Trouble with adjusting graphics for JKA with new graphics card

Hello, I recently upgraded from Radeon to a brand new Asus Geforce 970, and I have had trouble configuring the graphics on JKA. The graphics of the game itself barely changed from when nothing was adjusted, to when everything was turned on at the control panel. All of my drivers are 100% updated, and I have no idea why this is happening. I am completely new to Nvidia and it's features so I may be doing something wrong, it could probably be something more than right clicking and using the Nvidia control panel to change certain aspects. 

Hello, I recently upgraded from Radeon to a brand new Asus Geforce 970, and I have had trouble configuring the graphics on JKA. The graphics of the game itself barely changed from when nothing was adjusted, to when everything was turned on at the control panel. All of my drivers are 100% updated, and I have no idea why this is happening. I am completely new to Nvidia and it's features so I may be doing something wrong, it could probably be something more than right clicking and using the Nvidia control panel to change certain aspects. 

Getting a new graphics card won't magically make an old game new.  If you are wanting to make the game look prettier there's a few things you can do:

-Run JKA in the highest resolution your monitor will support (if you're using openjk you can use r_mode -2 as an argument to automatically use your current desktop resolution, don't forget r_fullscreen 1 if you want full screen too).

-Get a mod that has a higher resolution texture pack eg: http://jkhub.org/files/file/1302-the-jedi-academy-texture-overhaul-hoth/

-Change game settings to use higher settings (eg: 32 bit textures, trilinear filtering, dynamic glow on, etc...)

-Also since you are using a relatively modern graphics card your game will probably suffer from vsync issues if you don't enable it (use r_swapInterval 1 if you don't use in game menu).

Finally don't expect it to look like Frostbite/CryEngine quality, getting a new graphics card does not do that and if that's what you've been led to believe I'm afraid whoever you bought the graphics card from was lying to you.

JKG Developer

You can also use the Nvidia Control Panel to force on anti-aliasing for the game, and this smooths out the edges of all objects, instead of the jagged edges you get by default. Usually a setting of 4x is sufficient and you'll see very noticable improvement, but you can go higher if you want :)

Futuza likes this

Can't seem to get anything to make it work. I never expected it to look amazing, I just wanted it to look similar to the way it did with my old graphics card. I got this new Geforce 970 to run games like Far Cry 4, and actually like you said Crysis 3. I just find it depressing that it looks like it is running on no graphics at all. Is there a possibility it could be certain things I turn on in the control panel that effect it? I turn it all on 16x anti-aliasing and stuff like that, but I put the smoothness on 0% since it says it makes the textures blurrier each time you increase it. I am a graphics freak if I must say so and seeing this takes away the beauty that I see in this game.

Screenshots would help with diagnosing the problem! Make sure you use the /screenshot_tga command or take a print screen and save to a PNG file, so we know the problem isn't lossy artifacts in the image format itself (like JPEG does).

Screenshots would help with diagnosing the problem! Make sure you use the /screenshot_tga command or take a print screen and save to a PNG file, so we know the problem isn't lossy artifacts in the image format itself (like JPEG does).

shot0016.jpg?dl=0

Here's how my graphics used to look

shot0000.jpg?dl=0

And.. Here is how it looks now..

It actually looks a lot worse in-game then it does in this picture. I hope you can find a solution from what I have given you :(

Using the older drivers might work, but that's a bit ridiculous since his other games will likely suffer.  Worth a try I suppose since it isn't all that hard to rollback a driver if it doesn't do anything.

Yeah the difference here appears to be solely anti-aliasing. The first one looks like it has around 16x AA, but the second one looks like it has 2x or 4x AA. Try upping it all the way up in the Nvidia Control Panel.

I believe he said he already tried that...

I turn it all on 16x anti-aliasing and stuff like that, but I put the smoothness on 0% since it says it makes the textures blurrier each time you increase it

JKG Developer

Well I can't tell if the problem is:

• Player model not being lit
  • Player model seeming to have less level of polygonal detail
  • Texture quality poorer
  • Edge aliasing
  • Something else

We need to know exactly what looks worse in-game. I can't tell if the player model being black is the problem he's describing, or just a problem with the lighting on that map.

It might help if the screenshots were from a map with better textures for comparison (maybe BlueIce Nightfall), and taken from the same view point.

Here is how a certain map looks with movement while taking a picture(not entirely sure how to take a video of it).

shot0004.jpg?dl=0

I think dropbox makes the image look more better than it actually is. 

I'm not sure if I should download old drivers, and I also don't know which one would be the right one to download.

Using the older drivers might work, but that's a bit ridiculous since his other games will likely suffer.  Worth a try I suppose since it isn't all that hard to rollback a driver if it doesn't do anything.

I believe he said he already tried that...

Are you using OpenJK? It has more sane defaults for modern hardware, which improves visual quality.
If so, try /cvar_restart; vid_restart
If it goes to windowed mode: /r_fullscreen 1; r_mode -2

I never actually used Openjk hope it's not too complicated. I hope what you say is true about how well the visuals look.

I would show a video if I knew how to record in-game, which I have never done before.

It looks great to me? I still don't understand. 

I think dropbox makes the image look more better than it actually is. 

This is backwards. :P If anything, it would make it look worse, but nope, Dropbox doesn't compress or change anything.

It looks great to me? I still don't understand. 

This is backwards. :P If anything, it would make it look worse, but nope, Dropbox doesn't compress or change anything.

Man I wish you could be alongside me seeing what it actually looks like. All the images and textures blur out in jagged stretch lines, and it makes for a unpleasant gameplay. I may be using OpenJk wrong, since I don't really see much of a difference :(

I hope you guys feel me, and can relate to a huge graphics downgrade. I may have OCD, but for some purpose of getting paranoid over drastic change.