Questions about subtitles, player choices and weapons

Hi,

I have a little bit of questions about JK2 and JKA modding I don't find for some (long) time, and I hope you can help me. Maybe is it very simple, but I'm not an expert in modding world^^

First I'm trying to find a way to always reading subtitles during game, like huttese translations or locked door's indications. How does it works? I searched every way I could.

Second question is about the player's character choice; I would add some species (near-Humans like Mirialans, Wroonians, Chiss etc..) but I don't know how to put them in the menu.

And in another hand, I download here a model which was for player but I wanted to replace a NPC character... And the problem is it's always in player's choices, I would remove it and nothing I tried works...

Third question concerns weapons: this would be great if my mod presents new blasters and new effects, but nothing goes correctly. For example, I want change the effects of Repeater by blue flashes, blobs and other impact effetcs, but it doesn't work and give me gray edges with an error message.

A little bit the same problem with the noghri stick, the muzzle flash works correctly (same effect like blaster) but the impact effect is the original gas smoke, and sounds are those of blaster while I would like put an original sound. Apparently, just copy/paste same blaster shader isn't enough...

And my third annoying thing is I wanted to replace the E-11 with a EE-3 carbine, but when I downloaded the weapon, it was optimised for replacing Wookiee bowcaster ; then it doesn't work when I launch the game, there is no texture in third person view and nothing at all in first person view. By the way, the folder name in downloaded .pk3 is "bowcaster", and even I change the names in folders, shaders and textures, the problem stays.

If anyone has a solution about one of those three problems, I will be greatful.

basically you are asking a modding community how to make most kind of mods here now lol

Anyway, here we goooo!

1st: Translations is something you can find in the strings folder from the assets0.pk3.
They are str files that can be opened and adjusted in notepad (or notepad++ if you prefer).

Those files are made to replace english subtitles. Something like this:

LANG_ENGLISH        "Find an alternate entrance to Echo Base."
LANG_FRENCH         "Trouvez une autre entrée de la base Echo."

The english files however work a bit differently.
REFERENCE           01KYK001
LANG_ENGLISH        "Kyle Katarn, at your service. Welcome to a day in the life of a Jedi. "

And I think it means that any dialogue soundfile, that's triggered by a script, by that name will show that piece of dialogue if the subtitles are on.
I don't know if that works with taunts, since those soundfiles are put in the misc folders for soundsets. But then again, I just looked this up.

2nd: Same as how I figured out the above, download pakscape, and see for yourself what causes what.
There are also mods that add more players. And you can open those files to find what you are looking for ;)

3rd: Those gray edges sound like you either didn't compile a pk3, or didn't use a texture with the power of two (128x128, 265x256, 512x512 etc.) OR didn't write a shader file for it.
Also, study that error message. What does it say? And fix exactly that ;)

last "annoying thing" is probably because you didn't edit the right file. The file you are looking for is probably in the ext_data folder. Shaders, textures and folders are just directions the game looks for to render the file. The script itself is probably named after the e-11 carbine in the weapons.dat file. It will just link to a different model, that you probably editted the texture and shadernames for :P

If you reset that, open that weapons.dat and replace the line of code that's written for the wookie blaster with the original model:
weaponmodel      models/weapons2/bowcaster/bowcaster.md3

and write the line that the mod places there below the WP_BLASTER, it should work ;)

Good luck!

*grabs a drink*

Thank you, but I'm not a total noob, I made some skins (the Peace Trooper uploaded here) and have already translated some strings^^ But I answer with other missing details  in the original post:

1st: Subtitles are present in cinematics, no problem. I can change them, there is nothing bad. But during the game, for Rodians, Grans and other huttese-speaking species, we can have the translations between brackets; for example in JK2, Nar Shaddaa cantina, two Rodian tell Kyle in huttese and this is "in real time" subtitled by "(Leave us your weapons.)". So if it works for some characters, why not in the whole game?

I saw in the MENUS.str a line where was written, under "Never" and "In cinematics" (well this is about subtitles, of course), "Always". So that's possible, but the game doesn't give us this choice in menu! If it's a question of scripts, I'm in a dead end because .IBI files aren't correctly read by Notepad. If you have a tip about it... :rolleyes:

I think the miscs aren't written at all... and this is a shame. Because as I am French, my mods will be with French voiceovers (some friends and I make the dubbing, and we aren't bilingual^^). I make translation from English-speaking mods to French, but my French-speaking mods with English subtitles too! So... if you can't understand dialogs...

2nd:

Same as how I figured out the above, download pakscape, and see for yourself what causes what.
There are also mods that add more players. And you can open those files to find what you are looking for ;)

Already made! :P  And this is because I didn't find I ask^^ For subtitles in game, I was searching in the Dash Rendar Resurgence mod which uses this when we try to open the ship's doors and our droid tell us some things.

For the model, I tried to delete all folders, all files which are not useful for a single NPC, but it persists to show itself in the menu. I will kill it... The model is Deviant Mandalorian, so if its creator goes by here, could he help me/us please?

3rd: My mod is entirely in one PK3. The effects too, of course. Maybe you are right for the "power of two", but the original effect of Repeater's shots is "bryar_sideflash", a rectangular image. I just take it and colorify for a blue result, with another name (don't want the DL-44 and Bryar pistols shooting blue lasers) and write this change in the correct shader, but the game isn't agreed for the fire. Maybe the blobs can be resolved (the original "bullets" were sparks, not blobs like blaster or pistols), I will try it, but for now, shots are non-existant.

Thank you for the tip to invert bowcaster and blaster. This is so simple I didn't thought ^_^

I found other problems after some tests, but for now, try to solve those three, the more importants^^

1st: Subtitles are present in cinematics, no problem. I can change them, there is nothing bad. But during the game, for Rodians, Grans and other huttese-speaking species, we can have the translations between brackets; for example in JK2, Nar Shaddaa cantina, two Rodian tell Kyle in huttese and this is "in real time" subtitled by "(Leave us your weapons.)". So if it works for some characters, why not in the whole game?

I saw in the MENUS.str a line where was written, under "Never" and "In cinematics" (well this is about subtitles, of course), "Always". So that's possible, but the game doesn't give us this choice in menu! If it's a question of scripts, I'm in a dead end because .IBI files aren't correctly read by Notepad. If you have a tip about it... :rolleyes:

I think the miscs aren't written at all... and this is a shame. Because as I am French, my mods will be with French voiceovers (some friends and I make the dubbing, and we aren't bilingual^^). I make translation from English-speaking mods to French, but my French-speaking mods with English subtitles too! So... if you can't understand dialogs...

Subtitles for all voiceovers can be activated in the game setting g_subtitles to 1. Not sure how it's done in that specific stage in Jedi Outcast, though. Also, I'm not sure why this option is not selectable in the menu, but it's there.

Thank you very much! :) It works, but the option is empty and when we click on it, the subtitles are "In cinematics" or "Never" again, so we must re-enter the code in console. But now, I have written the line in the autoexe file, so this question is solved. (if I run after perfection, I would search a thing to have subs for miscs, but this isn't very possible^^).

Well, report:

1.Subtitles-

2.Add/Remove models in playerchoices

3.Problematic effetcs and weapons

About choosing player characters, you should check out this guide: http://jkhub.org/tutorials/article/34-how-to-make-a-singleplayer-species-with-variants/

About the effects, perhaps having the name changed is the problem. Check out the .efx files for those weapons, and see if they're trying to display a certain texture/shader. Otherwise, you could check out the shader, and see if you did everything correctly. Ultimately, there are a few precautions when dealing with textures: if it's a PNG, it must NOT be "Interlaced". If it's a TGA, I'm not sure, but there may be something about the resolution (16/24/32 bits/pixel) . If it's JPG, make sure you saved it as "Baseline ("Standard")".

Why is nothing working? :(

There is progress with effects, but ohter problems are arrived and kill my wishes... For example, the whole game music doesn't play when I add another level soundtrack, and give me this message in console :

Error parsing music data ( in "ext_data/dms.dat" );

Unable to find subjroup "levelmusic"

Unable to find music " [level music].mp3" as  explicit track or dynamic music entry!

The music is in .mp3, 44100Hz, because when I only change a level (for example Byss) it works perfeclty. But when I try to put a music in a level which was written on dms.dat file "uses yavin_1", it gives me this error message. Same thing in try for boss' or cinematics musics (troubling, there was some of them in JK2 and nothing in JKA... Bad.). I would like have a music file for rift level and for Alora's fights, for final battles on Light and Dark Side, and for several cinematics.

I would like to know how unique music loop as the Corellian rail level works too, this isn't clearly explain in files...

Another problem is my skins aren't working. I found the manipulations to have new species in choice menu, but clothing or hair is invisible, or mad-textured. In other words: rubbish. I don't understand what happens, all path lines are correct, everything is awesome accruate... Maybe I wanted to wearing to a model some clothes of other species (Zabrak, Twi'lek and Human Females). This tooks me several hours to skinning new clothes with the originals, so I would like this doesn't cause too big troubles... I can share the beta .pk3 if you want to see actual work.

• 2 weeks later...