Problem managing pk3 files...

Hi! I have a bit of a doubt about this...

I've downloaded and installed some days ago the Texture Overhaul pack, and it worked ok.

But... yesterday I downloaded some MP maps, and there's one (ffa_yavin4) that seems that overwrites some textures, returning the old ones (for exemple, the first I noticed: in yavin 4, the ground texture, very noticiable the difference), overwrites cause both mods have inside the same file in the 'textures/yavin4' folder (well, just the same "file name", of course) : ground.jpg... and I guess that both SP and MP share some textures.

Ok, so I made the game to load the HD texture the last one (at least, after the texture from ffa_yavin4 map), adding some zzz_ in the file name, and that's all. But it doesn't work, and I don't know why. The texture file from the HD pack should "overwrite" the one form the FF_yavin4 map... or maybe I've lost some steps.

This is not really a problem, cause I just need to delete ffa_yavin4, and the SP is again with the texture overhaul, but I'm just curious why this happens, and I would like to know a little more better how this pk3 files works, cause I've downloaded a lot of mods this days and I'm going to be really busy "managing" things.

Thanks in advance!

Hi ensiform,

yeah, I see. That's what I was thinking how pk3 files works in JK, and that is what it is explained in this tutorial:

http://jkhub.org/tutorials/article/9-installing-editing-and-managing-pk3s/

Actually, both files have the same name (ground), and the same extension (jpg), and both are in the same folder estructure (textures/yavin4).

So, in my game base folder I have three "ground.jpg" files, all of them in the same estructure folder (textures/yavin):

1- The first one, of course, in the assets1.pk3 file, the vanilla one.

2- The one included in ffa-yavin4 MP map (which is the same quality that the vanilla one)

3- And finally the one included in the Texture Overhaul pack.

This files are loaded in this order because of the pk3 alphabetic order I set, so, internally, as you say, the only one that actually exists is the last one included in the Texture Overhaul pack. But, as I said, the improved texture is not loaded, and I can't see why not...

I would like to know why this happens cause I want to know if other mods or MP maps that I have installed are doing the same as ffa_yavin4 does. And I need to know this way (how pk3 files works), cause I can't check in game every texture (I don't know how looks each texture in the vanilla version and how looks each texture in the overhaul version, so I won't be able to know when it's the vanilla one and when it's the overhaul one (except some very noticiable, like the first one I noticed in yavin4's ground).

Ummm. That command tells me "file not found".... If I search a file that is in a folder "alone" (I mean not inside a pk3 file), for exemple npcsp.cfg, that command works and finds the path. But it doesn't find any file inside pk3 files (I've tried to search a couple more to be sure, no just the ground.jpg one). Are you sure that that command search inside apk files?

Well, by the way, I've installed again the ffa_yavin4 MP map to test this command, and this is really strange cause now the engine loads the HD texture, and it doesn't matter which alphabetical order I set: the game always loads the HD one. Nice, but I don't understand why this happens.

I guess there's no need to worry any more about this issue... it's strange, and that's all.

Now that we are here, let me ask you just a little question... Do you know any command for Jedi Outcast to load a player model? In Jedi Academy I use playermodel stormtrooper model_default model_default model_default, and I play as a stormtrooper, but this console command doesn' work in JO and the game tells me that playermodel is not a recognizable command. I've been searching with google, but I didn't find anything.

Anyway, thanks ensiform for the help, :winkthumb:

^^TBH sounds like you were doing something wrong.

If you're using multiplayer its /model instead of playermodel

No, it's for SP that I would like that command... Thanks for the tip about multi , anyway. And yes, about the texture issue, probably I was doing something wrong.

@@Circa,

I see, and that's what I expected. That thing you say about so many SP mods for JK2 makes sense, :winkthumb:

Thanks guys!