Converting .ase to .md3?

Go to solution Solved by Szico VII,

Guest KENNITHH

So.. what do you suggest I do now?

I have the model in .map file and it's all fine with textures and shapes. I use this program to convert to ase http://jkhub.org/fil...verter-utility/

But it gets very bugged and I would rather converted it directly from .map to md3

As I suggested here:

(from q3 .MAP to HalfLife .MAP to .OBJ to .MD3)

1- Open your Q3 map in hlq3map_convertor.exe and convert the map to HalfLife .map

2- Open the HalfLife .map in Nem's Tools: Crafty and export it as .OBJ

3- Open the .OBJ in your preffered model editing software and save as .MD3

1-hlq3map_convertor.exe : http://www.mediafire.com/download/mmyjf540i775lyk/hlq3map_convertor.exe

2-Nem's Tools: Crafty : http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/files/files/crafty102.zip

3-MilkShape 3D/3dsmax/Blender/...

EDIT:Nvm, i forgot that it messes up the texture location, try boothands way under this post

What I would try, if not downloading a 3D modeling software, would be:

• Use GtkRadiant's "brushexport2" (under plugins) and export it as .OBJ from GtkRadiant (works).
  • Use Noesis to convert to md3.

If textures are missing in the md3, reassigning them usually means you have to edit it with some software and re-export with newly assigned textures.

What I would try, if not downloading a 3D modeling software, would be:

• Use GtkRadiant's "brushexport2" (under plugins) and export it as .OBJ from GtkRadiant (works).
  • Use Noesis to convert to md3.

If textures are missing in the md3, reassigning them usually means you have to edit it with some software and re-export with newly assigned textures.

is brushexport2 function in gtk 1.4 as well? Because I can't find it ;o

Guest KENNITHH

it contains patches. 

When I try to open .obj Noesis says This file type cannot be previewed, but may be exportable. Would you like to export?

I click yes and choose md3 as output file though when I go to directory path there's no md3 file there.

Could it be something with admin rights maybe? I remember compiling a map without admin right and nothing would be created, might be the same in your case?

So.. what do you suggest I do now?

I have the model in .map file and it's all fine with textures and shapes. I use this program to convert to ase http://jkhub.org/files/file/950-map-to-ase-converter-utility/

But it gets very bugged and I would rather converted it directly from .map to md3 

Perhaps you should convert it manually and if it has patches you'll need to use the -patchmeta line otherwise none of the patches will be put into the .ase

Once you've done that, ase to md3 in Noesis works a charm.

• Solution

@@Fire Phoenix

When converting to .ase it gives the error:

FloatPlane: badnormal

BaseWindingForPlaneAccu: no dominant axis found because normal is too short.

Having looked at the .map, theres 2 major issues I can see.

1) You haven't built the patches to fit the grid - I suggest remaking it and using the snap to grid option to make sure everything lines up.

2) You need some brush geometry, even if its only caulk box in the middle (detail brush), and it should all be surrounded by a caulk structural brush box as well

3) BobToolz brush cleanup revealed several phantom and bad brushes/patches, probably related to you not building them to the grid.

After fixing the problems with the .map, the ASE conversion (using -patchmeta and -subdivisions 4) and subsequent conversion to md3 worked perfectly. I haven't rebuilt it to the grid, you can do that (and you should)

KuMbehwl.jpg?1

Download Fixed files

Fire Phoenix and Boothand like this