Continued shader discussion

Rick

Put all of the fixed shader files in a new pk3 that is like zzz-RPShaderFixes.pk3

The broken ones are no longer referenced.  Its how the quake 3 virtual filesystem has always worked.  Only one copy of a file is ever actually used when using the virtual filesystem.

This is so you can release patches and so that assets3 contents replaces assets0 contents and 1 etc if 3 has something that was in any of the previous pk3s.

--

http://slexy.org/view/s2Ft1VYYiz

Here's the current patch, but I'm not sure if only checking for a single # is the best route.

Futuza likes this

Put all of the fixed shader files in a new pk3 that is like zzz-RPShaderFixes.pk3

The broken ones are no longer referenced.  Its how the quake 3 virtual filesystem has always worked.  Only one copy of a file is ever actually used when using the virtual filesystem.

This is so you can release patches and so that assets3 contents replaces assets0 contents and 1 etc if 3 has something that was in any of the previous pk3s.

Well yeah, but he still has to go and open each pk3, open the shader file and then delete all the #####'s save it and then repack it.  That's a bit of a time commitment when you have 30 maps and don't know how to write a python script to do it for you.  At least I assume that's what he meant.

--

http://slexy.org/view/s2Ft1VYYiz

Here's the current patch, but I'm not sure if only checking for a single # is the best route.

Seems fine to me, I don't know of any reason why it wouldn't work.  I'm not sure there really is a better route, and shader's don't use #'s anyway afaik so it shouldn't cause any problems if you ignore the rest of the line like that after encountering a #.

JKG Developer

I never said HE personally had to do it =p.  Someone from the community who maybe does, could, and release the hotfix pk3.  And this was just a suggestion to avoid getting spammed in the future.

Also, in theory they could/can use #s in their shadernames though which is one of two reasons why were against making the cop-out way.  The other being someone decides to switch to *********** or ============= etc.

Staying silent like most of the RP players have, is why none of their issues got fixed faster.  FYI.

I'm going to commit and push it for now since I haven't heard of any shaders that use # directly.

I hope no one sane would try to use # in their shadername.  That's just wrong.  :(

Staying silent like most of the RP players have, is why none of their issues got fixed faster.  FYI.

Well don't scare him off, now that we have one captive to experiment with.   :P

JKG Developer

You'll have to wait until Monday unless I can get Cat to give me permissions to force build with upload again.

The new build should be uploaded now but there seems to be an issue with the rsync process which I can do nothing about until Cat returns.

@@Darth Futuza , perhaps you should upgrade your Atlantica as it was fixed like shortly after issue 271 was opened in 2013. :P

http://jkhub.org/files/file/1561-atlantica-fix/

Which map is the first map?

Alright, thanks for it guys. Will this be included in the 1.0 built? Also to note I don't really consider myself an active JKA Roleplayer but I'll loiter around and see what other concerns may pop up that could be considered as apart of the 'roleplayers' issues', especially if no one else is. While I haven't played JKA much actively (both JAMP and OpenJK) the couple of months, I support this project as I believe it could breath new life into the game, maybe even bring in new players by the time the new Star Wars movie is out and if Disney/LucasArts haven't realised by then that a game of this type would bring them huge profit.

Though on the map issues, I've seen it pop up on maps that I figure wouldn't be the type to be used for roleplaying, like say SJC's mappacks and a bunch of duel maps, like that assortment of contest maps that popped up on jk3files like Malachor and so on. Same goes for certain skins and playermodels. It's really a hit and miss because at least 50% of the modders and mappers in the last 12 years used ###, **** and so on as comments. As you guys said, it wasn't really a good thing to do but it seemed to have work so they kept on doing it.

Also sorry for the late response, I was asleep and then had some work to do.

What would be neat is if someone set up some kind of web tool that fixes all the shaders in a PK3 and spits out a fixed PK3 to download (unless someone already plugged it into the tool, and it will return a stored file)

ideally this would be either a Java applet or a Pylons application, but to my knowledge JKH hosted sites only operate with php/mysql

^^Aye, if there's a coder with some spare time I'm sure Caelum could find you a page to host such a script.

Alright, thanks for it guys. Will this be included in the 1.0 built? Also to note I don't really consider myself an active JKA Roleplayer but I'll loiter around and see what other concerns may pop up that could be considered as apart of the 'roleplayers' issues', especially if no one else is. While I haven't played JKA much actively (both JAMP and OpenJK) the couple of months, I support this project as I believe it could breath new life into the game, maybe even bring in new players by the time the new Star Wars movie is out and if Disney/LucasArts haven't realised by then that a game of this type would bring them huge profit.

Though on the map issues, I've seen it pop up on maps that I figure wouldn't be the type to be used for roleplaying, like say SJC's mappacks and a bunch of duel maps, like that assortment of contest maps that popped up on jk3files like Malachor and so on. Same goes for certain skins and playermodels. It's really a hit and miss because at least 50% of the modders and mappers in the last 12 years used ###, **** and so on as comments. As you guys said, it wasn't really a good thing to do but it seemed to have work so they kept on doing it.

Also sorry for the late response, I was asleep and then had some work to do.

There's no foreseable reason we would remove this before the stable release of openjk, so unless it has issues/someone finds a bug with it - it should be there to stay. (But that's why we need you players to help us find all the broken stuff we missed).

It isn't really a "roleplaying" map issue, we were just generalizing, but yeah I'm sure there's other maps out there that used naughty shaders. BTW if you want to correct the shader errors, just open the map up and unpack (pakscape or whatever) and then find the shader files in it and either delete all the offending ***'s or ###'s or encapsulate them within a /* */ and then repack the files back into a pk3.

JKG Developer

Done, working well now and tested it out. No issues from what I can see.  Has there been a thread in the past on how to force OpenJK to run with the standard JAMP config you have set up? Says it loads some OpenJK.cfg when I look into the console, but I looked through the entire GameData, Base and OpenJK folder and there's no 'OpenJK.cfg' anywhere.

Nevermind, found out how to make it work. But I've ran into another issue. When running OpenJK with JA++, there's no text anywhere in the menu UI. Additionally, I get this error whenever I go into the saber menu to change hilt.

Shutting down OpenGL subsystem
UI_UpdateSaberHilt: Could not find item (saber) in menu (ingame_saber)

Anti aliasing also seems to no longer work with this build installed.