. JKA takes place probably a year or two after JK2, and well yeah, Kyle is still very volatile. Jaden and Rosh are his first students, as mentioned in the dark side ending.

Hi Eez! Thanks for your insight. Hmm...

1. A bit far-streched, but it could be, you're right. It could be a reference to the times before when Luke felt a disturbance due to the consequences of Kyle's mixed and rash actions. Since Kyle is quite the trouble-maker. That would explain a lot. I hadn't thought of it like that before.

2. That's fine, but that still doesn't explain his attitude here... which is quite snappy... They're bickering like a long-married couple, haha! :D

3. Yeah, but Kyle's been through a lot already. He doesn't really need to be watched over, like a little kid, LOL! XD And Luke was taking care of his students, so it's not really about the students' safety, either. I guess it could be a reference to Kyle's previous encounters with the dark side, but the way it's voice acted it still sounds too soft and caring... not like a casual warning at all... LOL!

I guess that's just "formally", because he also trained Mara Jade.

That's true.

And Mara had to rescue his sorry ass. :P

Dang it. Now I remember something. I find it odd that none of the areas in the original Jedi Academy (aside from the main hall, and bits of the hangar) in JK2 are actually seen. Would be cool if someone implemented that as a hub area.

Someone released a version of the whole Academy Temple map recently in their vision that's a lot more vast and logical than the JK2 Jedi Academy. I'm not sure if anyone's ever ported the JK2 map to JK3. I imagine someone would have. But it would take a lot of work getting all the scripts to work, I would think. Still, it's an interesting idea.

They're good friends, I think it's simply just..

banter

/ˈbantə/

noun

• the playful and friendly exchange of teasing remarks.

"there was much good-natured banter"

synonyms: repartee, raillery, ripostes, sallies, swordplay, quips, wisecracks, crosstalk, wordplay, ...

verb
  • exchange remarks in a good-humoured teasing way.

"the men bantered with the waitresses"

synonyms: joke, jest, pun, sally, quip, ...

Cerez and eezstreet like this

Yeah, it's just banter and Kyle trying to make light of the situation because he does say that he senses the disturbance in the Force as well. The disturbance, in this instance, was the unusual absence of dark side energy from the Massassi temple where Jaden spies on Tavion (as is later revealed by Kyle).

Luke telling Kyle to "be careful" isn't an expression of love, simply of compassion. He's a Jedi Master after all and Kyle is his friend so why would he want any harm to befall him? Disturbances in the Force rarely are accompanied by joyous occurrences.