Trandoshan variant

So I decided to make an attempt at a trandoshan head, for starters (based mostly on this picture). If it turns out well enough, I suppose it can be used as one of the interchangeable heads. It will have a normal map from the sculpt to make it look good in rend2!

trandoprogress.jpg

Right now I'm working on topology, and currently at 572 polygons. I've done the entire topology from scratch, vertex per vertex - so there are some things I'm not all too experienced with, but I've given it a try.

Mainly I'm concerned about the transition from higher to lower densities of polygons, and would like some tips and feedback on how to properly deal with the obligatory triangles, and feedback about the general poly flow for animation purposes. :)

trandometry1.jpg     trandometry2.jpg

I think some of the loop endings look awkward, and they're not very hard to spot here. Harp!

Not sure if the screenshots are helpful enough, but anyone has some tips or suggestions? @@AshuraDX?

Again the main concern is maintaining good edge flow while reducing the density on the back of the head. I don't like these tris!

I'll probably fiddle around with more fine details in the high poly sculpt soon.

Also, if this was to be an interchangeable head, is there something I should take care of regarding vertex count of the neck?

DT. likes this

the topology should work out for such an old game , anyway to answer your other question , there is not much deformation happening at the upper half of his heads backside so don't worry about those triangles , you might want it to match the neck of the base JKA models

I don't know how many sides it has to be right now though , just import your retopoed mesh into 3ds max

import a base JA model and then scale and target weld as required also : try to get that head under 500 vertices otherwise it wont shade correctly ingame - sadly

Boothand likes this

the topology should work out for such an old game , anyway to answer your other question , there is not much deformation happening at the upper half of his heads backside so don't worry about those triangles , you might want it to match the neck of the base JKA models

I don't know how many sides it has to be right now though , just import your retopoed mesh into 3ds max

import a base JA model and then scale and target weld as required also : try to get that head under 500 vertices otherwise it wont shade correctly ingame - sadly

I thought that @@Xycaleth said that 500 vert limit per object (for shading) only applied to stencil shadows, no?
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's what I have so far, but not looking all as good as I had hoped, at this moment. The texture has some way to go still. Might change some things around in the UVs too. Haven't implemented that much scaliness yet, but didn't see so many in the face on most Bossk references.

The geometry should be fine-ish though. The vertex count of the neck matches the original, and total 1,108 polygons after triangulation (561 vertices).

Sketchfab link.

Texture link.

Reference: http://www.loresdelsith.net/universo/cr/bin/bossk02.jpg

Edit: I realize I should make the face take up a lot more space in the UVs. Also for some reason I almost always end up with some unsmooth texture. The colors don't fade well into each other. I think it's because of Zbrush somehow.

Keyten likes this
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Haven't done any more to the UVs (which is what will determine whether it looks good or not), but guess I'll have to know if it's likely to be used, otherwise I may not find time for it ^^. In any case, it's probably just the head and not a full character, unless I stumble upon some massive inspiration gust.

Seems like @@Mandalorian is working on a Bossk project though, but I didn't quite understand what was modified and what was re-made on that thing. If this head model (while disregarding the texture I rendered) is favorable, it could be used there (the vertex count on the neck should match), otherwise I'm not likely to do anything to it in a while.