STEM System Lightsaber Demo

It's great to see that they are trying to create something like this, but two things about this particular experiment:

The Good:

1. It looks like they've finally mastered the viewpoint/look-around in virtual reality.

2. Slowing down the real-time action is a nice touch, and helps the player follow what's happening with a good illusion of realism.

The Bad:

1. That headset and grip device look like they're right out of the 80s. How much does that thing weigh? I wouldn't want to carry it on my head for more than a minute.

2. The response time on that swing action looks awfully slow to me. It reminds me of the awful level of motion detail in the MotionPlus of the Nintendo Wii. If it's not spot on, it just won't feel natural.

The Ugly:

1. I got to see it, and now you have to hear my critical analysis of it… :P

2. Move along... move along...

1. That headset and grip device look like they're right out of the 80s. How much does that thing weigh? I wouldn't want to carry it on my head for more than a minute.

I'm surprised you haven't heard of the headset before. It's the Oculus Rift, which has been in development for 2 or 3 years now. According to Wikipedia, it weighs 379g or 13.4oz - if you exclude the lenses (which are 90g on their own), that's as much as a bicycle helmet weighs. To me, that sounds like a very comfortable weight for fairly long stretches of time According to the Oculus Rift website, the headset weighs 0.97lbs or 439g, so even then it's not that heavy :P

Also I'm not sure how you can make the headset look any different. You need the lenses, and an enclosed box which is essentially what the Rift is...

Cerez likes this

That's the Oculus Rift?! o.O

I imagined something… more elegant...

It depends on how comfortably it sits on your head. Half a kilo can be a lot if the straps and design of the device are uncomfortable.

The bigger problem will be with extended exposure to its screen, I think. It seems to me this is much like enclosing yourself in a little dark box with an OLED screen set right in front of your eyes. Without natural light it won't be healthy for the eyes. Although, I do see how this is sort of a necessity for virtual reality...

Bek likes this