Any news on JKG?

Anyone know about that mod called JKG? it looked pretty impressive, but I have not seen anything new about it, not even on their site. 

Guess it depends on what you want to know?  Right now we're running a beta test of the new launcher, to make sure I didn't break anything with it before I move on to the game itself.  Pande is finishing up another map that will be released (and hopefully he'll have time to bug fix some of the old ones that have a few minor errors) soon-ish, this will likely also be released as a regular jka map as well.

As far as game content?  No, not much has changed, especially since eezstreet retired, no one has really worked much on the game code itself since March 25, 2014.  However, depending on how long you've been away, there may be some interesting tidbits of news that you may not have heard yet:

-We switched over to using openjk as the engine (lots of work, also lots of things are somewhat broken, due to the fact that when we used jamp we used a lot of engine hooks to do things)

-Lightsabers were added (fair warning they're a little broken in the current build)

-More UI work was done, very little of the jka ui remains (what is still left is temporary)

-NPC AI is more fancy (still a little retarded though, especially with sabers, but hey it is a lot better than base jka)

-A bounty system was also put in place (needs more work though)

-We went opensource so everyone can easily contribute and help us make the game better

Assuming I get the last of the launcher bugs worked out in the next week or two, I hope to be able to start fixing a few of the bugs in the current build:

-Broken weapon ammo counters (formerly used an engine hook, so it needs to be rewritten)

-Correct the way JKG Server's show up in the server list (we currently show ALL jka servers, oops)

-Fix lightsabers (the block system isn't quite working as intended and animations are a bit derpy)

-Add a new ammo system (basically if you run out ammo, you can buy new ammo), along with this I also need to bring back the "sell" button in the shop allowing you to resell weapons back

-ReMerge JKG to be back on track with latest OpenJK builds (read: fix a lot of things that will probably break when this happens)

-Other things I'm forgetting about like Derpy Roll/Crouching, Sprint Stuttering, Invisible Saber bug, vid_restart drops client data etc...

Long Term Goals from my perspective:

-Work with Pande to get a sample hub world implemented (possibly with a simple quest and some talking npcs that do stuff, etc...)

-Implement some new gametypes, eg: Protect the VIP, Assassin, CTF etc...

-Get the account system working and some basic character data storing eg: server remembers how many credits you had when you last logged out, what your position was, what team you were on etc...

Probably more than you wanted to know, but hey there you go.  The best way to keep up with us, is just ask how things are going on our IRC channel.  Easy link here: http://jkgalaxies.com/irc/

Circa, therfiles, Onysfx and 2 others like this

JKG Developer

Guess it depends on what you want to know?  Right now we're running a beta test of the new launcher, to make sure I didn't break anything with it before I move on to the game itself.  Pande is finishing up another map that will be released (and hopefully he'll have time to bug fix some of the old ones that have a few minor errors) soon-ish, this will likely also be released as a regular jka map as well.

As far as game content?  No, not much has changed, especially since eezstreet retired, no one has really worked much on the game code itself since March 25, 2014.  However, depending on how long you've been away, there may be some interesting tidbits of news that you may not have heard yet:

-We switched over to using openjk as the engine (lots of work, also lots of things are somewhat broken, due to the fact that when we used jamp we used a lot of engine hooks to do things)

-Lightsabers were added (fair warning they're a little broken in the current build)

-More UI work was done, very little of the jka ui remains (what is still left is temporary)

-NPC AI is more fancy (still a little retarded though, especially with sabers, but hey it is a lot better than base jka)

-A bounty system was also put in place (needs more work though)

-We went opensource so everyone can easily contribute and help us make the game better

Assuming I get the last of the launcher bugs worked out in the next week or two, I hope to be able to start fixing a few of the bugs in the current build:

-Broken weapon ammo counters (formerly used an engine hook, so it needs to be rewritten)

-Correct the way JKG Server's show up in the server list (we currently show ALL jka servers, oops)

-Fix lightsabers (the block system isn't quite working as intended and animations are a bit derpy)

-Add a new ammo system (basically if you run out ammo, you can buy new ammo), along with this I also need to bring back the "sell" button in the shop allowing you to resell weapons back

-ReMerge JKG to be back on track with latest OpenJK builds (read: fix a lot of things that will probably break when this happens)

-Other things I'm forgetting about like Derpy Roll/Crouching, Sprint Stuttering, Invisible Saber bug, vid_restart drops client data etc...

Long Term Goals from my perspective:

-Work with Pande to get a sample hub world implemented (possibly with a simple quest and some talking npcs that do stuff, etc...)

-Implement some new gametypes, eg: Protect the VIP, Assassin, CTF etc...

-Get the account system working and some basic character data storing eg: server remembers how many credits you had when you last logged out, what your position was, what team you were on etc...

Probably more than you wanted to know, but hey there you go.  The best way to keep up with us, is just ask how things are going on our IRC channel.  Easy link here: http://jkgalaxies.com/irc/

Sounds good, shame Eezstreet left, good luck with the mod, I would hate to see it die :P

A question is there a way to play with bots in JKG, I can never find any servers running with players with the JKG mod. 

Sounds good, shame Eezstreet left, good luck with the mod, I would hate to see it die :P

A question is there a way to play with bots in JKG, I can never find any servers running with players with the JKG mod. 

I usually only see people on the official dev server, usually weekday evenings get a little bit more exciting. (87.57.222.92)

JKG Developer

And the bots can be a little derp. Or more than a little. Still they are way more fun to shoot at than base.

Except when people spam the rocket launcher and say they "rekt" everyone else (happened to me about a week or two ago in the JKG server :()