JKA - SourceCode (SP) and Repulse - Some thoughts and suggestions?

Hi guys,

Since many of us here are willing to have the Force Repulse in JKA, and most of the players want it also for SP I got an idea last night. As I was messing around the internet and forums over here or at ModdB, I've noticed, that the good team from Movie Battles II, have released in their full version and also in the latest Patch ver. 1.0.1 the very same Repulse power. If I'm not wrong inside MB2 it's called "Destruction" (as a new force power), with it's own icon and ability. Also I've found just one video over YouTube showing this Repulse effect in the MB2 Mod.

Ok, so what can be done at the moment and where comes my idea. As we all (or at least most of us) know, LucasArts have released the JediAcademy SinglePlayer Source Code, which as I am familiar give us the chance to learn from and play with (as mentioned in the Readme file of Activision and Raven). Well in this way of thoughts, I guess, that the "Force Repulse" can be coded for JKA SP right?!

What do I actually want/ask for (?)

- I would like to know, what is needed to be done to recreate and make Force Repulse for Jedi Academy SinglePlayer, based on the one that Movie Battles II Team, have made.

*Added Force Repulse ability. Requires Jump 3, Push 3, Pull 3 and is restricted to Defence 0. Activated in melee using MB Special 1 (Saberthrow) for 60fp, Force Repulse will Super Push enemies who are too close, while acting like a normal Force Push to enemies slightly further away. Force Repulse bypasses the Force Block ability.*

- NEW Idea to improve the Repulse effect, as it is in original SW Force Unleashed-2 game:

* After the Repulse force power is recreated and based on the one from MB2, it will need the Tenloss Disruptor Rifle effect,
(when you shoot with it's laser mode it attacks targets at the molecular level, effectively disintegrating them) SO the Repulse effect, will need this effect on it's shield a.k.a. --> when player uses Force Repulse it brings the repulse force-shield, that causes the circle of stormtroppers to get blown away, BUT - when it reaches/touches the opponent's body it switches to the "Tenloss Disruptor Rifle" Effect, causing molecular disintegrating from Repulse shield.

Any suggestions, help would be appreciated and specially will be very thankful to the guys behind MovieBattles2, who have managed to make it there for MP gameplay!!

We were considering adding it for the JKA Enhanced project actually.

http://jkhub.org/forum/106-jedi-knight-enhanced/

Sounds great, but it seems to take more time and be released with the entire mod, and my idea was to bring this power as a small mod, that everyone can use if they want to.

Problem is, that after I tried to make a new .pk3 with all the files/items from the "destruction" force power from MB2 and use test it in JKA SP even with "bind F exec destruction" still not working. Also tried to replace the files and base folder from the JKA Source Code zipped file (not sure if that's how you do it or if it helps). Will need more help with this. Thanks! :)

Give it a few days, or try and implement it yourself: http://jkhub.org/tutorials/article/134-create-a-new-force-power-mp/

I've just wanted to keep it on the tops, so that people can see it easily. Thanks Futuza, I am willing also to try it myself, of course I will still need help and suggestions from people, who are much more familiar than me with the coding. Little bit stupid question - not really sure, but does this lesson you've send me requires to have the Source Code of SP, I am assuming it does, since it says "compile the engine as well as the DLLs". Also I guess it will be more of C++ or some knowledge with this?

I've just wanted to keep it on the tops, so that people can see it easily. Thanks Futuza, I am willing also to try it myself, of course I will still need help and suggestions from people, who are much more familiar than me with the coding. Little bit stupid question - not really sure, but does this lesson you've send me requires to have the Source Code of SP, I am assuming it does, since it says "compile the engine as well as the DLLs". Also I guess it will be more of C++ or some knowledge with this?

If you aren't familiar with coding JKA, you probably actually don't want to start out with the tutorial I linked you, its a bit much for a newbie.  I'd review this one first: http://jkhub.org/tutorials/article/145-compiling-openjk-win32-must-read-for-new-coders/ and then see if you can do this one: http://jkhub.org/tutorials/article/183-debugging-like-a-pro-win32/

That should give you a bit of a rudimentary understanding to be able to understand how to add new force powers, once you have that stuff down, then give the one I linked you to a go.  The source code is written in a combination of C and C++ (mostly C style stuff though, there's very few actual classes/objects).  The source code for SP is included in the openjk source code (I would just use that rather then the raw source code since openjk has a lot of bug fixes and provides you with some nice cmake stuff to set stuff up for you).

Note: What you are trying to do does require a bit of work and is a bit like reinventing the wheel since it has already been done before, you may just want to get ahold of those that have done this before, like MB2 and see if they'll just share their content with you/help you make it into a standalone mod - if you're more interested in playing with Force Repulse rather then actually making the mod.  If you're interested in making the mod then by all means, do the tutorials and learn more. :D

dark_apprentice likes this

JKG Developer

If you aren't familiar with coding JKA, you probably actually don't want to start out with the tutorial I linked you, its a bit much for a newbie.  I'd review this one first: http://jkhub.org/tutorials/article/145-compiling-openjk-win32-must-read-for-new-coders/ and then see if you can do this one: http://jkhub.org/tutorials/article/183-debugging-like-a-pro-win32/

That should give you a bit of a rudimentary understanding to be able to understand how to add new force powers, once you have that stuff down, then give the one I linked you to a go.  The source code is written in a combination of C and C++ (mostly C style stuff though, there's very few actual classes/objects).  The source code for SP is included in the openjk source code (I would just use that rather then the raw source code since openjk has a lot of bug fixes and provides you with some nice cmake stuff to set stuff up for you).

Note: What you are trying to do does require a bit of work and is a bit like reinventing the wheel since it has already been done before, you may just want to get ahold of those that have done this before, like MB2 and see if they'll just share their content with you/help you make it into a standalone mod - if you're more interested in playing with Force Repulse rather then actually making the mod.  If you're interested in making the mod then by all means, do the tutorials and learn more. :D

Well, I think you got my point very good and I was thinking to ask MB2 team if they would like to share their Repulse with me as a standalone mod. Also I do not need it for mods or making one that will have it, I just want it for personal use and mostly fun, but I assumed they wouldn't do it :( That's why I thought of asking you guys here if it's possible to re-create it or just re-use it even if it can be somehow copy/paste-ed from there into a not MB2, basic JKA Single Player game :D

Ok, long ago I've got an idea, that turns out that @@Xeby also have and reminded me for, so...

I think it's possible to create something that resembles very much the Repulse effect, by combination of the original "Force Rage" Lev. 1 Motion,
together with the primary fire explosive energy ball (from Concussion Rifle), but i need a command - for example:

bind F9 exec repulse
setforcerage 1
wait 10
+FP_RAGE (or the actual code, that will cause the character ingame, to do the force rage motion)
wait 20
unbind F9​

​somehow it could be possible, to remove the draining effect of Rage (or just to make it invisible) and replace it with the blasting effect of Concussion Rifle, so when the player uses Rage/Repulse it blasts instantly the opponents around.

However! The all 190-console-commands for SP/MP didn't gave me any help, because if I'm going to use the "exec repulse", than "setforcerage 1" I need to know how to make it load/run/use the force Rage (just by using the key that was bind to the Rage/Repulse effect, instead of the regular one). So when the game calls up the exec of Repulse, it hits all together "setforcerage 1 + *nameofcomand*" (causing to start rage), so that it can stand for few seconds/minutes or as long as we want it to be (like for example: 2 seconds - it blows up the opponents and stops).

The main thing remains: how could the blasting energy ball from Concussion Rifle go to the Force Rage, so when the player use it, it simple leads the command of Repulse/Rage, to explode (bringing it out) and make us all happy with the result?

Here is one GIF to download and see what i've come up with so far in game.

So far, I have managed with a saber file to make the repulsing effect from Concussion Rifle. The problem with this saber is, that I need to make it invisible because if I take out the .glm saber file it won't show you the effect of repulse. And still need to get it into Dark Rage animation level 1, or maybe would work with a new custom animation? 
I am wondering if it's of any use to put the Single Player SourceCode in my JKA and how to do it correctly, assuming that it's not just copy/paste or is it?!

Saber here